The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

Steeda Strut Mount stuck

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

I have steeda hd strut mounts on my Bilstein b6 struts. I have the springs compressed and the nut removed off the shaft in the strut. The mount will not budget at all and I can't see what is keeping it on there. Ive tried to tap at it with a rubber mallet, use a flathead to try and pry it upwards. I've stopped before I do any damage.

Any ideas?

IMG_20200814_183346.jpgIMG_20200814_183354.jpg

Last edited:
Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
5-10 Years
Philly Metro Area
Is the spring compressed to the point there is no pressure on the bottom of the mount? It looks like there may be since the coil is still against the bottom of the mount (unless its just gravity) If there is any pressure there could be a side load on the mount forcing it against the shaft.

Is the spring compressed to the point there is no pressure on the bottom of the mount? It looks like there may be since the coil is still against the bottom of the mount (unless its just gravity) If there is any pressure there could be a side load on the mount forcing it against the shaft.

I'll spray wd40 in it tonight. Yes the springs is compressed quite a lot to the point I can freely move it up and down.

Earlier on I had removed the top strut nut. Struggling to remove the strut mount, I carefully and evenly began loosening the spring compressers to try and use the force of the springs to pop off the mount and nothing happened. This is both strut mounts.

Nothing else it can really be other than its corroded together. You may have to use a press to try to force the strut through. You can spin on the nut till it has full thread engagement and tap on that with a hammer and a socket, or last case use a press and a socket on the nut to try and not damage the shaft and hydraulically force it out. Good luck.

xr7

TMO Addict?
Exp. Type
Autocross
Exp. Level
10-20 Years
Minnesota
I would screw the nut back on the top of the strut, you want the nut on far enough that all threads of the nut are fully engaged, take the spring compressors off Stand the strut straight up, put your WD40 in, enough to pool and let the spring do the work for you. Other option would be to put an allen head socket in the top of the strut shaft and tap it with a hammer, spring tension, lubrication and some vibrations may help it break loose.

Last edited:

302 Hi Pro

Boss 302 - Racing Legend to Modern Muscle Car
Southeast
Definitely put the top strut nut back on to keep it from exploding off the strut shaft.

Be careful with compressed springs.

TMO Supporting Vendors