The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

Track Time Videos

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

steveespo

Lord knows I'm a Voodoo Child
Exp. Type
W2W Racing
Exp. Level
10-20 Years
Cookeville TN
Re: Track Time

I will be at Lime Rock Monday with Pete. The "Wood Brothers" Ford Mustang is finally in the paint booth and I have a lot of prep and Winter mod work to do Saturday and Sunday to get ready. I may have the roll bar done but not my seat and harnesses. Will get the Corsa mufflers on and plan on running my stock P Zeros on 302S wheels instead of my AMR wheels with Corsas due to the expected temps. Anyway it will be a lot of fun to be back on track.
Steve
40cb4f3a.jpg

PeteInCT

#LS-378 - So many Porsche's, so little time....
Connecticut

Looking forward to it - hopefully it will be dry. I had enough wet/oil from last weekend there to last me all season ;D At a high of 45 degrees on the last run, the Corsa's were hooking up pretty well. I was seeing some understeer in the lefthander, but I think it was me - I was driving the line I used to do with my Audi TTS. The Boss seems to want to hit closer to the edge of the track at the apex. Makes sense with the additional 400 lbs and 150 hp.... The uphill is a hoot also, my former ride was incapable of going airborn ::)

3 days at Summit Point main course with PCA Potomac Region, 3/31 to 4/2. Mods to car since last year: (1)MM C/C plates with -2.2 camber dialed in, (2) Airaid carbon fiber cold air kit. Still running Yokohama AD08 street tires and drive the the car to the track. Tried EBC brake pads (blue front, yellow rear). PURE GARBAGE...absolutely useless. Took them out after 2 sessions. Went to Hawk DTC70F and DTC60R. HUGE improvement...stopped great but squealed. Took the anti-vibration shims off the EBC blue pads and used them on the DTC70s. Fixed the squeal. Plan to try Carbotech pads next but Hawks definitely do the job. Could brake as deep as just about any of the Porsches. Front rotor temps were reading close to 800 when measured right after a session. Still need to install the cooling kit! In the instructor group was able to pass about 80% of the cars including some GT3s, Cayman S, Cayman R and a mostly stock Z06. Got passed by some well driven GT3s, GT3 Cup race cars, a GT2 (turbo) and a well driven, well prepared Z06. My best lap was 1:26:46.

Highest coolant temp I saw on the Aeroforce was 220. It generally ran around 205 on the track. However, I threw a couple of 0300 (random misfire) and a pending 0420 (catalyst efficiency) codes. Conveniently, the Aeroforce lets you display the codes and reset them. Don't know why I'm getting these codes but it was just a minor annoyance. Also noting some cupping on the inside edge of the front tires. Maybe the street tires don't like the alignment settings?

All in all, had a blast and two more PCA members thinking about buying a Boss 302!

PeteInCT

Connecticut

1) how's ur caster and toe? Both camber set to -2.2 ?

2) IMHO, try pagid or carbotech. Hawks will kill ur rotors. Pagids will run cooler too.

I have the printout from the machine:

LF
Camber -2.2
Caster 6.7 deg
Toe 1/16in (I asked for 0 toe)

RF
Camber -2.2
Caster 6.6 deg
Toe 1/16in

Shop said if I'm not happy with settings they will redo free. Not sure what changes I may want. May see how these settings work with Hoosiers.

I'm may try both Pagid (front only) and Carbotech pads and see what I like. Ron raves about the Carbotechs and I tend to trust his opinion. I can say for sure that EBC pads SUCK!

PeteInCT

Connecticut

settings seem fine. I hsve 6.9 and 7.0 caster.

Pagid will have rear pads for us in abiut two weeks. Most of the porsche driving instructors i know choose pagid. Those that are driving BMW seem to choose carbotech. .Im totally sold on the R29 pagid compound. And you should see whst the DTC60 hawks are doing to my rear rotors !

ArizonaGT said:
Let me just confound the discussion by saying that I am really impressed by the PFC01/97 combo :)
Do they stop the car in its tracks like the DTCs? Sounds like they hold up better, just wondering about tradeoff in stopping distance.

Can't complain about stopping power with the DTC pads. Took another instructor for ride (he owns a GT3 Cup Race car) and he could not believe how well the the brakes worked on such a heavy car with 2 passengers in it...especially after making fun of the silly little rear calipers. After about 10 days on track my rotors are showing some very light spider web patterns but no noticable cracks.

ChuckP said:
In the instructor group was able to pass about 80% of the cars including some GT3s, Cayman S, Cayman R and a mostly stock Z06.

Add to this list: A couple of late model M3s...

ArizonaBOSS

Because racecar.
Arizona, USA

cloud9 said:
ArizonaGT said:
Let me just confound the discussion by saying that I am really impressed by the PFC01/97 combo :)
Do they stop the car in its tracks like the DTCs? Sounds like they hold up better, just wondering about tradeoff in stopping distance.
gary, they have a more progressive initial bite than the dtcs and then really reel the car in on prolonged braking. They love to be hot. I will never go back to dtcs.

ArizonaGT said:

I am running PFC08 compound pads on the front with the stock rear. Have not been on the track with them yet though. My first track day will be at the Glen at the end of the month. Not sure if I will have to swap the rear pads out to 97 compound though.

06mach1 said:
ArizonaGT said:

I am running PFC08 compound pads on the front with the stock rear. Have not been on the track with them yet though. My first track day will be at the Glen at the end of the month. Not sure if I will have to swap the rear pads out to 97 compound though.
Let us know how that works when using the stock rear pads.

ArizonaGT said:
cloud9 said:
ArizonaGT said:
gary, they have a more progressive initial bite than the dtcs and then really reel the car in on prolonged braking. They love to be hot. I will never go back to dtcs.
Well I've got some inventory to burn first, but then I'll give them a shot. I have two new sets in the trailer, and the fronts on the car only have a day on them.

PeteInCT said:
settings seem fine. I hsve 6.9 and 7.0 caster.

Pagid will have rear pads for us in abiut two weeks. Most of the porsche driving instructors i know choose pagid. Those that are driving BMW seem to choose carbotech. .Im totally sold on the R29 pagid compound. And you should see whst the DTC60 hawks are doing to my rear rotors !

BMWs have weird brakes, that might be part of it.

My Boss is no longer a track virgin. 7 sessions then we called it as it looked like rain and the bike guys were all on slicks. It was just me and the GT3RS, and I was a good margin faster than him since he is a beginner. This car needs some work to be a real track weapon, I'll post later about it as I am pretty tired.

I had an issue with the clutch, about the 6th session it started doing this thing where it would raise about 2/3 or 3/4 of the way then pause for a half second then continue going up. There was a jerk in the brakes at the same time it would pause. It would take a couple laps before it started, and if I drove a bit slower it didn't do it. Could this be air in the clutch line? I flushed the brakes but did not bleed the clutch so it was dot3 in there. Anything else it could be?

CaliMR said:
My Boss is no longer a track virgin. 7 sessions then we called it as it looked like rain and the bike guys were all on slicks. It was just me and the GT3RS, and I was a good margin faster than him since he is a beginner. This car needs some work to be a real track weapon, I'll post later about it as I am pretty tired.
Sounds like a great time, sorry I missed it.

TMO Supporting Vendors