The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

Strange object caught in oil pickup screen?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
5-10 Years
Arizona
I've got the engine from my 2017 Mustang GT tore down due to low compression on cylinders 7-8 after my last track day. Some pretty good ring land damage and cylinder scoring which is what I was expecting to find. Everything else looked perfect. Pretty much zero wear on the crank and bearings.

I was cleaning up the oil pickup tube and I found this ball. It is not magnetic. It is 0.095" in diameter and has a black spec on it that won't wipe away. Anyone recognize what this is? I'm not aware of any ball bearings and nothing appeared to be damaged other than the two pistons. Could it be a plug that was pressed into a passage somewhere in the head or block? It's not obvious where it came from.

I took the cam phasers apart because thought there may be some type of bearing in there but there is not.

Kind of nervous building this thing back up without knowing where it came from.

IMG_8882.jpg

TMO Supporting Vendors