The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

Track Time Videos

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Re: Track Time

OLOABoss said:
Gary

Was that Danny Popp in the vette. Went back and checked and Ian ran 1:40's at MAM in the 2008 One Lap in the 6GT3.

Peter
I can't remember the name sorry. They were from MN...driver was probably 30s with short black hair and glasses..whole family was there in a big sleeper rig. I have two friends running modded Vettes that turn 1:38 and they a fast drivers. 1:40s in the 6GT3 is very good. Best I could manage in the Mustang so far is 1:43 but I know low 1:40s are there with a faster run group. We had 20 cars on track ranging from 1:43 (other than that Vette) to probably 2:20....also as was mentioned a little rain to clean off the surface would help.

The interesting thing is I have more laps at MAM than MPH (first time there last year) but I have turned a 1:37 in competition and a 1:36.1 during an open track day at MPH in the Boss. MPH is 2.15 and MAM is 2.2 miles and MAM has more straights.

OLOABoss

AKA OLOABoss

Wasn't Danny then as he is definently older and from Ohio. Hopefully a few more events at MAM will help the grip before One Lap.

Peter

Re: Track Time - Tech report after 3 days at Summit Point

Yesterday I got around to pulling the wheels and putting the street brake pads back in. While I was at it I figured I'd report on the brake and tire condition after roughly close to 4 hours of track driving.

Brake pads: Initially tried EBC Blue Stuff fronts and Yellow Stuff rears. Total crap...removed them after 2 sessions. No stopping power. Installed Hawk DTC70 fronts and DTC60 rears. EXCELLENT stopping power...could brake just about as deep as many of the Porsches and BMWs. However, after 2 1/2 track days, the fronts are essentially totally consumed (see photos). The rears look great. I think one set of rear pads will go as long as 2 or 3 sets of fronts. Very happy with stopping power and pedal feel. Unhappy with pad life but maybe that's normal with a 3700 lb. car. Also noted uneven pad wear and corners of pad material broken off. Saw front rotor temperatures close to 800 degrees measured right after a run session. Do not have brake ducts installed yet.

Brake rotors: Using Weston Motorsports rotors. These are essentially stock rotors that are spiral slotted and cryo-treated (frozen in liquid nitrogen). Considering these rotors have seen 8 days on track and 800 degree temps I think they are holding pretty well. Will probably go to DBA5000s when it's time replace them.

Tires: Yokohama Advan Neova AD08, 265/35x19 front and 295/30x19 rear. These are "extreme performance" summer street tires. They currently have about 5000 miles on them and 8 days at the track. I'm VERY happy with how well they are holding up (see photos) and the track grip they provide for a street tire. Now that I have 2.2 degrees of front camber dialed in I'm concerned about inside tire wear but so far so good. I recommend them to anyone looking for a great street tire that will not embarrass you at the track. The are not cheap however...in the $400 range per tire. I'm glad they seem to be lasting.

100_4542.jpg
100_4543.jpg
100_4545.jpg
100_4546.jpg

In my experience, Hawk pads will crack rotors faster than they wear them out, based on 2 track cars. So keep an eye out. They also score and wear the rotors pretty fast, but are great on the track. I always use cheap rotors when I run Hawk track pads, since they crack good rotors about as fast, at least on the other cars. Yours look like they are handling it pretty well though. And thanks for the info on the EBCs, I was going to try them as I had heard good things on other cars but now I know not to.

Your pad wear is "normal" for DTC70s and 60s. I get about 4 days under hard abuse on the fronts and probably 12 days on the rears. Like anything else there are tradeoffs with tires and pads for grip and stopping power versus longevity. As far as rotors go, I've found stock rotors crack much sooner than a good 2-piece rotor like the DBA5000. I have been getting 17-20 days out of a set of front DBA5000 rings versus half that or less from one-piece less expensive rotors. You also save 8 lbs or rotating mass per corner and lower the risk of a catastrophic rotor failure. The set I have on right now is the first I've tried that's not cryo treated as I wanted to see if it really was making a difference. I only have the equivalent of two days on them so too early to tell. The heat checking you have on yours is normal as you probably know Chuck. I start getting that after the first track day. Obviously it's the cracks that go through the full depth of the rotor that we have to be concerned about and change them as soon as that happens.

ArizonaBOSS

Because racecar.
Arizona, USA

Gary what did you think about the aero balance of the car at speed w/ the LS wing on the rear plus the Tiger Hood and WC Splitter? Is the LS wing enough to balance out the increased front grip?

ArizonaGT said:
Gary what did you think about the aero balance of the car at speed w/ the LS wing on the rear plus the Tiger Hood and WC Splitter? Is the LS wing enough to balance out the increased front grip?
I honestly can't say at this point. Since it was my first day back out with a fair number of changes and a TON of traffic, I wasn't really focusing on it. I am still trying to get used to the seat/harnesses/HANS so probably wasn't paying enough attention to the aero. Also, I only had one other track day in the Boss on this track and it was last April so not really a great comparison. I'm planning to go to MPH next weekend if the rain stays away so may get a better sense in Turn 3 and heading into 4 there. If not I'll be at BIR on 5/5-5/6 and that will be the real test pushing 150+ heading into Turn 1 where you carry 140 through the banking and Turn 2 where you enter at 140, slow to 110-120 and exit at 130. On a side note, I went out to bed in a new set of rear pads a little bit ago and found that moving the race seat back a notch made my footwork more comfortable. Just working through all the new stuff ::)

ArizonaBOSS

Because racecar.
Arizona, USA

Sounds like you're working through quite a few changes all at once! Please keep my question in mind for future track days; if I don't need to buy a $1000 APR or $1400 Tiger Wing to balance the car out, I won't.

If the back wiggles on high speed braking zones again next time, I'm ordering the RTR wing. The rest of the aero is stock.

I just washed the car to get the track grime off, and noticed most of the tire boogers I scrubbed off had small scratches underneath. This has to be the softest clear coat I have ever had, if this is normal.

2012YellowBoss said:
cloud9 said:
Just working through all the new stuff ::)

You have plenty of that ;D

Did you find the HANS limiting you movement? I have not driven on track with it yet but I think I may have to adjust my seat positions a little.
Not on track, however you're really dependent on the starter when entering a hot track since you can't look far enough right to see oncoming traffic.

HANS may require you lean your seat back more, if you like it vertical. I can't sit vertical in this car how I like because of the helmet anyways.

Boss_302 said:
^^Looking Good!^^​
;D​
Thanks this hobby has to be more addicting than drugs. Got the new grill assembled last night and the wife's got all the food ready for trackside lunches. Man she spoils me :D

cloud9 said:
Thanks this hobby has to be more addicting than drugs.
How do you know??? :eek: :D

What oil regimen are people using when they track the cars? I do oil before every track weekend in the E30 since it is dino oil, my turbo car I did it after every track weekend despite the synth oil just because the turbo would get the oil really hot (oil cooled turbo). Does Ford have a recommendation? I don't remember seeing anything about it in the supplement, just about axle oil.

I can tell with dino oil when it is looking bad, but with synth it gets brown so fast it is hard to tell.

So I looked back through, and it says to change it after track use. So that is probably what I am going to do.

However, it also says to do the multipoint and the 150k mile service after track use, which includes a trans fluid flush. How often are people actually doing the trans fluid?

TMO Supporting Vendors

Buy TMO Apparel

Buy TMO Apparel