The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

Track Time Videos

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Re: Track Time

It was until the clutch started binding ;D

Has anyone had this issue? I saw something similar on a google search for a V6 2011 and it was bad master and slave cylinders

My GoPro seems to have been having issues, it was cutting off all the videos after a minute, except one from my second session which I got about 3 laps. Best time was horrible, 2:16 going over the top of 5 since we were doing bikes too. The guy in the GT3RS's lap timer said he had a best of 2:14 and I was running faster than him so I am sure I had better times in other sessions. Pretty annoying, the thing acts up like this sometimes but it is usually when I use Energizers, the Duracels usually will do a whole session.

CaliMR said:
It was until the clutch started binding ;D

Has anyone had this issue? I saw something similar on a google search for a V6 2011 and it was bad master and slave cylinders
There have been some slave cylinder failures with that symptom. Better check it out with the dealer.

Thanks, I'll bring it there before the next track day

How is Ford being about working on cars that are tracked? It only happened on the track, so they won't be able to replicate it.

Something weird I noticed, I have been burning about a quart of oil per 500 miles, but on the track it didn't burn a drop.

Mixed reviews.....car ran great but I didn't put down a lower fast lap time than my other trip there last April. There were about 40 cars there and I passed them all except a heavily modified Z06 with a ZR1 driveline putting down 600 rwhp that Peter will have to run against in the OLOA and he's turning a 1:38 which is FLYING at MAM. There were a ton of Porsches...911s, 996, 997, GT3RS and several BMW M3s (new ones) a few Vettes, a bunch of Evos and several other varieties. There were almost no clean laps though because I was constantly catching cars. On top of that the track was really dirty from the flooding so that probably didn't help either. I ran EIGHT sessions....some of them 30 minutes. I'll look at my lap timer tomorrow, but I'm betting well over 200 track miles in one day. It was like a two day event. The novice group was running 20 minute sessions, then they'd send us back out....barely enough time to top off the tank, check tire pressures then back out....I'm pooped!!!

Ambient: 70

Elevation: 1600 feet.

The good: Stock shifter was flawless and I was 3-5 all day long. You hit 5th twice each lap and back and forth between 3rd and 4th frequently. Car ran pretty cool. I was in the 210s and 220s ECT and 220-240 on oil temp.

The bad: Strapped into the race seat made me realize how much body roll and brake dive there is in this car. When I was getting slung around and bracing myself going into each turn I didn't notice it as much. I badly need some stiffer springs.

The ugly: Didn't put down a faster fast lap. That was disappointing, but like I said there was so much traffic and the Boss represented well. It was funny I had a couple M3 owners roll up and point at my tires and say "No wonder". I was sporting some R888s so it's not like I was on slicks and it wasn't close enough for tires to make the difference anyway. The ugliest will be the amount of paint chips when I wash it tomorrow. There was so much sand/rocks on the track and I was right off bumpers most of the day so it's paint carnage.

We were running 20/20 sessions too. We started 30/30 but the bike guys kept getting tired and the Boss kept grumbling (the GT3RS could have run all day, but it is no expense spared maintained). I have been talking to a couple guys I know who work on trannies, they don't know what kind of clutch the car has but they think maybe it overheated in combination with possible air in the lines. It did not use a drop of fluid that I can tell and there is no moisture when I ran my hand around the tranny. Need to figure out where the slave is to inspect it properly.

Are you on the OEM clutch? They think maybe I was babying the clutch too much, and that overheated it. I tend to slip it a bit slow in this car because of the poor seating position. I know brakes don't like that, I am sure the clutch is the same. If it is something that persists, I'm going to have to start bringing a bike and switching off lol

I did not have any issues with the shifter other than a botched downshift to 2nd going over the peak at 5 (it is top of 3rd to bottom of 2nd shift) that crunched a little, and I caught myself going into 3rd when I went for 5th once and was able to get it out before I released the clutch. I think a big part of it is the seating position and the fact that I was only one cheek in the seat most of the time.

How did you mount the seat? Is there an aftermarket bracket that is good? Do I need to disconnect the battery to pull the seat, due to the airbags? I am seriously considering swapping my Racetec over when I take the Boss, but would need to figure out mounts and some sort of harness. I really don't want to run a 4, I am sure I could rig something for sub brakets, but the shoulder harness would be an issue without a rollbar. I usually don't do fixed seats until there is a bar at least, but this is just not going to work.

Rick better come to the next one, 3 cars will be fun.

