The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

TracKey Ping?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Has anyone else ever experienced noticeable ping while using the TracKey in comparison to the silver key? I can notice some at WOT when the RPM's really start climbing. 93 octane also.

CA 91 octane and never a ping with Track Key. According to the Track Key install notes, some slight pinging at low speeds is expected. If you feel it is excessive, then there's an Octane Adjust setting that your dealer can set.

There have been a few members that have had this issue but I don't recall any resolution to it. Have your dealer try reloading the program if they haven't already.

Fiddler49 said:
CA 91 octane and never a ping with Track Key. According to the Track Key install notes, some slight pinging at low speeds is expected. If you feel it is excessive, then there's an Octane Adjust setting that your dealer can set.

What does the Octane Adjust setting exactly do? I know it's set to no by default, I was reading the installation instructions.

ssmith891 said:
What does the Octane Adjust setting exactly do? I know it's set to no by default, I was reading the installation instructions.
My guess is that it makes the tune a bit less aggressive, but again just a guess. If I recall, this has fixed some people's pinging, but definitely not everyone's.

No pinging in my 2013 on CA 91 ever. Even when it's hot out. I have often wondered if people really here pinging or mistake some of the exhaust sounds as pinging...

BigTaco said:
No pinging in my 2013 on CA 91 ever. Even when it's hot out. I have often wondered if people really here pinging or mistake some of the exhaust sounds as pinging...

It's definitely not the exhaust. You can tell a clear difference between the TracKey and the silver key. There is zero ping with the silver key. And I never use anything besides 93.

I'd suggest calling the Ford Racing tech line. I had noticeable pinging several years ago when I first had TK installed. FR had me get the tune reinstalled, which corrected the problem. The Tech did tell me that they had seen this issue occur from time to time in higher altitudes and that they had a fix they could provide if the reinstall didn't fix the problem. This was 4 years ago though. You may also want to try some 98 Octane race fuel or some good octane boost in a tank or two. If the problem persists then you'll know it isn't the 93 octane you've been using.

KBBOSS1086 said:
I'd suggest calling the Ford Racing tech line. I had noticeable pinging several years ago when I first had TK installed. FR had me get the tune reinstalled, which corrected the problem. The Tech did tell me that they had seen this issue occur from time to time in higher altitudes and that they had a fix they could provide if the reinstall didn't fix the problem. This was 4 years ago though. You may also want to try some 98 Octane race fuel or some good octane boost in a tank or two. If the problem persists then you'll know it isn't the 93 octane you've been using.

Just called the tech line. He suggested I install an oil separator and that would according to him eliminate any engine ping. What do you guys think?

TMSBOSS

Spending my pension on car parts and track fees.
Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
10-20 Years
Illinois
ssmith891 said:
Just called the tech line. He suggested I install an oil separator and that would according to him eliminate any engine ping. What do you guys think?

If the detonation is caused by oil in the intake or fouling of valves and plugs by excessive oil in the intake stream. This could be a fix.

I would be interested to see if the oil separator fixes the issue.

I have a separate breather system which eliminates this issue.

Are you going to install a separator?

A true breather is the only way to go. I am not convinced that a catch can only inline of the PCV system is fully effective.

302 Hi Pro

Boss 302 - Racing Legend to Modern Muscle Car
Southeast
Inline oil separators do not eliminate oil in your IM, they reduce the amount and some are better than others.

The Peterson CVS as found on the CJ and Boss race program cars will eliminate oil vapors being introduced into your IM.

For engines running the OEM PVC system, the amount of carbon build up on the intake valve faces continues to build up with mileage. Again, some worse than others.

I have seen some intake valve faces with mounds of carbon build up after as little as 50,000 miles of operation.

Proper engine break-in procedures does help piston ring to cylinder wall seating, but oil consumption from excessive "blow-by" is a separate issue.

Dave
2HP

302 Hi Pro said:
Inline oil separators do not eliminate oil in your IM, they reduce the amount and some are better than others.

The Peterson CVS as found on the CJ and Boss race program cars will eliminate oil vapors being introduced into your IM.

For engines running the OEM PVC system, the amount of carbon build up on the intake valve faces continues to build up with mileage. Again, some worse than others.

I have seen some intake valve faces with mounds of carbon build up after as little as 50,000 miles of operation.

Proper engine break-in procedures does help piston ring to cylinder wall seating, but oil consumption from excessive "blow-by" is a separate issue.

Dave
2HP

Do you suggest it's worth a try then? It sounds like either way an oil separator can only do more good in general.

302 Hi Pro

Boss 302 - Racing Legend to Modern Muscle Car
Southeast
ssmith891 said:
Do you suggest it's worth a try then? It sounds like either way an oil separator can only do more good in general.

Yes, I highly recommend installing some sort of PCV system oil vapor recovery device, catch can, oil separator, etc.

There are several options out there that will help your engine run cleaner. As I stated above, some are better than others, but any choice you make is better than nothing, so check your options and install one on the passenger side of the engine, (between the PCV valve and Intake Manifold).

Let us know if it helps your Ping condition as per the Ford Performance Tech Rep you spoke with.

Dave
302 Hi Pro

So just installed the passenger side JLT Oil Separator and went out for a test drive...still pinging not even at full throttle around 4k RPMs and above. I guess next stop is the dealer to further investigate.

I've also done a little more digging on here and found that some members have been told this is normal by Ford Racing Techs...do you guys buy that? ???

I've noticed the ping as well with Track Key. I use nothing but Quik Trip premium but it's only 91 octane here. I had also heard that it was "normal". Would love to hear a solution.

TMO Supporting Vendors