The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

Thickness of OEM Brembo brake pads when new?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

What is the original thickness of a new set of OEM Boss 302 Brembo front brake pads? I'm at 5 mm and am trying to get a feel for remaining percentage. As an aside, does anyone know when the brake warning light goes on in the instrument cluster stat center?

Someone can correct me if I am wrong but the brake warning light on the dash only comes on when fluid gets low...pads don't have electronic sensors so no electronic warning.

jnathan68 said:
Someone can correct me if I am wrong but the brake warning light on the dash only comes on when fluid gets low...pads don't have electronic sensors so no electronic warning.

I think you are correct because mine don't have a wear indicators.

ArizonaBOSS

Because racecar.
Arizona, USA
No electronic wear indicators. The fronts do have a metal "scratcher" spring attached to the backing plates to alert you to a low-pad condition, however. Or just peek through the spokes of the wheel...

PeteInCT

#LS-378 - So many Porsche's, so little time....
Connecticut
The Pad is 12mm. Ken is correct that with the backing plate it's about 15mm total. If you are going to be tracking the car I would not go too much farther. The PF stock pads will start to degrade more quickly under high heat conditions as the thickness of the pad decreases. You will also more susceptible to brake fade.

PeteInCT

Connecticut
ArizonaGT said:
No electronic wear indicators. The fronts do have a metal "scratcher" spring attached to the backing plates to alert you to a low-pad condition, however. Or just peek through the spokes of the wheel...

PS: Our pads, especially the front ones, DO NOT wear evenly. This is true between pads (inside/outside) as well as across the face of a single pad. Be sure the fully check the pads on all surface edges when you start to get too close. It's a PITA but you may save your rotor in the process.

Thanks to all for the info. I have a track day at Road Atlanta next month (1 day, 4-30 minute sessions). Based on the pads having 10,000 miles and 6 track days on them, can I use them for this track day before replacing them? I have noticed a low grinding noise when braking, right before coming to a complete stop, but no squealing from the pads yet.

ace72ace

Zaino, I put that $hit on everything
athens7 said:
Thanks to all for the info. I have a track day at Road Atlanta next month (1 day, 4-30 minute sessions). Based on the pads having 10,000 miles and 6 track days on them, can I use them for this track day before replacing them? I have noticed a low grinding noise when braking, right before coming to a complete stop, but no squealing from the pads yet.

:eek: Change 'em! :eek:

PeteInCT

Connecticut
With that many miles and 6 track days on them I strongly suggest you remove all the pads, front and rear, and inspect them fully. If you are hearing any noises coming from them you may be on the rotors already. Like I said, they wear unevenly. I know this first hand. The spot you are looking at may have 5mm left, while the spots you can't easily see (especially the bottom portion of the inside pads on the front) may be on the rotors now. Better to be safe than sorry. Please be careful with this.

And Road Atlanta is not a track you want to lose your brakes on....

-Pete

GA
ArizonaGT said:
Yeah that sandtrap at the bottom of the downhill braking zone before that slow left-right doesn't look too inviting.

Yep, you definitely want to be confident in your brakes at Turn 10 going into the chicane. That is probably where the most wrecks happen - those going fast enough plow through the sand trap and hit the concrete wall.

Brad, when will you be there? I am thinking about Feb. 15 with Hooked on Driving.

Bay Area
athens7 said:

Are you seriuosly considering a track day without changing pads? Your life & car are riding on those pads. As stated by other posters. Change your pads. A little preventative maintenance goes a long way.

byronj said:
Are you seriuosly considering a track day without changing pads? Your life & car are riding on those pads. As stated by other posters. Change your pads. A little preventative maintenance goes a long way.

I am seriously considering making good decisions; it's why I ask the questions! Spending money to keep my car in proper condition is never an issue, but spending money unnecessarily is. Now that I know what to look for, it is easy to make an informed decision.
Pete, thanks to you in particular for your insight :).

PeteInCT

Connecticut
Anytime. If you are interested Pagid psds feel free to PM me for details. If are more to interested in Carbos or Hawk we have a new sponsor , KNS Brakes that I'm sure would be happy to help you out.

-pete

PJWANNABE said:
Brad, when will you be there? I am thinking about Feb. 15 with Hooked on Driving.

I will be at RA on the 23rd of Feb with the PBOC Motorsports Club. Here is the link:
http://pbocflorida.com

PeteInCT said:
The Pad is 12mm. Ken is correct that with the backing plate it's about 15mm total. If you are going to be tracking the car I would not go too much farther. The PF stock pads will start to degrade more quickly under high heat conditions as the thickness of the pad decreases. You will also more susceptible to brake fade.
I just measured my stock pads and the backing plate is 5.30mm think and I had just over 13mm total on my used pads. So 15mm total on new pads should be very close.

GA
athens7 said:
I will be at RA on the 23rd of Feb with the PBOC Motorsports Club. Here is the link:
http://pbocflorida.com

Well, enjoy. My track day plans this year include Road Atlanta, Barber, CMP, VIR, and maybe AMP. At the end of May I am looking at doing a 5 day trip that includes VIR on Friday, and then CMP on Saturday and Sunday - kind of link a mini One Lap of America. ;D

Sounds like a fun schedule. What do you think of Roebling? I have an opportunity there in March. Btw, if I hijack my own thread, is it still wrong? ;)

TMO Supporting Vendors