The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

Track Key for the 2014 GT's

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Status
Not open for further replies.

NeuRon

2012 500A #1626
I don't post much but I look around here several times a day. Thought I'd throw my opinion in the ring:

The Boss, as others have pointed out, was/is considered the best Mustang ever in the automotive press. For many enthusiasts, that's the closest they'll get to experiencing many fine cars. I was in the market for a Roush Stage 2, because the GT handled like a pig and a Stage 3 or GT500 was out of my price range. The suspension improvement and stronger engine internals, better cooling and warranty are what attracted me for use as a daily driver where summer temps are 100+ for nearly two months. The TracKey was a really cool bonus, I thought. I was happy enough with the package that it took me a year to activate TracKey (that's all I use now) and 3/4" side-exhaust plates are it's only mod so far. It's solely a daily driver and it's really well-rounded for that purpose.

Sure, a GT can be made to perform just as well and is already there in terms of power. Newer models will, at some point, have all the "gimmicks" and better performance but that's to be expected. Living with it daily, I'm aware that it's limited production and legendary aura are what set it apart. Many Mustang drivers break their neck (the younger ones) when they see it and the others want to prove (to me or themselves?) that it's not all that special. The myth and mystic are there and will forever remain. How much that justifies being "special" is up to the person you ask. I take it for what it's worth to me: In a sea of Mustangs, modified to set themselves apart, it stands tall in factory trim. That said, one day I want to add forced induction so that it can lay the smack down and continue to build on the myth. The engine internals should help in that regard.

Many automotive milestones and hot models of the past are crap when compared to modern sedans, much less performance cars. That doesn't really tarnish their image all that much because it was gained in the perspective of their own time. This is and will be the case with the Boss. It's special, in no small part, because so many people consider it to be. As owners, were in touch with the things that make it special to us but those aren't always the same as what's turned it into a modern-day legend. The myth is usually larger than the man, as they say. I know it's a great Mustang from the factory but a special thanks to the automotive press for it's mythical status! It will be a benchmark for a good while and that is something special in and of itself.

As for track duty: Sure mods are going to help you be more competitive. Show me competitive cars that remain unchanged for dedicated track duty. ;) But it can hang ok on the track and it's pretty damn impressive on the street. Racing is great for sales and has been known to build some historical legends but the street is where most of the legendary status is secured for many. There are plenty of young drivers around here who have or will tell their friends about seeing a Boss 302 and it living up to the hype. Those impressions will remain strong in their memories far longer than the Boss will remain the Best Factory Mustang Ever. The myth is large, indeed, and that's the type of "special" that's hard to obtain. Suspension and power are performance areas that can be improved on any car. As my daily driver, I'm real happy that Ford put together such a well-rounded tool, that works so good together, for my use. It's special image is just icing on the cake!

cosm3os said:
How dare you come on here and not only crap on the Boss, but then use the "F" word! The Deuce is rolling over in his grave!
I did say it, I love those engines, they sound mean. Plus I would love to own one.

Justin

Save the dawn for your dishes!!!
NeuRon said:
I don't post much but I look around here several times a day. Thought I'd throw my opinion in the ring:

The Boss, as others have pointed out, was/is considered the best Mustang ever in the automotive press. For many enthusiasts, that's the closest they'll get to experiencing many fine cars. I was in the market for a Roush Stage 2, because the GT handled like a pig and a Stage 3 or GT500 was out of my price range. The suspension improvement and stronger engine internals, better cooling and warranty are what attracted me for use as a daily driver where summer temps are 100+ for nearly two months. The TracKey was a really cool bonus, I thought. I was happy enough with the package that it took me a year to activate TracKey (that's all I use now) and 3/4" side-exhaust plates are it's only mod so far. It's solely a daily driver and it's really well-rounded for that purpose.

Sure, a GT can be made to perform just as well and is already there in terms of power. Newer models will, at some point, have all the "gimmicks" and better performance but that's to be expected. Living with it daily, I'm aware that it's limited production and legendary aura are what set it apart. Many Mustang drivers break their neck (the younger ones) when they see it and the others want to prove (to me or themselves?) that it's not all that special. The myth and mystic are there and will forever remain. How much that justifies being "special" is up to the person you ask. I take it for what it's worth to me: In a sea of Mustangs, modified to set themselves apart, it stands tall in factory trim. That said, one day I want to add forced induction so that it can lay the smack down and continue to build on the myth. The engine internals should help in that regard.

