The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

Track Day at Pocono - June 24th - Anyone Interested

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

I've been trying to upload some pics but keep getting the following msg:

An Error Has Occurred!
The upload folder is full. Please try a smaller file and/or contact an administrator.

KBBOSS1086 said:
I've been trying to upload some pics but keep getting the following msg:

An Error Has Occurred!
The upload folder is full. Please try a smaller file and/or contact an administrator.
You need to use an external photo hosting site. Read the tips for reading BMO for more details.

orng302 said:
Sean any chance of posting a pic of your harness bar and belts installed?

Sorry but it looks like I can't figure out how to post a pic. I tried to upload them again after compressing the pics to 44kb (JPEG) each and it gave me the same message. I can't find a "tips" section and the help section only states the following (which is what I've been trying):

Attachments
If enabled, this feature allows you to attach files to your posts in much the same way as most email clients, so you simply have to browse to the relevant file(s) on your computer before clicking Post. You can delete your attachment(s) or add more by modifying your post, but please note that:

•The permitted file types and sizes are set by the forum administrator(s).
•Although most forums are likely be configured to display attached images as part of the post, it's not possible to preview attachments so you should always browse to and attach your files just before you finally post your message.

Maybe one of the guys that will be at pocono with me this Sunday will take a pic or two and post it for everyone.

thanks Rick. It took me a few tries but here they are. I found it works best if you copy and past the address from Photobucket without using the inster picture icon.

harnessbarbelts.jpg

Harness.jpg

Yes a rollbar would be better for sure but, not everyone wants to remove their rear seat. Thanks for the pics Sean.

I appreciate the feedback. A roll bar would be ideal but I'm not at the point where I want to cut up the car or put something in that is not easily removable. I may end up with a 4 or 6 point in a year or so, but for now it's the harness bar.

Maybe it's me trying to convince myself but I look at it as a trade off with a little bit more good than bad. Yes, in the very slim event that the car rolls over I am drastically increasing the possibility of serious injury or death. However, in the more likely event that I am involved in a front, rear or side impact accident I feel the harness will provide significantly more protection vs the standard seatbelt. Also, when it comes to the track (running at high speeds with significant g-force's) the feeling of security and not being josteled around in the seat is a pretty big safety benefit in itself.

Understood and yes I know I have cut corners on many things myself. The rollbar was the first real non-reversible thing I did to the Boss. However I just could not justify to myself to use harnesses without the bar.

One good point is looks like the S197 body holds up well in a rollover, however I have only seen pics at street driving speeds.

KBBOSS1086 said:
Maybe it's me trying to convince myself but I look at it as a trade off with a little bit more good than bad. Yes, in the very slim event that the car rolls over I am drastically increasing the possibility of serious injury or death.

I made that same trade off decision. I may eventually put a rollbar in the car as it can be done with only a few holes being drilled. However in the meantime I decided to go with the harness bar. I've been doing HPDE events since 1983 and have seen a number of front or side impacts but only one case where a car rolled. In that case it was a 944 Turbo without a rollbar and the roof squished down about 2 inches but the driver (and instructor in passenger seat) were both unhurt. However, I totally agree a rollbar is highly preferred. My Porsche has a full cage that not only provides safety but adds chassis stiffness.

steveespo

Lord knows I'm a Voodoo Child
Exp. Type
W2W Racing
Exp. Level
10-20 Years
Cookeville TN
Had a great day at Pocono yesterday, saw some people I know from other clubs and tracks, and some new friends from here on BMO. We ran the "long course" which is the main straight turns 1 and 2 the heavy braking to enter the North infield. Ran it counter clockwise and I tell you the NASCAR circuit is so sweet and fast I had to hold back from running through the cones at the short chute to NASCAR 3 and do full laps! Steve (13SBY) was there, Sean (KBBOSS1086) and I spent a lot of time talking, ther was a Silver LS driven by a nice gentleman named John, a Yellow Blaze and a Race Red 2012 driven by one of the instructors. Also a CO 302S on track looking mean.

Hooked on driving put on a great event and a lucky guy won a set of 4 Pirelli's of his CHOICE including competition tires! Plus there wer other smaller prizes such as Race Ramp gift certificates and Roush gave away some signed die cast cars.

My instructor Andy got me out there and on line then up to speed. Offered good instruction and encouragement to exit out to the walls and stay up high before turning in on the banking.
Car performed like a champ for the (5) 1/2 hour sessions, I ran 213 miles which was cool. My newly installed Carbotechs were awesome, much better bite, modulation and feel than the Hawk HPS pads I was running. New DBA 5000s up front and the same Baer rears, no problems bedding in and absolutely no heat issues with the Hard Brakes shims/Motu RBF 660. I started with a best lap of 1:45.6 in the first session and by the last I was running 1:41.2 best and consistent 1:41.7's. The advanced guys were running 1:39-1:40.xx's so I got up to speed pretty well. No major mishaps but a few infield spins, one by a silver Corvette Z06 that I was stalking happed 5 car lengths in front of me and another by a Ferrari 308 GTSi (mad props to the owner) who looped it around at the second infield left hander and stopped right in the middle of the track with no damage.

