The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

Transponder Location

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

So I'm finally at the point where I am actually racing and need a transponder mounted to my car. Where is a good place to mount this on the mustang? Do any of you guys who use one have a good picture of where you mounted yours so it sees the ground? I've been told that they have to have line of sight directly to the ground. This will be a permanent mount so attaching it to the front grill probably won't be my first choice either.
Thanks,
James

ArizonaBOSS

Because racecar.
Arizona, USA
For wheel-to-wheel, you want it as far forward as possible. Time Trial, doesn't really matter.

On my race car, I have a hard-wired transponder, and cut out a section of the undertray where it butts up to the passenger front wheelwell forward liner.

Then I have riveted the transponder to the inside of the wheel well liner ("inside" meaning within the body, not exposed to the wheel), and the bottom of the transponder pokes through the cutout in the undertray. Again, this is for a hard-wire unit that receives power directly from the vehicle.

For a rechargeable transponder, I would just zip-tie it multiple times to your tow hook in the front. :)

Also when I used rechargeable transponders for Time Trial I would mount them to the bottom of the EVAP gear under the spare tire well. There is a metal tray that holds the charcoal canister back there, and it has a number of cutouts that you can slip zip-ties through pretty easily and not have to get too far under the car.

ArizonaBOSS, thanks for the ideas. I think I'll try the rear mounting system by the spare tire since I only do time trial racing.
James

TMO Supporting Vendors

Latest posts

Buy TMO Apparel

Buy TMO Apparel