Many automotive milestones and hot models of the past are crap when compared to modern sedans, much less performance cars. That doesn't really tarnish their image all that much because it was gained in the perspective of their own time. This is and will be the case with the Boss. It's special, in no small part, because so many people consider it to be. As owners, were in touch with the things that make it special to us but those aren't always the same as what's turned it into a modern-day legend. The myth is usually larger than the man, as they say. I know it's a great Mustang from the factory but a special thanks to the automotive press for it's mythical status! It will be a benchmark for a good while and that is something special in and of itself.

As for track duty: Sure mods are going to help you be more competitive. Show me competitive cars that remain unchanged for dedicated track duty. ;) But it can hang ok on the track and it's pretty damn impressive on the street. Racing is great for sales and has been known to build some historical legends but the street is where most of the legendary status is secured for many. There are plenty of young drivers around here who have or will tell their friends about seeing a Boss 302 and it living up to the hype. Those impressions will remain strong in their memories far longer than the Boss will remain the Best Factory Mustang Ever. The myth is large, indeed, and that's the type of "special" that's hard to obtain. Suspension and power are performance areas that can be improved on any car. As my daily driver, I'm real happy that Ford put together such a well-rounded tool, that works so good together, for my use. It's special image is just icing on the cake!
very well said!!!!!!

GR8WYT

I like the debate, I like the knowledgable info and I like the opinions. If I didn't I would not come back daily to read people's insight. Jimmy you did deliver and I like a twisting thread. I can only read so many "what do you think of this" posts.

Jimmy Pribble said:
New Boss has the same number of championships (one), which was won by Paul Brown, who had the same win record as Parnelli Jones.

Now, let's talk about those special cars. A lot of them are unique and almost unobtainium. I was worried THAT would be your standard. But then you mentioned the Audi Quattro. Nice. I agree that it's special. I have owned one. But why do you think it's special? The quattro system? An unsophisticated locker available on the pedestrian 4000 quattro. The 10V turbo? You mean the engine of the original unintended acceleration car - the Audi 5000? They made a million of those. A slow, common, and terrible motor from grandpa's runaway Audi. Was it the body? It's just a coupe GT body with some fender flares. But, I admit the flares are unique and unavailable on any other Audi. Was it the rally heritage? Well, now we are back to that. Successful racing making the street car special.

I'm trying to find your standard for a special car. In the end, it might not square with the things I think make the Boss special. That's ok. I just thought I would give it the old college try.

Rarity - fewer Boss Mustangs (about 8,289) than Audi Quattros (about 11, 452, though only about 664 in the US)
Race Cred - WC Championship, factory-supported racing in two pro road racing series
Track Cred - development target was M3, TracKey, TrackAttack
Competitor Cred - those crybabies at GM hold the discontinued Boss in such regard that they just used it to compare against their new Z28
Automotive Press Cred - check the magazine thread for the number of covers the Boss mustang got (OMG, the Top Gear snobs put it on their cover TWICE)
Special Engine - Roadrunner - developed for Boss, not available in anything else.
Unique Appearance - check
Satisfaction/Devotion Index - what can be said here? People are lunatics for this car.

One other quick note, it's not really fair to criticize the Boss for the stock suspension (for example) and then say that a Boss can be "made from a catalog." If you allow for one, then you should allow for the other. IMO, it would be best to leave everything stock-to-stock for these kind of discussions.

One last time, not picking on you or anything, but really just trying to get what you think is special about cars to help you get to an understanding of why many of us think the Boss is special. ;)
I thought the original Quattro was what started winning Audi rally championships because before that they were either FWD or RWD not AWD. To me I would say special is that something is unique about the car that others don't have. It does however seem that most of my "special" cars, another being any of the Konigseggs or the Pagani's is that they are different and aren't cut from the same cloth.
And to Grant302, the motor isn't revolutionary, it is a 5.0L with forged internals, the heads are different and so is the intake, but how is that special. Same thing could be said about an old 302 with trick flow heads and intake, that's not all that special, just better parts on the same motor. Now had they done what some have suggested the Voodoo motor is supposed to be, that would be special.

GR8WYT said:
I like the debate, I like the knowledgable info and I like the opinions. If I didn't I would not come back daily to read people's insight. Jimmy you did deliver and I like a twisting thread. I can only read so many "what do you think of this" posts.
Same here, and some of this is just good fun in debating.

NeuRon said:

That is very well said, and I think you are right in that the car can be special because of what it stands for rather then what it is.