Here is a video from session 2, 1 was a throw away because the tires were waaay off and I was hopping and skipping all over the place. Camera died after like 3 laps so it is pretty slow, then it would not record after. It had the record light on but would only get like 1 minute then die though the light stayed on. May need to replace my GoPro

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yOhmhbc0lVE[/youtube]

Bonus points for anyone who spots the dead animal in turn 2 lol

Looks like fun having the track to yourself and I'm available for the May date if you guys run again. I don't down shift to 2nd at turn 5 and the car seems to pull fine in third from there. I'm slower than the little old lady from Pasadena through turns 1 and 2 but that's just an opportunity to pick up some time.

Not sure what's up with the clutch but you are not alone. I did not bleed the slave cylinder when I swapped out the stock brake fluid. How were the brakes? You have the brake duct kit installed right? Do you have the trans cooling scoop installed? The scoop is supposed to reduce trans temps 15-30 degrees.

Corbeau makes a harness bar so that part is easy.

http://www.americanmuscle.com/corbeau-harness-bar-0512.html?utm_content=corbeau-harness-bar-0512&utm_campaign=ShopzillaFullFitment&utm_source=Shopzilla&utm_medium=Shopping&AMID=corbeau-harness-bar-0512-2011-V6

I take 1 and 2 like wolves are chasing me in my racecar, but I don't trust the Boss enough yet to do it. I picked up a lot of speed over the course of the day, the video is basically warm up and feeler laps. I have only done over the top at 5 one other time years ago so I don't really know what I am doing there. 2nd required an upshift while still keeled over in the right hand bow going into 6, so I still need to work on that section.

Thanks for the email, the rollbar looks good but I keep telling myself this is my street car lol.

The harness bar you just posted, does it require cutting the trim? I can't tell from the pictures. I have always been against 4 pts and our seats don't have sub holes like the GT3RS did, but I might look into the ones with the hoop that snaps in a crash. I think Scroth makes them.

The brakes were horrible the first 2 sessions, the first because my hot pressures were in the 50s (I added 4 lbs to street setting because I thought I remembered that being what the manual said) and the second I think they just had not bedded fully yet. They got a lot better the 3rd session, but they are still not good track pads at all and right at abs threshold braking they were not gripping enough and the tail was wagging going into 10 and 14. They were also smoking coming into the pits, smoking a lot, so I did a couple laps around the paddock and up through the skid pad after each session even with a cool down lap. With the hot pressures at 41, the tires had trouble with grip which probably was part of the issue with the brakes, and I had a lot of hop so I could not open the throttle fully until I was in 4th. Ambients were in the 50s the whole day, which also affected grip.

We had a bike mechanic with us from the local racebike builder, he turned out to be a Mustang nut so I took him out for a ride. He spent some time looking over my tires and the feathering (lips on the front, bulges on the back) and he thinks it is over damped on the back and under damped on the front at 5 setting. I tried 4 in the rear and it would not hook up will, so went back to 5.

I don't have the ducts on yet, with all the rain I haven't been able to do it. I think they will help a lot, but real pads are the biggest thing. And tires. And remembering that it is my street car lol. Have you noticed less squirm in high speed braking with the LS wing? I think I might go with the RTR wing if pads and warmer track doesn't fix it, as I like the NASCAR look.

PeteInCT

#LS-378 - So many Porsche's, so little time....
Connecticut

I use the Corbeau bar along with a Schroth Profi II system that has the ASM (anti-submarining) you speak of. The version I have is approved for use with a Hans device. I currently run it as a 4 point system, but it is a rotary lock design that can also accept sub harnesses to make it a 5/6 point system. The Corbeau harness bar is a great value (less than $300 I think I paid for it), it's built like a tank and requires no mods at all to install it, it's totally bolt in.

Here is it with 2" non-ASM Schroth harnesses. I have the 3" ASM version now:
Corbeau_Harness_Bar.jpg

I haven't noticed any movement in the rear going into 10, 14 and 1. Both my car and the ones at BTA have the LS wing, this should have been an option from Ford, and I'm not running the large front splitter. I'm sure the brake ducts will help and a popular choice for pads are either Hawk DTC 70 front and 60 rear or PFC 01F and 97R. I'm going to use the PFC's next. Both times I was at TH the temps were in the 60's and 70's and the stock tires seemed to hook up just fine. I noticed driving around town that below 60 traction starts to diminish.

