The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

  • Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

Tuning - When is it required?

401
0
Hey guys,

I was looking for some decisive answers on tuning.

My main question is, when it it required? I like the track-key and its cool and I am not so convinced that the after-market tunes will have all of the features it has. At the same time, I want to do all the boltons I can so I can squeeze a little more power out of my roadrunner ie LTs, CAI, Throttle Body, Cat-less exhaust, and so on.

What do you guys think? If tuning is req'd, who is the best and offers OEM level tuning?

Sarosh
 

ArizonaBOSS

Because racecar.
Moderator
8,552
2,392
Arizona, USA
Tuning Not Needed:
Headers WITH cats
Mufflers/other exhaust.

Tuning Needed:
TB
CAI (with larger MAF)
Headers WITHOUT cats
Cams
Forced Induction

Only tuner I've had experience with (second-hand) has been AED and I'm impressed with the results on a friend's car.
Others like VMP, they have a long history with forced induction.
 

Justin

Save the dawn for your dishes!!!
I agree with ArizonaGT.

I have had the trackey
JLP lopey idle tune
Steeda tunes both reg idle and lopey
Aed tunes both reg and lopey
AED E85 tunes both reg and Lopey

Hands down AED makes the others feel like a joke. you will loss the features of the trackey you can get tunes to retain the lopey idle.
 
Back in Black said:
I thought the tb didn't need a tune? Nice to know I can get LT headers without a tune .
You'll still get a CEL for cat efficiency with LT headers without a tune. You can get a tune to shut it off or live with the CEL.
 

Justin

Save the dawn for your dishes!!!
Back in Black said:
I thought the tb didn't need a tune? Nice to know I can get LT headers without a tune .
that depends on which one you get this one doesnt require a tune
http://www.americanmuscle.com/bbk-85mm-throttlebody-112gt.html
nor does this one
http://www.americanmuscle.com/bbk-90mm-tb-1112gt.html

but this one does require a tune
http://www.americanmuscle.com/frpp-90mm-tbody-1112gt.html
 

Justin

Save the dawn for your dishes!!!
Back in Black said:
Would the FRPP 84.5 require a tune?
according to this link and parts description a calibration is required.
http://www.lethalperformance.com/2011-2012-2013-mustang-gt-5-0l/induction/throttle-bodies/ford-racing/ford-racing-2011-2013-mustang-5-0l-84-5mm-throttle-body.html

this accufab one seems to require no tune
http://www.latemodelrestoration.com/item/AF-F845/2011-13-Mustang-50L-Accufab-845mm-Throttle-Body

which I dont get cause I heard accufab makes the TB's for ford racing.
 
sadil said:
Hey guys,

I was looking for some decisive answers on tuning.

My main question is, when it it required? I like the track-key and its cool and I am not so convinced that the after-market tunes will have all of the features it has. At the same time, I want to do all the boltons I can so I can squeeze a little more power out of my roadrunner ie LTs, CAI, Throttle Body, Cat-less exhaust, and so on.

What do you guys think? If tuning is req'd, who is the best and offers OEM level tuning?

Sarosh

My opinion is go with Track Key (at least for a while) as it gives you one thing the others don't, your warranty.
 
1,281
3
Tulsa, OK
As a few others have said, if you're tuning just go with AED and call it a day. You'll be kicking yourself for not having done it sooner. Your car will be a different animal after being tuned.
 
401
0
Thanks guys for all of the replies.

Looks like AED is popular. I dont understand their prices online, seems like you have to bring your car in for the tune. I was wondering what the price is for the tune if I buy a SCT tuning unit. Or do they offer a package deal?

Secondly, regarding the throttle body. Do TB's require specific tuning? I understand Ford Racing sells a 90mm TB but does not offer any information regarding tuning or calibration. How would you calibrate such a TB? There is also BBK's 85 and 90 mm TB's, but again, dont know how to calibrate those, unless the tuner can take care of that? My knowledge of TB's is zero, so im lost.

Lastly, im not too concerned about the "fake" lopey idle. I feel like its a waste to imitate tall cams, but thats just by opinion. But lets talk other things like throttle response and engine braking. The trackey supposedly changes 100's of parameters in the ECU when you switch keys. How many of those things can be carried over with a aftermarket tune? Is it even necessary to carry this over? Is the trackey even a legitimate "track" tune? I have it, and its fun, but does it really do everything it says it does, im not sure.

Let me know what you guys think. Again, thanks for chiming in.
 

captdistraction

GrumpyRacer
1,786
1,331
Phoenix, Az
So on the TB's, I'm just not sure they're worth the trouble for the Boss intake.

You do get a faster throttle response from the larger blade aperture, but it indeed messes with the tuning. We fought with accufabs forever on my new motor before giving up and going back to the stocker. I do miss the fast throttle response, but that is also something I could get in tuning if I really wanted it.


As far as tuning for throttle bodies, there's some brake-torque calculations among other drive-by-wire stuff (idle control, etc) and TPS measurements.
 
Justin said:
according to this link and parts description a calibration is required.
http://www.lethalperformance.com/2011-2012-2013-mustang-gt-5-0l/induction/throttle-bodies/ford-racing/ford-racing-2011-2013-mustang-5-0l-84-5mm-throttle-body.html

this accufab one seems to require no tune
http://www.latemodelrestoration.com/item/AF-F845/2011-13-Mustang-50L-Accufab-845mm-Throttle-Body

which I dont get cause I heard accufab makes the TB's for ford racing.
Maybe I'll have to break down and get a tune. Don't really want a mail order tune again, need to find sokeone semi local. Thanks for the answers and help.
 
1,281
3
Tulsa, OK
sadil said:
Thanks guys for all of the replies.

Looks like AED is popular. I dont understand their prices online, seems like you have to bring your car in for the tune. I was wondering what the price is for the tune if I buy a SCT tuning unit. Or do they offer a package deal?

Secondly, regarding the throttle body. Do TB's require specific tuning? I understand Ford Racing sells a 90mm TB but does not offer any information regarding tuning or calibration. How would you calibrate such a TB? There is also BBK's 85 and 90 mm TB's, but again, dont know how to calibrate those, unless the tuner can take care of that? My knowledge of TB's is zero, so im lost.

Lastly, im not too concerned about the "fake" lopey idle. I feel like its a waste to imitate tall cams, but thats just by opinion. But lets talk other things like throttle response and engine braking. The trackey supposedly changes 100's of parameters in the ECU when you switch keys. How many of those things can be carried over with a aftermarket tune? Is it even necessary to carry this over? Is the trackey even a legitimate "track" tune? I have it, and its fun, but does it really do everything it says it does, im not sure.

Let me know what you guys think. Again, thanks for chiming in.

The AED tune is $250. You will also need to purchase an SCT tuner prior to getting a tune from their. I would suggest buying one from American Muscle or some other online retailer. They will come some free tunes but I would just disregard them if you're going with an AED tune. Shaun at AED will then request that you send him datalogs of your car. Then he will write and send you a base tune. You'll load this tune on your car and then send him new datalogs so he can tweak the tune to your car. This process will go back a forth a few times until the tune is perfect.

The lopey tune is just kind of a "fun" thing to have. There is no performance gains or anything like that and mileage suffers greatly. Also you can't run cats with a lopey tune. It's just personal preference. Throttle response will be greatly improved along with engine braking regardless of the tune.
 

TMO Supporting Vendors

Top