Justin

Save the dawn for your dishes!!!
Brandon302 said:
I thought the original Quattro was what started winning Audi rally championships because before that they were either FWD or RWD not AWD. To me I would say special is that something is unique about the car that others don't have. It does however seem that most of my "special" cars, another being any of the Konigseggs or the Pagani's is that they are different and aren't cut from the same cloth.
And to Grant302, the motor isn't revolutionary, it is a 5.0L with forged internals, the heads are different and so is the intake, but how is that special. Same thing could be said about an old 302 with trick flow heads and intake, that's not all that special, just better parts on the same motor. Now had they done what some have suggested the Voodoo motor is supposed to be, that would be special.
the heads are factory ported and come with unique valves. It is a big deal to get that from the factory. There isn't a better head out for the 4v 5.0l engine. Then there is the race spec bearings and everything else that let's you wind these motors to 8200 with ease...try that with a gt motor see how long it lasts. Can't compare it to an old 5.0l motor with trick flow heads not even close to the same comparison. The 93 cobra r is close to a comparison and that is a special car...same for the 2000 cobra r another great one from ford.

GR8WYT

Well said NeuRon..

I had a black on black 98 cobra, that I adored. I lost it due to a divorce, I made good money on it. I bought a 66 beetle in 1984 with lawn mowing money saved for years, I sold it last year again due to choices. I was so distraught when I sold it and having my second wife drive that 98 Cobra and knowing how much it meant she knew I loved this Boss the moment I saw it. She asked if we could go look at it and maybe she could learn a few things about the car. One week later she called me up and told me to meet her at the dealership to sign some paperwork for the Boss she just bought for me. I was ecstatic to say the least.

She said I know what those cars you had to lose sell meant to you. You talked about this Boss so much and nothing made sense other than limited production and what you would pay. Come to find out she made an offer on the car, they said she was crazy. The dealer called three days after the initial offer and accepted no bargaining. It was December and the market and economy was in that death spiral, I guess they had a fear? Nonetheless picking that car up was my top 10 all time greatest memories.

Every Boss owner I meet speaks as fondly as I do. I draw attention all over and it is a great conversation piece. Boss Track Attack was just as memorable. When my son talks about the car he gets excited and can barely contain his enthusiasm. Granted I made a few changes but for the money it is a great car on a great platform and won't put me in the poorhouse if I decide to run a class for a few summers or an HPDE.

I have a few friend with BMW' and Porsche they are always griping about parts prices and any labor they may have incurred when needed. I have attended a local coffee and car cruise near me and I have the cheapest car in the group and cruise. I received good support and someone always makes a positive comment. The car opens doors and the fact I don't act like a stain makes for a lot of fun.

Grant 302

basic and well known psychic
Brandon302 said:

Like Justin says...there's no comparison to the old 302 with the heads/intake...or just forged internals. The new Coyote 5.0 is already pretty amazing for a domestic V8, but the Boss took all of that and really turned it up a notch...enough so that it's used as-is in competition, and to my knowledge has the most restriction in GS. Truly, the two engines have very few parts in common.

Frankly, it now just sounds like you have absolutely no clue to what makes the Boss special...if you can't even understand why the engine is. Seems like the most basic of car guy stuff to me...I'm out for this part of the thread. I'll just have to enjoy my Voodoo. ;)

Grant 302 said:
Like Justin says...there's no comparison to the old 302 with the heads/intake...or just forged internals. The new Coyote 5.0 is already pretty amazing for a domestic V8, but the Boss took all of that and really turned it up a notch...enough so that it's used as-is in competition, and to my knowledge has the most restriction in GS. Truly, the two engines have very few parts in common.

Frankly, it now just sounds like you have absolutely no clue to what makes the Boss special...if you can't even understand why the engine is. Seems like the most basic of car guy stuff to me...I'm out for this part of the thread. I'll just have to enjoy my Voodoo. ;)
Ahh just when I was going to ask you to explain what makes it any more special than the new Jag's 5.0 or any other company's V8. Oh well.

Jimmy Pribble and NeuRon said it ALL!!! Beautifully and elegantly put, the "The Boss is Back"

Basically means, the legend is back and the history is repeating itself.

It is funny that I am saying this, because when I bought the Boss 302, I was looking for a track car that is backed up by the factory warranty and I came across the Boss and then I watched the Speed Channel documentary about the Boss and then I bought the Boss...lol

Now I feel good, I have a legend in my garage, I am not joking, I GET IT NOW!!

Fomoco302

Life is short. Live well!
I've owned dozens of cars in my lifetime (yes I'm an old fart), some of them Fords, never ever considered a Mustang, heard about the new Boss, brought back memories from the Trans Am, read about it, went and looked at it, drove it, bought it. Something special happened that day!

