The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

The Camaro appears to be on its last legs

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Duane Black

Curbs go brrrppp
Exp. Type
Time Attack
Exp. Level
5-10 Years
Durham, NC
Interesting at the end, it notes we're flocking to SUV, trucks, and crossovers. Thar could have well been written in 1995.

Cars like this are always a niche. I guess each company has its ploy. At one time, automakers used cars like the Mustang or Corvette to woo you into the showroom. You and they both knew it was just a dream for you. Your wife and 2.5 kids and a dog meant that car wouldn't go home with you. But that Corvette woo'd you into the showroom to drool, and you took a new Impala home.

I wonder what this means for the future. Gm always has their Corvette for that purpose. Gm seemed to be going in a pro motorsports direction for years with these cars and the warranty even covered track abuse.

For whatever reason, the consumer has always preferred the Mustang no matter what GM trots out against it though.

The market has changed, us old guys can afford cool new cars that go fast but the new millennial types, in many cases, don't even have a driver's license. Where we looked forward to getting our licenses, going cruising, out on dates and particularly the freedom associated with a vehicle, that in many cases no longer exists. Shops and malls are closing because people shop on line, they communicate by social media, they "hang out" in web groups and they get their kicks from stuff like grand theft auto. I have no idea what they do when they want to get laid, I'm almost afraid to think.
What Ford (and it went in the exact opposite position) is a cheapo, entry level pocket rocket that can be bough for around 22K this is what Kia is selling. I read once where somebody will eventually stick with the brand of the first car they own, I find that remarkably true with my friends, even if they don't still own that brand they still root for them at races, and in some cases wish they could afford one even if economic conditions force them to buy a riceburner. That was the premise of the first mustangs..it was a Falcon for cripes sake, with cool bodywork and easily modified..and a lightweight. I know a big part of this is the DOT crash/emission/mileage song and dance that adds costs, but the mustang is now where the T-birds were in the late 80s..a luxury car that had decent performance. The little Ford Focus RS was a step in the right direction, but I think their marketing was off because they didn't sell many and the dealers never heard of them, the $41K MSRP sure didn't help either.

TMSBOSS

Spending my pension on car parts and track fees.
Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
10-20 Years
Illinois
The little Ford Focus RS was a step in the right direction, but I think their marketing was off because they didn't sell many and the dealers never heard of them, the $41K MSRP sure didn't help either.

Agree

My daughter has one and is in love with it. A shame it was not more popular.

The market has changed, us old guys can afford cool new cars that go fast but the new millennial types, in many cases, don't even have a driver's license. Where we looked forward to getting our licenses, going cruising, out on dates and particularly the freedom associated with a vehicle, that in many cases no longer exists. Shops and malls are closing because people shop on line, they communicate by social media, they "hang out" in web groups and they get their kicks from stuff like grand theft auto. I have no idea what they do when they want to get laid, I'm almost afraid to think.
What Ford (and it went in the exact opposite position) is a cheapo, entry level pocket rocket that can be bough for around 22K this is what Kia is selling. I read once where somebody will eventually stick with the brand of the first car they own, I find that remarkably true with my friends, even if they don't still own that brand they still root for them at races, and in some cases wish they could afford one even if economic conditions force them to buy a riceburner. That was the premise of the first mustangs..it was a Falcon for cripes sake, with cool bodywork and easily modified..and a lightweight. I know a big part of this is the DOT crash/emission/mileage song and dance that adds costs, but the mustang is now where the T-birds were in the late 80s..a luxury car that had decent performance. The little Ford Focus RS was a step in the right direction, but I think their marketing was off because they didn't sell many and the dealers never heard of them, the $41K MSRP sure didn't help either.
You’re absolutely right, blacksheep. I remember when 5th st was my social network. We would loop between Sonic and Family Dollar, stopping here and there to see each other. My first car was a Mustang, and although it wasn’t one of the models that anyone brags about owning, it was everything to me. My freedom. My independence. The ticket to adventure.
Even today, we’ve lived a pretty good life as far as performance cars go-especially the last 10/12 years. We witnessed the rise of the Challenger. The Camaro. Our beloved Mustang. All retro-styled and optioned that (in my opinion, at least) lived up to those legends our parents spoke of so adoringly. They also gifted us with new and modern comforts and features that built an enthusiasm that many thought would never happen again. It makes me sad to see the newer generations not as excited about the prospect of getting their license or the car culture that we’ve built our lives upon. It’s a shame to see the Camaro get killed off again. However, I can’t help but look back over the last decade or so and be thankful for all that has been given to us enthusiasts in that time. We have enjoyed a second golden age of performance cars.

For that I am grateful.

TMO Supporting Vendors