Below are the photos in the link I sent you. Notice how they are using the sub belt without using a sub hole in the seat. This is Mike's car, a member here, and he's using the Cooltech harness and mounting clips. Kendall, also a member here, is the owner of Cooltech.

scaled.php

scaled.php

Well sir, I believe you just convinced me to cause great harm to my wallet. I'll get the harness bar, and I was digging through my boxes and found my Scroth ASM 4 pt I was using in the passenger side of the racecar until my bro went and bought a 6 pt for himself ;D I can try the 6 and the 4 and see which works best. I really don't like 4s but the ASM system is supposed to work.

My friend with the V6 and the Brembos suggested the XP10/XP12 combo, he likes to stand on his brakes pretty hard so I am probably going to try them out.

drano38

Wayne

Ran MAM yesterday.
3 Boss's--Cloud9, a new guy w/ YB, and myself.
6 Apr 12
MAM's Fast Friday (open lapping)
Altitude of Track: 1,000 ft
Temperature: 45-65
Tires: NT-05, 275/40/18, PF01 wheels, square, Strano front/rear bars
Brake pads: Carbotech XP10/XP8
Best lap: 1:52. Morning laps were ~1:55
Cold in the morning, and I spent some time figuring out tire pressures. 40 psi hot worked well.
Track still dusty from last summer's flood, but will be better after a few good rains.
Was hard to get clean laps with the good crowd and variety of cars, but managed to get a few. Passed a few Porsche's, and other cars, even a Vette. ;D Of course, I gave plenty of point bys myself.
Typical laps went like this: Mirror-nobody. Mirror-nobody. Mirror-nobody. Mirror-holy crap, where did Gary come from?? Roll onto straight, point-by. Rinse and repeat.
The bad: XP10 pad deposits on front rotors. Did it last fall too. I seasoned new rotors last weekend. Maybe driving down there with them on started the deposits. I'll turn rotors, re-season, and trailer next trip. If that doesn't fix it, I'll be shopping for new pad brand.
Broke the suction cup lever on the phone holder, so no TrackMaster video.
The ugly--a guy in a Vette backed into a new Porsche in the paddock. Doh! Didn't break the bumper cover, but mostly scuffed the paint. Guys nearby were yelling to stop, but driver didn't hear it.
20120406153005.jpg

After a long wait sounds like you had some fun. Interesting to hear that pressure worked better for you, I beat the hell out of the tires at 35PSI. As things heat up keep a close eye on center and edge wear including the inside edge. Were you able to take any tire temps?

Good to hear another YB out there, I saw a quick vid of a YB on track in PA, besides that I have not seen or heard of any others tracking.

PeteInCT

#LS-378 - So many Porsche's, so little time....
Connecticut

I'll say it again. PAGID. ;D If its good enough for Audi's wins at LeMans its good enough fir me.

pft, carbon/carbon is the way to go. That or I am going to sneak into my buddy's garage and steal his brakes off his GT3RS

drano38 said:
Ran MAM yesterday.
3 Boss's--Cloud9, a new guy w/ YB, and myself.
6 Apr 12
MAM's Fast Friday (open lapping)
Altitude of Track: 1,000 ft
Temperature: 45-65
Tires: NT-05, 275/40/18, PF01 wheels, square, Strano front/rear bars
Brake pads: Carbotech XP10/XP8
Best lap: 1:52. Morning laps were ~1:55
Cold in the morning, and I spent some time figuring out tire pressures. 40 psi hot worked well.
Track still dusty from last summer's flood, but will be better after a few good rains.
Was hard to get clean laps with the good crowd and variety of cars, but managed to get a few. Passed a few Porsche's, and other cars, even a Vette. ;D Of course, I gave plenty of point bys myself.
Typical laps went like this: Mirror-nobody. Mirror-nobody. Mirror-nobody. Mirror-holy crap, where did Gary come from?? Roll onto straight, point-by. Rinse and repeat.
The bad: XP10 pad deposits on front rotors. Did it last fall too. I seasoned new rotors last weekend. Maybe driving down there with them on started the deposits. I'll turn rotors, re-season, and trailer next trip. If that doesn't fix it, I'll be shopping for new pad brand.
Broke the suction cup lever on the phone holder, so no TrackMaster video.
The ugly--a guy in a Vette backed into a new Porsche in the paddock. Doh! Didn't break the bumper cover, but mostly scuffed the paint. Guys nearby were yelling to stop, but driver didn't hear it.
20120406153005.jpg
You're moving up the curve fast. To be on the low 1:50s just starting out last year, you're doing well. Keep pushing it and you'll be in the 1:40s by mid-summer 8)

OLOABoss

AKA OLOABoss

Gary

Was that Danny Popp in the vette. Went back and checked and Ian ran 1:40's at MAM in the 2008 One Lap in the 6GT3.

Peter

TMO Supporting Vendors