The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

Track Key Usage

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tucson 302

2013 Black LS #439
Orange said:
I am not an expert but this is how it works on my 2012:
It takes some time till the Track key is really active, you will see then a sign like engine track key enable or so which comes along with a sound. I believe it has to do that engine etc. needs first some warm up time for safety reasons.

So drive around for a while and at least after 10min. you should get the engine enable sound sign on the dash board and feel the difference and hear also the lopey idle when stopping.

On the 2013's it will say Track Key Idle is engaged after the engine hits a certain temp

Boostd4

Relapsed Turbo Addict
KillerBoss said:
New guy here. I just got my brand new 2013 Boss 302 yesterday (4-16-2013). My salesman said the track key had been activated already. How do I know if this is true. My dash says track key active, but it doesn't really sound that different. Like I said i'm knew to the boss community. Can anyone enlighten me, thanks.

The Lopey Idle is based on engine temp and time that the motor has been running. If I'm not mistaken the car must be running for at least 90 seconds and the cylinder head temp must be over 201 or 202. However, once the Trac Key is in...all of the functions will be "on".

Per TK instructions, engine coolant temp must reach at least 170 deg F for at least 130 sec AND the engine is not at idle before the PCM enables the TK tune.

Basically, either drive around for a few minutes and let the car warm up, or let it idle in the driveway until it warms up and blip the throttle, and you'll hear the chime and see the "Trackey Engine Idle Enabled" message come on, and of course, hear/feel the change in idle.

Just drive the car for 2 to 10 minutes and Track Idle will engage and the message come up on the 2013. Doesn't take long for these cars to get to the required temp and condtions.

Justin

Save the dawn for your dishes!!!
El Jefe 302 said:
Hey Justin, How does one do the idle relearn after resetting the PCM? I feel as if you have touched on this before but I can't find the thread and a search just brings me back to this one. Thanks in Advance!
Disconnect both battery cables. touch them together.
Start Car and do not touch the gas pedal.
Let idle for 15-20 mins.
At that time turn on max ac for 1 min then turn it off.
Go for a casual drive for 10-12 miles then go home and turn car off.
Done

I was told to reset, just unhook the neg (Black) cable, for 5 min, then reconnect, start car with regular key, let idle for 5 min, and start with track key, done... Is that not correct?

rpm3dinc said:
I was told to reset, just unhook the neg (Black) cable, for 5 min, then reconnect, start car with regular key, let idle for 5 min, and start with track key, done... Is that not correct?
Correct.

TMO Supporting Vendors