The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

Track Prep - Part 2

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

VoodooBOSS said:
The double studs are the concern I have. The best way to do that is replacing the stock studs with longer ones and then use the necessary spacer. I edited my original post.

302R-7.jpg

Gotcha. I don't disagree with that. Sure would like to see 14mm studs available. They have an almost 20% larger tensile stress area than the 1/2" studs.

StigsBaldBrother said:
Gotcha. I don't disagree with that. Sure would like to see 14mm studs available. They have an almost 20% larger tensile stress area than the 1/2" studs.
We're all improvising until more gear comes out for our cars. The trouble is we don't have the quantity to amortize across the entire S550 line in all cases like we did with the Boss. Most parts were common with all S197s. Wheels, brake pads, brake lines, aero, hood, suspension, hubs etc etc. are unique to the GT350 with a limited run of maybe 10,000 copies.

8250RPM said:
I would not ever use spacers. Period.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Again, any particular reason? Not trying to be confrontational, but if you've experienced a failure or know of an analysis load case that I haven't done, then I'd be all ears.

I'm not trying to cause any problems here, and I respect you and your opinions. But I do not trust wheel spacers. No matter on the stud length. I'm not sure on auto cross or road course but in drag racing they are not allowed. I know that's a apple to oranges comparison. I'm sure you'll be fine using them but it's just not for me.

I don't see the problem with the wheel stud issue. As a ex tool and die maker I have the machinery in my shop to drill out the hole for A slightly larger knurl. Has anyone measured the stock wheel stud knurl diameter?

Sorry I just looked on ARP site I don't see a 14x1.5 stud period. My fault.

8250RPM said:
I don't see the problem with the wheel stud issue. As a ex tool and die maker I have the machinery in my shop to drill out the hole for A slightly larger knurl. Has anyone measured the stock wheel stud knurl diameter?

0.615 on uncalibrated calipers

They have 5/8" studs with a .660 knurl
But I'm not sure of a 5/8" lug nut would clear some wheels.

I would do one of two things.
One use a ARP part number 100-7723 and 100-7724 1/2" X 3" press in lug studs

Or

Drill and tap the hub for larger screw in wheel "bolts"
When I used to drag race a lot we drilled and tapped the axles for screw in bolts because I never liked the thought of screw in studs. I haven't looked but a 3" wheel lug bolt should clear if screwed in from the back side of the wheel flange. And you never have to worry about the bolt pulling out like a stud.

StigsBaldBrother said:
Again, any particular reason? Not trying to be confrontational, but if you've experienced a failure or know of an analysis load case that I haven't done, then I'd be all ears.
I used spacers for the last 4 seasons on my Boss with 295 and 315 R7s so generating plenty of load. Spacer size ranged from 1/8" on the 295 up to 3/4" with the 315 up front. It's always been on ARP wheel studs.....I wouldn't do it on the 1/2" OEM S197 studs for sure. I know it's an oft-debated topic, but I was validated at BIR last year talking to a Trans Am crew. The chief mechanic had an Indy car background so obviously pretty experienced. They had two 1/2" spacers on all four corners of the Boss 302S they were competing. They were Maximum Motorsports spacers that slide on, not the bolt-on variety.

ArizonaBOSS

Because racecar.
Arizona, USA
cloud9 said:
I used spacers for the last 4 seasons on my Boss with 295 and 315 R7s so generating plenty of load. Spacer size ranged from 1/8" on the 295 up to 3/4" with the 315 up front. It's always been on ARP wheel studs.....I wouldn't do it on the 1/2" OEM S197 studs for sure. I know it's an oft-debated topic, but I was validated at BIR last year talking to a Trans Am crew. The chief mechanic had an Indy car background so obviously pretty experienced. They had two 1/2" spacers on all four corners of the Boss 302S they were competing. They were Maximum Motorsports spacers that slide on, not the bolt-on variety.

+1 here. I run ARP studs and have run up to 1/2" spacer on the front of the car. The PWC teams run a 3/4" spacer on the front of the S197s. Again, good, slide-on spacers over real wheel studs.
This is with some pretty grippy race tires, too.

8250RPM said:
I would do one of two things.
One use a ARP part number 100-7723 and 100-7724 1/2" X 3" press in lug studs

VoodooBOSS said:
You'll be way better off in the long run not using spacers like that on track. No race cars run that setup that use double studs. While we wait for APR to come out with 14mm studs, and I've been asking them about it since last August with no luck, I had CoretX install their 1/2" APR stud kit on my GT350 for my new N4SM wheels.

https://trackmustangsonline.com/index.php?topic=10221.0

IMG_4816-001.jpg
:)

steveespo

Lord knows I'm a Voodoo Child
Exp. Type
W2W Racing
Exp. Level
10-20 Years
Cookeville TN
VoodooBOSS said:
CorteX ARP wheel studs installed.

0BF7FFF0-3C06-41EF-9E59-552B6F6FD92E_zpsvouqytc9.jpg
Rick
You are using the Ford Racing 1/2" lug nuts with those studs right? I had purchased the long open Gorilla nuts that Filip sells as an option to the studs but the bulge is much smaller than the FRPP nuts and insanely smaller than the OEM 14mm nuts.
Steve

I'm not sure of the source. They are like the ones I previously used but are smaller. Both the N4SM and HRE wheels need the smaller 3/4" nuts so that's what he used. I may swap them out with the larger ones but I'll check with Filip on that. I didn't realize they were smaller until I got home and checked. The stock front wheels have the holes recessed a lot and those longer open nuts would be easier to use for installation.

TMO Supporting Vendors

Buy TMO Apparel

Buy TMO Apparel