The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

Trackey 91 Octane Label

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Fomoco302 said:
Related question-is there any downside/damage in using higher octane fuel than recommended, other than wasting money? Stock motor with Trackey.
The higher the octane, the more detonation inhibitor they put in it. If you don't have the compression to match the octane, eventually as you go up the scale, it will actually cause a power loss.

My sticker is still in my TK envelope. I run TK all the time and use 90 octane gas as it is the highest that I can buy where I live. I had it all OKed by Ford Racing and made sure the TK installer checked the "Octane" box when it was flashed. No problems with pre-detonation. The car runs great.

Plinker said:
Mine runs fine with 91 or 93 octane,can't really tell the difference between them.

Mine runs fine with 87 or 93 octane, can't really tell the difference between them. ;)

I have driven turbocharged Quattros for almost 20 years, so I'm used to reaching for 93 no matter what. But when I got the Boss, I started putting in 87 for road trips and such. I knew it wasn't making full power, but I only need 20 (or whatever) horsepower to push the car down the highway. So who cares? Then I started putting in 87 when I knew I would only be using the car to commute. Now I only put in 93 when I go to the track or when it starts to get really hot around here.

Anyway, I can't really tell the difference in ordinary driving, but I save a lot of money. Your mileage may vary. ;)

I only run 93 so it stayed with the rest of the documentation, same as the emission's sticker. I'm not having it inspected with the trackey in so I don't need that one either. But I still have it in case the bottom drops out of my life and I have to sell my Boss.

steveespo

Lord knows I'm a Voodoo Child
Exp. Type
W2W Racing
Exp. Level
10-20 Years
Cookeville TN
ArizonaBOSS said:
I run 91 plus Torco Additive which bumps it to 96+ (it's cheaper than buying 100 octane at $7.50/gal, and my tune is for 95 octane); but when I had TracKey I was running 91 out of the pump! :)

Drew
I checked the Torco and it looks like you can make 102 for $1.50/gal if you buy 5 gallon cans. Add $4.00 for 93 octane here out east and that's $5.50 per. I paid between $7.35-8.99/gallon this year at various tracks. For me that would be a $37-$70 savings during a single track day. Decent money, thanks for the tip.
Steve

Domestic Product

Big fat tires and everything !
I did not get that sticker for gas. Just got the one you put in the engine bay for emissions. I always run premium in the Boss. Really do not trust gas quality any more so I go with the premium.
Back to the track key install, my advice would be call around to a couple dealers and see if they have experience with the Boss and the track key before you take it in. The dealer I had install it here in Seattle had done several they only had one tech doing them. They are a large dealer as well. I have had my Boss at 3 different dealers and I must say I was surprised at their lack of knowledge on the Boss.

I agree with above. The dealer from which I purchased my BOSS plainly told me to go somewhere else for trak key. They said they'd never done it amd heard it was complex. My local dealer had done it plus a host of upgrades to another guy's BOSS. No issues. Acton Ford in Massachusetts. Definitely shop around and Talk to your dealer about security if they need to keep it over night or else this Could happen to you:

http://www.carscoops.com/2014/01/chevy-dealer-employee-crashes-camaro.html

jneary

Performance Fords
Norcal
Alright, leaving mine in the folder too. I never thought about that as a way to give something cool to the next owner AFTER I DIE!!!!

John

ufnavy06

Some say he has a tattoo of his face on his face.
Mine's under the filler itself on the black surround. Looks horrible but it's 'legal' if you will. But this car is only going to be mine or my son's (he might get it for his 16th when it's 17 years old ;) ) so we don't need to be reminded of 91+.

PhilTaylor

Track Attack 5-26-14
Mine is on the inside of the filler compartment, on the rear wall where it is most vertical and flat. I moved it around a bit looking for best placement, or what seemed so to my unskilled judgement.

The EO label for emissions is in the engine compartment on the drivers' strut tower to the front.

Over here in the UK, normal fuel is higher octane rated, (95 ron is the norm.) 97 or 99 or even 100 is freely available at the pumps, We call it Super Unleaded. Its a rule of thumb that euro performance cars require Super. Add some fuel additive and your up to 103 ron.
so, I have just learnt that I can buy the cheapest - lowest grade & the Boss will still be singing !
That's great news because the price difference is quite a lot. Not sure I'll even be able to find a grade as low as 87 or 91 though..... !
Do Ford USA sell locking fuel caps at dealers?

Tucson 302

2013 Black LS #439
British Boss said:

I don't know if dealers sell them, but I have seen several after market places selling them. So what are you paying for a liter of gas in the UK?

Tucson302 said:
I don't know if dealers sell them, but I have seen several after market places selling them. So what are you paying for a liter of gas in the UK?

Hi. Petrol /gas is £1.29 per litre = £5.85 per UK gallon
Diesel is £1.35 per litre = £6.13 per UK gallon
exchange rate is 1.6 $ to the £. but your gallons are different to ours. I think smaller, but not sure by how much!
update;
US gallon is .83 of a UK gallon or... you need 1.2 US gallons to make 1 UK gallon... !

British Boss said:
Over here in the UK, normal fuel is higher octane rated, (95 ron is the norm.) 97 or 99 or even 100 is freely available at the pumps, We call it Super Unleaded. Its a rule of thumb that euro performance cars require Super. Add some fuel additive and your up to 103 ron.
so, I have just learnt that I can buy the cheapest - lowest grade & the Boss will still be singing !
That's great news because the price difference is quite a lot. Not sure I'll even be able to find a grade as low as 87 or 91 though..... !
US posted octane is the average of RON and MON, with MON always lower. Does the UK post MON? May want to check that you're using minimum (R+M)/2 of 91...

302 Hi Pro

Boss 302 - Racing Legend to Modern Muscle Car
Southeast
I interested in this under hood label, sounds different from the only label I received with my TracKey voucher which the instructions said place at the fill pipe door.

Is this something that was supposed to come with the TK voucher? Or, is this something that I should ask the Dealer about? What does this label say and what is its purpose?

Thanks in advance for any advice,
302 Hi Pro

jneary

Performance Fords
Norcal
This label showed up a week after my Trackey was installed. It came in the mail from Ford Racing...

sticker.jpg

TMO Supporting Vendors