I am hooked on the big ovals and will return to Pocono again in the future.
Some pics of my car doing justice to it livery
TRB_4538.jpg
TRB_4342.jpg
DRI_4200.jpg Picking off another Vette

steveespo

Exp. Type
W2W Racing
Exp. Level
10-20 Years
Cookeville TN
The oval was like glass with super grip. The transition off of the banking into the infield is abrupt and bumpy. The infield is not terrible but they could've run the paving machines through while they were there! I hear maybe for next season they will be doing parts of the infield courses, also the transition while not great is supposed to have been much better than years past, some guys at the event said they would park their cars after a few sessions because of the abuse. All in all it was a great day.
Steve

PeteInCT

#LS-378 - So many Porsche's, so little time....
Connecticut
Seems like you had a blast there ! I was there earlier this year, only running on the tri-oval. Chewed through gas and brakes like crazy ! VERY fast, especially off that longer straight. When you run it clockwise (which we did in the afternoon) it runs even faster. The infield was supposed to start to be repaved later this year, I hear it's pretty bad.

steveespo

Exp. Type
W2W Racing
Exp. Level
10-20 Years
Cookeville TN
A little in car video from Pocono. Sorry no sound, have to figure out how to keep it when editing :-\
Steve[flash=200,200][/<iframe width="640" height="360" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/zybQMKrJtHc" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>]

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zybQMKrJtHc[/youtube]

I will agree with Steve's reveiw of Pocono...very fast and very smooth (excluding the transition to the infield). HOD did a nice job...good instructors and very laid back atmosphere. I will definitely be going back to Pocono as often as possible and will most likely be attending the HOD event at NJMP this August.

It was great meeting both Steve's and the other Boss owners. I look forward to doing it again.

FYI - there is a evening event at Pocono on July 20th (4pm-midnight) on the North Course at Pocono if anyone is interested. It a charity event with 6 hours of open track time. I think the price is $275. Check out motorsportreg.com more info and registration.

KBBOSS1086 said:
I will agree with Steve's reveiw of Pocono...very fast and very smooth (excluding the transition to the infield). HOD did a nice job...good instructors and very laid back atmosphere. I will definitely be going back to Pocono as often as possible and will most likely be attending the HOD event at NJMP this August.

It was great meeting both Steve's and the other Boss owners. I look forward to doing it again.

FYI - there is a evening event at Pocono on July 20th (4pm-midnight) on the North Course at Pocono if anyone is interested. It a charity event with 6 hours of open track time. I think the price is $275. Check out motorsportreg.com more info and registration.

Correction...the cost is $195

steveespo said:
The oval was like glass with super grip. The transition off of the banking into the infield is abrupt and bumpy. The infield is not terrible but they could've run the paving machines through while they were there! I hear maybe for next season they will be doing parts of the infield courses, also the transition while not great is supposed to have been much better than years past, some guys at the event said they would park their cars after a few sessions because of the abuse. All in all it was a great day.
Steve

Smooth, clean and fast! As a first-timer I really enjoyed the experience. It was perfect weather and overall a perfect, awesome day! While the straights were fast and I topped out at 140 for my current comfort level, I enjoyed most the NASCAR Turn 1 and the infield section. Being able to really begin to know what my car will do was an awesome learning experience.

All the drivers I spoke with were extremely helpful and I learned alot. (Thanks to Stevespo & KBBOSS1086!) Based on some comments/reviews somewhere (I can't remember where), I was not expecting to have an instructor all day long. So that was an added benefit which I was more than happy to have. He probably saved me a couple of times in the tunnel turn coming into the infield, as I was coming in hot a few times! ;D

Gas at the track was $8.75 for 98 or 100. However, it was easy enough to go off-track maybe 3 miles aways to fill up again cheaper.

One of my first mods might be a new bracket for the shifter (by Barton) (based on some good info from a BOSS LS owner), as I encountered fairly consistent shift issues (sticking and wouldn't go) for 4th and/or 5th on the front straight. I had to abort a couple of passes.

Of the two infield transitions mentioned by others, I found the one leading off the infield to the front straight more challenging, as you are already accelerating there for the straight and the car gets upset a bit, and for me delayed my next actions. The other transition you are slowing down quite a bit, so the bumps were more manageable.

For the stock Pirelli's, I was pleased. But as a beginner, knowing/feeling the limit in the turns is something that I guess will get better with experience. That was probably the biggest learning curve thus far, knowing the limits of the car and tires. No spins using the AdvancTrac, and although I thought I was in Sport mode, I was actually Standard mode which felt fine to me. Next time I'll pay more attention to this. :-[

My TrackApps were good to use to monitor the oil temps and cylinder head temps, which were all fine during the day.

So HOD got me hooked, as the slogan goes!! :D
I'll be back.

steveespo said:
A little in car video from Pocono. Sorry no sound, have to figure out how to keep it when editing :-\
Steve[flash=200,200][/<iframe width="640" height="360" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/zybQMKrJtHc" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>]

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zybQMKrJtHc[/youtube]

Hey Steve! Love the GPS positioning on the track layout. GREAT!!!
I think you got good advice on turning late and staying high in Turn 1, based on the speed you were carrying through there. I seemed to be turning in sooner, lower and was not corrected by instructor to stay higher. Fun all the same. That was the turn that really got me nervous on the tires sticking.

TMO Supporting Vendors