The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

Story Time: Camaro Eater

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Just a quick story... For those of you that have driven it, the stretch between Tulsa and OKC on I-44 is pretty damn boring. It's a 75 mph speed limit but everyone does 80+ mph.

Enough background... On to the fun part. So here I am, doing about 85 with cruise control set in the right lane. Just minding my own business. I look up in the rear view mirror to see a bright orange with white stripe SS Camaro come flying up in the left lane only to slow down abruptly. Driver is older, probably in his 50's and his wife is glaring at me out the passenger window. He starts bumping me a bit, trying to see if I will bite.

Now normally I wouldn't oblige, not into illegal racing. But it's a new gen SS! I have always wanted to race one as they are bigger motor cars with more HP.

Guys, let's just say it wasn't even a race. He was downshifting and double clutching to get everything possible out of that thing and I wasn't even giving the Boss a WOT pull. The guy wouldn't let up after 3 or 4 pulls from 60 mph up to around 100 so I decided to show him something Camaro owners aren't familiar with. Slowed down to juts under 60 in 5th and double clutched down to 3rd, barking the tires. Takes a lot of power to chirp rubber at 60 mph. Interestingly enough, after that demonstration of power, he slowed down and disappeared over time :)

God I love these cars. We truly do drive legendary machines and at 26 years old, I am willing to admit I'm one lucky SOB.

Cheers!
Mason

Edit: I was recently "educated" on the difference between downshifting and rev matching and double clutching.

Ya, meant rev matching... Oh well, live and learn.

OKCBossman said:
Edit: I was recently "educated" on the difference between downshifting and rev matching and double clutching.

Ya, meant rev matching... Oh well, live and learn.

All the better if you had double clutched, especially once you are able to do it really fast.

TMO Supporting Vendors

Latest posts

Buy TMO Apparel

Buy TMO Apparel