The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

Surprise Suprise

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Started up the Boss today and got a "Check Fuel Fill Inlet" message on my dash??????.....anybody had one of these??????? What do I check for, exactly??????.......I'm just hoping there's not a problem filling up next time it's needed......if life was easy, anybody could do it..............Old school cars never had this problem............still no regrets upgrading to the Boss, although a lot has improved since then....................

Most likely the little metal tab on the capless fuel inlet isn't sealing properly. The easy fix which might work is to spray it all down with WD40 and use either compressed air or the plastic fuel fill nozzle in the trunk to move that tab back and forth and try to get it sealing properly again. If that doesn't work, the more involved repair (which I had to do) is to replace that entire line from the fuel fill down to the tank. It's not hard but it's a little tedious since a fair bit of stuff needs to come out to get access. There are YouTube videos for both repairs. Good luck.

TMSBOSS

Spending my pension on car parts and track fees.
Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
10-20 Years
Illinois
Bob

Simple is usually better. Sometimes it’s hard to convince the consumer of this. The OEMs are giving us what we ask for.

I changed the tube to the tank about 5 years ago. It worked for a while. Now I do the WD-40 fix. Much easier and it works. Spray it in, function the metal tab with the plastic filler piece ford put in our trunk and there is a good chance the problem is fixed.

Started up the Boss today and got a "Check Fuel Fill Inlet" message on my dash??????.....anybody had one of these??????? What do I check for, exactly??????.......I'm just hoping there's not a problem filling up next time it's needed......if life was easy, anybody could do it..............Old school cars never had this problem............still no regrets upgrading to the Boss, although a lot has improved since then....................
Make sure the rubber seal one the outside lid is clean and making good contact with the body…it’s that seal that acts as a fuel cap and if not sealing properly will trigger a large evap leak which may produce that message

TMO Supporting Vendors