The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

Track Time Videos

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Re: Track Time

drano38 said:
Do we need to post links to all of your posts that you're not doing suspension upgrades until someone passes you?????
This. :D

cloud9 said:
5 DOT 0 said:
drano38 said:
Do we need to post links to all of your posts that you're not doing suspension upgrades until someone passes you?????
This. :D
Ok, does a Z06 count?? ;D ($130k Z06 by the way....not exactly stock :p)
Well if it was modded then I guess that's ok. Porsche Cup cars count too. 8)

I took a drifting class today, that is sort of track time. They supplied the cars, but I may try it out in the advanced class with my E30 once it stops puking oil. I would never do it in the Boss, the abuse is another level from running on the track.

CaliMR said:
I took a drifting class today, that is sort of track time. They supplied the cars, but I may try it out in the advanced class with my E30 once it stops puking oil. I would never do it in the Boss, the abuse is another level from running on the track.
Sounds like fun. I've always wanted to try that. It might be a good way to even out tire wear for people running staggered. :D

CaliMR said:
I've also wanted to take a class for drifting so I can practice my Vaughn Gittin Jr. moves. ;D Got a link to the class you took?

http://controlleddriving.com/

There is a groupon for the intro class so it is only $110, which is what we did. You only get 3 short sessions in the car, but they said now we can do the advanced class which is 4 hours. I was talking to a couple of the instructors and they think the spec e30 setup I have is too stiff, but if I put junk tires on it and put them at 50 psi it would work well. I would not want to put that much stress on the Boss, they had 4 cars and 2 broke during the weekend.

I have been thinking about learning drifting for a while, mostly just to help when I overdo a turn at the track to try to get the car back inline. I spent a lot of years in AWD cars so recovering RWD spins is still a bit of a mystery to me.

CaliMR said:
I have been thinking about learning drifting for a while, mostly just to help when I overdo a turn at the track to try to get the car back inline. I spent a lot of years in AWD cars so recovering RWD spins is still a bit of a mystery to me.
It's just another day in the park for those of us up North. Growing up driving gravel roads and on snow/ice half the year, drifting is how we get around. ;D

I believe both gravel and snow are illegal in this part of CA.

I can hustle an AWD pretty well though. 4 wheel drifts are so much easier, and are easier the faster you go.

JScheier

Too Hot for the Boss!

CaliMR said:
...but I may try it out in the advanced class with my E30 once it stops puking oil.

I've got a 91 318is...let me know when you find the magic oil stop equation. I've replaced every gasket on that SOB and still get oil on the ground every morning.

I'll let you know if I figure it out, they are steam cleaning the motor to see where the gunk starts forming. There are no wet spots I can find on the motor, just on the crossmember under it.

PeteInCT

#LS-378 - So many Porsche's, so little time....
Connecticut

Here I am at VIR this past Tuesday. I was very happy with my lines for the most part. I was working on heel/toe so you'll see some spots where I coasting, that's me trying to get the damn revs up ;D I wasn't trying to get the fastest lap time in but ended up passing all but 2 cars on the track, a Porsche Turbo and a Dinan M3 race car. Passing the 2 dark colored Porsche's made me smile (about 7 minutes into the video).

PS: I'm using the remote start/stop gizmo that's sold at VIR. Tony, one of the workers/flagmen at VIR, makes them. Pretty cool - one button at the end of a cable that turns GoPro on and starts video recording. Hit it a second time and it stops recording and shuts off the GoPro. Helps a lot in saving the battery and memory space.

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OfMHfx_dLIs&feature=youtu.be[/youtube]

Lookin good Pete, guess you nothern guys are happy to get back out on track ;D

After driving around like a madman for a while I finally figured out that it's best to concentrate on the line and the speed will follow. Sometimes I try to keep up with faster cars and lose sight of that but I have been trying to stay on line first and foremost.

Heal toe has gotten better but for the longest time I could not do it at all. It's not perfect for me yet but at least the light came on at some point and I can hit it most of the time now.

PeteInCT

#LS-378 - So many Porsche's, so little time....
Connecticut

Yup, following can get you in a heap of trouble, especially if you're tailing a car very different than ours ;D Every once in a while I'll come up on a spec Miata or a Lotus and see how vastly different their lines are. If we follow them we'll end up in the brush, they stay so far off the shoulders so often since they are so light. Then again we could chosse to follow a car just like ours and make the same mistakes he is making ;D

drano38

Wayne

PeteInCT said:
. . . Then again we could choose to follow a car just like ours and make the same mistakes he is making ;D

I perfected this technique very quickly last summer. ;D

This is a perfect example of what we were talking about. Found this on Trackweekend, a vid from RA. Go to about the 9:20 mark.

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Suopxcs8yAY[/youtube]

OLOABoss

AKA OLOABoss

Thats Peter Bekkers and a friend. He is really really quick and you won't be passing him in a Boss. ;). Runs 2:18's at Sebring on RA1's.

Peter

OLOABoss said:
Thats Peter Bekkers and a friend. He is really really quick and you won't be passing him in a Boss. ;). Runs 2:18's at Sebring on RA1's.

That vid is not a put down to anyone, I am the last person who could put down anyone else as you know ::) He posted that on the "wall of shame" thread, which, as everyone says is mislabeled. So far I have not followed anyone off track but it can be easy to do. Last session of the last time at Homestead I passed a car in turn one very fast, shouldn't have done it but ... Was way too fast for turn two and drove straight off the track with all four wheels. I was feeling quite embarrassed until I looked in the rear view and through the dust I could see the guy I passed right behind me, tire track for tire track. It was still a bonehead move but I felt better not being the only car tearing up the grass.

TMO Supporting Vendors