The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

Track Time Videos

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Re: Track Time

Hey this might make for a real good thread, an “ After Track Review:, you can cut and paste this basic info and then fill in the blanks
Date(s):
Event Organizer:
Track:
Altitude of Track:
Temperature:
Tires:
Brake pads:
General Comments:

Date(s): 31 Mar – 1 Apr 12

Event Organizer: NASA

Track: Sebring, FL

Altitude of Track: 130 feet above Sea level

Temperature: low of 72 first session, high of 97

Tires: Nitto NT-01 275/40R18, Square

Brake pads: Carbotech XP12 front / XP08 rear

General Comments:

Cooling, never saw above 227 on my AeroForce Guage, cooling mods; CoolTech Air-to-Oil cooler and Boss 302S Grill. Also have World Challenge splitter.

The good: First NASA event, signed up for Group 2 got Passport/check ride third session moved to Group 3. I like NASA, Gp 3 is allows passing in corners with a point by adds a whole new dimension to HPDE. I ran my best ever time at Sebring trying to chase down a race spec Mini, a 2:41:3.

The bad: Warped a set of rotors only 2 ½ track weekends on the rotors, ran one complete cool down lap with only light use of brakes after each session, rolled car in paddock, but they warped.

I will definitely be going back to NASA events. I might even try TT if I can get real faster!

MPG: 6.8 Track miles driven 191.5

DSCN0610.jpg

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b2CUssQqcEM&feature=channel[/youtube]

That's a good format for data Boss_302. Did you run that same track before installing the air-to-oil cooler? The ambient's pretty high at 97, but it sure seems that elevation is the bigger culprit. I haven't seen anyone at sea level overheating yet no matter the outside temps. It will be 68 Friday at MAM where elevation's 1600 ft.

Nice, I see you figured out a way to install tow rings without drilling the bumper cover. What kind of attachment point did you use? Did you do a rear as well?

I may see you at the NASA soon, I would like to maybe work into TT myself. Sebring is fun but tough on the car as you know :(

JScheier said:
Also, not sure if anyone else has run into this, but I went out for session 5 and the fuel gauge read just below 1/2 tank. Four laps in, the car sputters on a hard right sweeper... so I let it settle, get back in it and no issues. Get to turn 8 (Slow, decreasing radius, second gear) and come bombing out of it (per normal). Downhill run and the car looses all power. Clutch in and RPMS go to zero. Finally got it re-fired and headed towards pit-in. Stalled again on the exit ramp. Got it re-fired and back to the pits. Sit and idle and the gauge is showing about 1/4 tank. Turn the car off to start my post session check-list. Get back in, fire it up and the gauge is pegged below 'E'. I know I turned some fast laps, but did I outrun the fuel gauge ::)

I do not trust the gas gauge at all, it burned me at Daytona and the car ran out of gas in the banking (Turn 2). Trying to figure out what was wrong I ended up going through the Bus Stop. I also ran out of gas at Homestead, like Gary I dump 5 gallons in after each run. Then fill up at lunch and do the five gallon thing again for the afternoon. When I ran out at HMS I had put in 5 gallons after the first run and forgot after the second run which caused me to run out in the third session. I know my car can burn up to 8 gallons in a 25 minute session and that is with pure gas.

I have ended up coming in on about a gallon left several times from the "happy hour" at the end of each day.

cloud9 said:
Nice, I see you figured out a way to install tow rings without drilling the bumper cover. What kind of attachment point did you use? Did you do a rear as well?
+1 on this.

Doug are you using the MGW shifter?

cloud9 said:
That's a good format for data Boss_302. Did you run that same track before installing the air-to-oil cooler? The ambient's pretty high at 97, but it sure seems that elevation is the bigger culprit. I haven't seen anyone at sea level overheating yet no matter the outside temps. It will be 68 Friday at MAM where elevation's 1600 ft.

Yes I did run Sebring with PBOC back in September no oil cooler, no guage so no data, the stock guage did move to right of center!

cloud9 said:

Tow hooks are from Multimatic. Ramsey's Performance notched bottom of bumper bracket, bent bracket in a "Z" and cut open the lower facisa

FrontTowhook.jpg

Here's the rear, made a bracket to mount license plate to.

RearTowhook.jpg

5 DOT 0 said:
Very clean install. Did your car come with the rear license plate mount or is that something you added? I don't remember mine having one. Did you notice any difference with the shifter bracket installed?

The guys at a local speed shop fabricated the bracket.

After I installed the bracket the shifter is more positive, not as vauge.............

OLOABoss

AKA OLOABoss

Boss_302

More than likely your rotors aren't warped just pad deposits. Carbotech's are famous for this and why I don't run them anymore.

Hallett CCW Report

Shifting still sucks. Temps were in the low to mid 80's Street tires Michelin PSS with Cobalt brake pads, Saleen Grill and no temp issues. Lap times were 1:30.0 range with one at 1:29.9. Not bad for a miserable shifting heavy pig. ;D

Peter

jas427

BOSS LS #469

Ran Sebring with Boss 302 This pass weekend. Had a great time. Clutch gave me a few problems and 1 p300 code but ran great. No mods except for some old street tires a friend sold me for 400 bucks tires and rims. Nitto Invo 275/40/18s. Temps ran 220 to 235. My video is not as good as Boss 302 but you can still make out where you are. Ran in HP4 with some really fast cars. open passing anywhere on track its so dam addicting. Already making plans for another event.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-oTzqeqlevc

Heading to MAM this afternoon. It's going to be cool in the morning with an overnight low of 39 and they run windows down :eek: Car should make BIG power. High of 67 and 0% chance of rain 8) Only just a little excited ::)

PeteInCT

#LS-378 - So many Porsche's, so little time....
Connecticut

Go git 'em Griddley ! Take some cool video.... I go out again on Monday at LimeRock. Guess what the weather forcast said yesterday? (They actually changed it today but I hold no great expecttaons ;D )

PeteInCT said:
Go git 'em Griddley ! Take some cool video.... I go out again on Monday at LimeRock. Guess what the weather forcast said yesterday? (They actually changed it today but I hold no great expecttaons ;D )
No video.....unless someone rides along and takes a pirate one ;D. I'll take some pics though. There will be two other Bosses down there. If they have video, maybe they'll pick me up when they go by ;)

56 and partly cloudy......bring your mittens!

ArizonaGT said:
Need about 20 more degrees and maybe a lil sun for the track to really come in...have fun slipping and sliding :eek:
Yea it's going to be sunny....morning will be slick, but will be in the 50s after first session and upper 60s in the afternoon.

TMO Supporting Vendors

Buy TMO Apparel

Buy TMO Apparel