The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

  • Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

Special ordered a MRT offroad H pipe with side exhaust provisions

Other then Kooks and the header companies, anone else selling offroad pipes with provisions for the side pipes? I can't believe I had to special order this. I can't wait to hear the car. :(
 

Justin

Save the dawn for your dishes!!!
How much was it if you dont mind me asking?

I have searched and searched for other options and all I can find is the kooks longtube/mid pipe option or the MRT. there is a flowmaster set up but its a full cat back affair so its not off road

http://www.flowmastermufflers.com/shop/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=0&products_id=4489&ab=817553&recordID=554&vehicle=&orig=817553

817553.jpg
 
Justin said:
How much was it if you dont mind me asking?

I have searched and searched for other options and all I can find is the kooks longtube/mid pipe option or the MRT. there is a flowmaster set up but its a full cat back affair so its not off road

http://www.flowmastermufflers.com/shop/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=0&products_id=4489&ab=817553&recordID=554&vehicle=&orig=817553

817553.jpg

Justin, a full 3 inch and it hooks to the side pipes. He quoted me $599 plus shipping. It's high, but when it's not offered anywhere, what can you do? I'm amazed no one is selling this... Ditching the cats is where the power is, and they have to know peple want to keep the side pipe... :mad:
 
In Texas, we just have an OBD test... If you find a good tuner, they can make it display "ready" . I tunes my Head and Cam Vette with HP tuners and passed without cats.. They just plugin to your port and if displays ready and you don't have any errors you will pass...
 
130
0
xstang said:
In Texas, we just have an OBD test... If you find a good tuner, they can make it display "ready" . I tunes my Head and Cam Vette with HP tuners and passed without cats.. They just plugin to your port and if displays ready and you don't have any errors you will pass...

I want to hear more about how tuners can lock it in READY. You've seen this with the Coyotes? Tuners have more control with the LSx engines.
 
xstang said:
In Texas, we just have an OBD test... If you find a good tuner, they can make it display "ready" . I tunes my Head and Cam Vette with HP tuners and passed without cats.. They just plugin to your port and if displays ready and you don't have any errors you will pass...

They are not tuning the PCM to make the CAT "ready". They are tuning the PCM to make the CAT monitor "unsupported", which in most cases will allow an OBD inspection to pass, as the CAT test is not performed. Most state inspections allow this at this time, but I beleive that is going to change shortly though for most states that use an OBD emission test.
 
I guess what I'm saying... Here in TX, you can run an offroad pipe and pass emissions. You have to pass the "readiness test" and that can be handled by tuning (I did it on my Vette via HP Tuners)... If it changes, I guess I'll have to swap the midpipe once a year ;)
 

Justin

Save the dawn for your dishes!!!
xstang said:
I guess what I'm saying... Here in TX, you can run an offroad pipe and pass emissions. You have to pass the "readiness test" and that can be handled by tuning (I did it on my Vette via HP Tuners)... If it changes, I guess I'll have to swap the midpipe once a year ;)
In texas cant you run without a hood or doors and still pass inspection? thats what I guy I worked with from tx told me lol
 
I'd say you are actually more likely to fail for tire wear or wipers than an offroad pipe. I'm trying to let people know there is a good chance they can still pass inspection with an offroad pipe. The inspector's haven't EVER looked under the car to check. I'm not sure if it's because the cars are so low or what. In NJ, I heard they use long mirror to look under the car. That hasn't happened to me so far and I 've had several cars inspected since 1998 (in various locations). I'm not guaranteeing anything, but I'm just passing on actual firsthand experience.

The emissions stuff on my cars have always been tested Via the OBD port. If you do not have errors and the car passes the readiness test, then you are good to go from an emissions standpoint. No visual inspection so far....
 

Justin

Save the dawn for your dishes!!!
xstang said:
I'd say you are actually more likely to fail for tire wear or wipers than an offroad pipe. I'm trying to let people know there is a good chance they can still pass inspection with an offroad pipe. The inspector's haven't EVER looked under the car to check. I'm not sure if it's because the cars are so low or what. In NJ, I heard they use long mirror to look under the car. That hasn't happened to me so far and I 've had several cars inspected since 1998 (in various locations). I'm not guaranteeing anything, but I'm just passing on actual firsthand experience.

The emissions stuff on my cars have always been tested Via the OBD port. If you do not have errors and the car passes the readiness test, then you are good to go from an emissions standpoint. No visual inspection so far....
in va? here around the hampton roads area they always gave me grief for no cats on my 06. Thats why it never got an inspection sticker I just chanced getting pulled over.
 
130
0
xstang said:
In NJ, I heard they use long mirror to look under the car.

Yes, here in NJ they have a mirror on a broom stick that they use to look under the car. Honestly they do it so fast I think they're just looking for a bump in the exhaust pipe, they don't examine it closely. And they do the OBD II plug in test and the gas tank purge test. But they discontinued all safety tests a couple of years back so inspection in NJ is now emissions only. Hopefully that gets s---canned too soon with the budget cuts. At least we don't need inspection for 5 years on a new car and only every 2 years thereafter now.
 

fbbob96

2013 SBY #0750
So many states have all these inspections. I'm glad,at least for that reason I live in South Carolina. These guys don't inspect sh*t on anything!
 

TMO Supporting Vendors

Top