The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

Shelby GT350 Build..."HAN SOLO"

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

50Deep

Jockin' GT350's
Sacramento
Got the DCT Motorsports carbon fiber/leather GT350R style steering wheel installed. Process was pretty easy using the instructions you can find from Ford Performance, and vides from Late Model Restoration. Took me an hour total and that included taking photos along the way. These should get you through the process pretty easily, but here are a few things of note.

https://performanceparts.ford.com/download/instructionsheets/FordInstShtM-3600-M350R_FP.pdf
https://lmr.com/products/how-to-install-mustang-gt350-steering-wheel-15-16

Make sure you have the negative battery cable disconnected for at least 1 minute before starting. Once the airbag is loose make sure you pop out these little orange clips to release the connectors

DCTMS_GT350_R_Steering_Wheel_1.jpg

This is a good photo of all the screw locations for when you reassemble. Note you will use the supplied screws from DCTMS that are already installed in the new wheel

DCTMS_GT350_R_Steering_Wheel_2.jpg

Lift up on this edge to disengage the tabs once the screws are removed

DCTMS_GT350_R_Steering_Wheel_3.jpg

The bottom bezel is on kind of tight due to this small piece. Lift up from the bottom with a little force and it will pop out.

DCTMS_GT350_R_Steering_Wheel_4.jpg
DCTMS_GT350_R_Steering_Wheel_5.jpg

These clips that hold the airbag in place need to be transferred over to the DCTMS steering wheel. They seat on a small ledge on the wheel. Use a screw driver or pry tool to compress it past the seat and it will slide out. Installation into the new wheel is best done with a pair of pliers and a small pick or screw driver to help seat it back into place.

DCTMS_GT350_R_Steering_Wheel_7.jpg
DCTMS_GT350_R_Steering_Wheel_6.jpg

This entire plastic piece will pop off the steering wheel frame so just pull form the top and sides gently to separate them. You will see push pins at 3, 6, and 9 o'clock on the steering wheel. Keep note of how all the wires are ran as you push it back into the new DCTMS frame.

DCTMS_GT350_R_Steering_Wheel_8.jpg
DCTMS_GT350_R_Steering_Wheel_9.jpg

Here are some side by side comparison shots I snapped quickly to show the differences in construction. The flat bottom is noticeably longer on the DCTMS version. I took some rough measurements and it appears the OEM wheel is about 14 ¾ inches all around. The DCTMS version is about 14 inches top to bottom, and 14 ½ inches side to side. Depth appears to be identical.

DCTMS_GT350_R_Steering_Wheel_10.jpg
DCTMS_GT350_R_Steering_Wheel_11.jpg
DCTMS_GT350_R_Steering_Wheel_12.jpg
DCTMS_GT350_R_Steering_Wheel_13.jpg
DCTMS_GT350_R_Steering_Wheel_14.jpg
DCTMS_GT350_R_Steering_Wheel_15.jpg
DCTMS_GT350_R_Steering_Wheel_16.jpg

The final product looks good if you ask me. The juice was definitely worth the squeeze.

DCTMS_GT350_R_Steering_Wheel_17.jpg

DCTMS does not have these up for sale on their web page yet, but should be live soon. They have a carbon fiber ($599) and full leather ($449) option available. Looks like they also do custom colored stitching. I will be organizing a group buy with all the information and hopefully a lower initial pricing. Be on the lookout for that thread here soon.

50Deep

Jockin' GT350's
Sacramento
Got the new shift knob installed and took a few better pictures of it and the steering wheel
Sugar_Mill_R_039_s_8_of_8.jpg
Sugar_Mill_R_039_s_1_of_8.jpg

I also got to spend a little time with [MENTION=21698]swedensky[/MENTION] and @Dtmaso with their R's. Managed to get their cars all dirty in the process of snapping a few pictures. More and better shots to come

Sugar_Mill_R_039_s_5_of_8.jpg
Sugar_Mill_R_039_s_3_of_8.jpg
Sugar_Mill_R_039_s_2_of_8.jpg

50Deep

Jockin' GT350's
Sacramento
Looks good but I’d keep my stock one for better grip on the track. I wouldn’t want the slicker surface on my steering wheel

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I had a similar thought, but for the most part when you are on track you should be wearing gloves. The leather portion at 9/3 is where your hands should be at all times anyway. Based on the instruction I have gotten, there should never really be a need for your hands to cross or to grip the top of the wheel.

I would think that your Girl can never be hot enough for you. To sort of speak>>>
Even if you date twins. One always has your heart more than the other.
But I can understand why people would scratch there heads on this.
IMO that's the fun in ownership. It's yours and your to do what you please. Bolt on parts is like makeup. At the end of the day (ownership) it all washes off and returned to stock. Cutting or welding is like cosmetic surgery. Point of no return.
An R model is only special to those that want them. I for one could never buy a car and feel forced to keep it 100% factory or afraid to drive it. That is unless I had no need to ever wonder how much money I have.
I enjoy seeing what other people can come up with to enhance there ride.

I would think that your Girl can never be hot enough for you. To sort of speak>>>
Even if you date twins. One always has your heart more than the other.
But I can understand why people would scratch there heads on this.
IMO that's the fun in ownership. It's yours and your to do what you please. Bolt on parts is like makeup. At the end of the day (ownership) it all washes off and returned to stock. Cutting or welding is like cosmetic surgery. Point of no return.
An R model is only special to those that want them. I for one could never buy a car and feel forced to keep it 100% factory or afraid to drive it. That is unless I had no need to ever wonder how much money I have.
I enjoy seeing what other people can come up with to enhance there ride.

Still makes no sense to me. But to each their own.

Last edited:

302 Hi Pro

Boss 302 - Racing Legend to Modern Muscle Car
Southeast
SH:
That was a great analogy, I know exactly what you mean! Hahaha

But, as good as the R is, it’s was born as a 50 State retail passenger car, so “Total Performance” improvements can be made.

Whatever one does to their ride, enjoy it as life is short.

50Deep

Jockin' GT350's
Sacramento
No idea why you would do all of this to an R when you already had a GT350.
The R is so special and rare.
Not judging just don't get it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
This is the best way I can put it. You've bought almost every race inspired part there is and installed it on your car. But to my knowledge you haven't tracked it, or taken any data in stock trim to see if it made any difference at all. One would ask why you even buy those parts if you aren't planning to use them. Simple answer is that is what you enjoy.

No car is too rare to be modified. Once you die it's over bro. Life is too short to stay stock. As a wise man once said, "Dont go putting the vagina on a pedestal."

50Deep

Jockin' GT350's
Sacramento
George and the guys @MGW are at it again. I just got my hands on the new Scudo line of wallets he has created. I have to tell you the damn thing is pretty slick. Light weight, made in 'Merica, and RFID protected with MIL spec rated coatings. The engraving and machining is a work of art. I will get some better photographs when I get time, but I almost positive @Tob will have all the details coming shortly. These are custom engravable as well. Check them out in depth at www.mgwscudo.com

IMG_1632.JPGIMG_1635.JPG

Wow that looks just like the one I saw with a child seat in the back.

76BAF4E0-E020-4FBE-901B-98CC1B6733FE.jpeg

Another wise man mentioned you can put anything on a pedestal as long as you are enjoying it and not just admiring it...;) "on a pedestal " meaning highly regarded. Those three stangs look great together! They must sound like thunder going down the road opening up.50Deep ..lookin good! You're a celebrity now...:D

Last edited:

TMO Supporting Vendors

Buy TMO Apparel

Buy TMO Apparel