The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

The 2018 GT500 Rumor Thread!

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Let the fun begin! Photos surfaced today of what appears to be the new 2018 GT500. It had what looked like a Steeda wing on the back with a mix of GT350R CF wheels and lightweight three piece wheels like what were seen on the GT350 when testing at the Ring. The Mustang could receive a refresh of the front and rear like in past years so take that into account. So let's start posting what our predictions for this car are. Here's mine:

TT V8 5.2L cross plane crank with 730 HP
10 speed auto like what's being used in the Raptor and GM cars
Hopefully the manual out of the GT350 will be offered if it can handle the torque
Lots of the suspension and brakes will be similar to what we see on the GT350
Hopefully some really trick launch control so the 0-60 time can get down to 3.5 seconds or less

Anyone else want to take a guess?

ArizonaBOSS

Because racecar.
Arizona, USA
I don't know what that is, but I don't want Horsepowerkings.com to be correct, out of spite :)

My guess is that is a GT350 w/ refreshed front fascia/headlight treatment for MY2018.

Well guess Ford has to keep the Shelby label out there. If it were up to me I would re introduce it under the old GT 500 tag., with an all alum structure and a 6.2L flat plane motor with a S/C. I think its reasonable to think Fords mfg experience with the alum F150 will find its way into other cars in the future. HP to weight is still the way to go. 8)

In the V6L
VoodooBOSS said:
Let the fun begin! Photos surfaced today of what appears to be the new 2018 GT500. It had what looked like a Steeda wing on the back with a mix of GT350R CF wheels and lightweight three piece wheels like what were seen on the GT350 when testing at the Ring. The Mustang could receive a refresh of the front and rear like in past years so take that into account. So let's start posting what our predictions for this car are. Here's mine:

TT V8 5.2L cross plane crank with 730 HP
10 speed auto like what's being used in the Raptor and GM cars
Hopefully the manual out of the GT350 will be offered if it can handle the torque
Lots of the suspension and brakes will be similar to what we see on the GT350
Hopefully some really trick launch control so the 0-60 time can get down to 3.5 seconds or less

Anyone else want to take a guess?

I'm guessing the 600HP twin-turbo 3.5 Ecoboost out of the Raptor/GT and two 70HP electric motors driving the two front wheels and a battery where the back seat used to be. Total HP - 740 and just enough battery capacity to get through a couple of quarter-mile runs. The gearbox would be the 10-speed auto. The straight line performance would be amazing with vast amounts of torque and all-wheel drive. As for handling, it'll weigh about the same as a GT350 and have better weight distribution as well as real torque vectoring.

JAJ said:
I'm guessing the 600HP twin-turbo 3.5 Ecoboost out of the Raptor/GT and two 70HP electric motors driving the two front wheels and a battery where the back seat used to be. Total HP - 740 and just enough battery capacity to get through a couple of quarter-mile runs. The gearbox would be the 10-speed auto. The straight line performance would be amazing with vast amounts of torque and all-wheel drive. As for handling, it'll weigh about the same as a GT350 and have better weight distribution as well as real torque vectoring.
That's an interesting idea. To match the sub 3 second 0-60 times of some of the exotics they'll need some sort of drive on the front wheels. Your idea would do it.

I'm going to guess it will be a 5.2 variant cross plane V8 in the 650-750 range. I don't think we are going to see a TT version as (I forget who it was in Ford Racing, I believe he died though) said that the Cobra Jet was just a fun little side project to work on.
10 speed automatic possibly, but chances are it will be manual transmission if we are following in line with the GT500 tradition.
IDK about AWD though. I know the GT350 looks like it has something that can suggest the possibility of AWD, but also remember that the coyote heads have provisions for DI since its inception as well and we haven't seen that as of yet either.
Who knows if Ford will try and market this is a great handling car or as a car that will be aimed towards some great straight line performance with some good track manors.

If I were designing the GT500 I would start here...
Take the GT350 and add,
1- cast aluminum or fabricated tubular front K member.
2- aluminum front control arms.
3- cast aluminum or fabricated tubular rear IRS crossmember.
4- carbon fiber drive shaft.
5- forged monoblock aluminum wheels.
6- keep the aluminum front fenders, hood and add aluminum doors and deck lid.
7- use either a 600+ hp 3.5 ecoboost TT V6 OR a 5.2 crossplane with direct injection TT.
8- offered with both the 10 speed automatic or 6 speed Tremec.
9- give it all the correct coolers.
10- keep the GT350 brakes, but offer as an option carbon ceramic rotors.
11- keep the magride of course.
12- rev match and track data log.
13- oil catch cans as standard.
14- urethane lower control arm and IRS crossmember and differential bushings to eliminate wheel hop.
15- GT350R long wheel studs on all 4 corners.
16- keep the active exhaust! And make it sound bad ass if it's a ecoboost V6!! Please!!

But in reality, I'll be amazed if Ford spends the time and money on a new engine for the next great mustang this soon after the Great GT350. I could see them using the V6 ecoboost or a supercharged 5.0/5.2 crossplane.

I know what won't happen but would work for me...

- start with the R model
- add an updated 5.8 engine/TR6060 transmission and fiber shaft last seen in the '13-'14 GT500

Boom. Done.

mattlqx

Mustangless
Supercharged 5.2 cross-plane V8 good for north of 650hp.
Hood with scoop instead of extractor.
Basically the same brakes/suspension as 350 but with extra stiff bits to combat wheel hop.
More of the regular GT comfort options will be available and all the chrome bits come back.

EcoBeast

V8 twin turbo

more than 707 hp

hearing they are having problems with the transmission and taking all the power

ArizonaBOSS

Because racecar.
Arizona, USA
Industry-first side-by-side EcoBoost inline-4 cylinders rated @ 350hp each, with fuel-saving Engine Deactivation technology.
12-speed manual licensed from Schwinn/Shimano (FPRP to offer 18-speed upgrade deraileur kit).
Weight-saving carbon fiber springs in front and rear suspension.

ArizonaBOSS said:
Industry-first side-by-side EcoBoost inline-4 cylinders rated @ 350hp each, with fuel-saving Engine Deactivation technology.
12-speed manual licensed from Schwinn/Shimano (FPRP to offer 18-speed upgrade deraileur kit).
Weight-saving carbon fiber springs in front and rear suspension.

Well, lets see.

The Porsche 918(and other hybrids) use parallel motors, so it wouldn't be a huge leap to have two 4 cylinder gas engines.

We are up to 10-speed auto transmissions, so 12 can't be far behind. At some point the CVT will make more sense. Shimano would have to beef up their components, but hey, Campagnolo used to supply wheels to Lamborghini (maybe they still do?), so bike manufacturers have already been in the car business.

You do realize that the C7 Corvette carries on the 30+ year old composite leaf springs front and rear, right? Old tech at this point.

ArizonaBOSS

Because racecar.
Arizona, USA
coboss said:
Well, lets see.

The Porsche 918(and other hybrids) use parallel motors, so it wouldn't be a huge leap to have two 4 cylinder gas engines.

We are up to 10-speed auto transmissions, so 12 can't be far behind. At some point the CVT will make more sense. Shimano would have to beef up their components, but hey, Campagnolo used to supply wheels to Lamborghini (maybe they still do?), so bike manufacturers have already been in the car business.

You do realize that the C7 Corvette carries on the 30+ year old composite leaf springs front and rear, right? Old tech at this point.

Stop counter-trolling me :)

TMO Supporting Vendors