GR8WYT

The last 2 comments and many littered throughout the thread is what I am saying. :)

max5ive0 said:
Boss is sex. GT is meh, there's something on TV.
And here's some porn for you without a TK. For those that don't get this it's time to buy a Prius.

ford-mustang-boss-302s-is-track-exclusive-27481_1.jpg
paul-brown-tiger-racing-50-ford-mustang-1.jpg
mustang-boss-302s-02.jpg

IMG_0678_zps6703cc5a.jpg
PetesLSnofrontplate.jpg

Here is the way it really is. Since 1970, Ford has sold about 100,000 per year times 43yrs. That's about 4.3 Million Mustangs sold. In the last 43 years not including the original boss, Ford sold about 8000 boss's. Do the math, 8000 Boss's are a super tiny fraction of all the other Mustangs = RARE = Collectible! Not to mention it's the best Mustang Ford has built for a production car. With that, a GT is only worth something till next year, then no one will pay a good price when you can get a better/newer GT next year. The GT is a great toy, but you lose your money in 1 year. The Boss is a good investment and a great car. The GT is a crappy investment and a good car. So in 40years you can kick yourself for not getting a Boss when you had the chance. You know if you had a chance to get a new 1969/70 boss and keep it for 40 years and didn't do it, you'd regret it. There is one thing in life that is impossible to do, get back yesterday. I don't intend to make that mistake and miss my opportunity to get a Boss. And I dam sure don't want to get one 10yrs from now and pay a premium for a garage kept driven Boss when I can get one now for sticker!

So to me this car is a diamond and I don't intend on ever letting it go. My kids can do as they please when I'm gone. But in the mean time I will enjoy driving it a few times a week on nice days and occasional days on a track. My car is not a GT, and I don't care if anyone doesn't get that. This is the car I've wanted for 43 years. One of the last live axle Mustangs and a very special one at that!

Chris

To me what makes the Boss special is the fact that it was a limited production car and its race history, both past and present. Sure, you can buy a GT and make it twice as fast...hell you can make a honda civic twice as fast. Speed is always just a few bolt on parts away. What you can't duplicate is pedigree and panache. No amount of bolt ons gets you that. As far as the new Mustang being able to beat up on a Boss...well so be it. That's called progress. I'd still rather own my Boss. A new Honda Accord will beat a 1970 Boss 302 in every performance category too...which one would most of us rather own? The "specialness" of a car is more than the sum of its parts.

steveespo

Lord knows I'm a Voodoo Child
Exp. Type
W2W Racing
Exp. Level
10-20 Years
Cookeville TN
In 1976 you could buy a Boss 302 for $2000 (half price) in 2018 you will be able to do the same with a '12 or '13. It's just how the new car market works. The Boss is the best Mustang built to date, but I dare say the new GT and new GT 350 or whatever they call it will be better performers with better technology. The mystique of those stripes is what makes the Boss cars stick in peoples minds, one look and people say "wow, that car is fast right?" and I will admit I created my own because of the look of the stripes, the car just looks right. Performance wise the Boss and GT are very much alike with the Brembo and TP cars. The engine while featuring many special parts, notably the cylinder heads, really does not hold much of a power advantage that the $10000 price difference implies. for $1200 using Ford's own Boss manifold and a Steeda CAI and Tune my Coyote made slightly more power and torque than a stock Boss 302 (405/379), with another $1700 for American Racing Headers and x pipe (Boss 302S spec) the car made another 27 HP and 10 ft/lbs of torque. I applaud all the Boss cars and Owners and especially Ford for resurrecting the heritage and supporting the enthusiast the way they do, the cars are special, but to expect to hold on to the equipment and technology that Ford Engineering developed for the Boss exclusively is silly. They spend too much in engineering and tooling costs to just put something that works on the shelf, I daresay that we will see a debaged version of the Boss manifold on the 2015+ 5.0L engines along with the Track Key/ Track Apps electronics as part of a GT option package, it's just evolution. If I could rewind to 2011 I would have waited to buy a 302S car, but I thought I wanted a fully loaded GT that could also be a track monster, which I have, but it's slowly changing into an all out race car ala Arizona GT's and I could have saved a lot of time and money.

Please all enjoy the cars for what they are and continue to improve, mod or just preserve them, but lets not bicker or become an elitist club that I would not be allowed to be a member of.
Steve

Status
Not open for further replies.

TMO Supporting Vendors