The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

What did you do to your Boss 302 or S197 today?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Re: What did you do to your boss today?

Tucson302 said:
Oh and if you are going back to DOT tires what are you going to do with all those slicks in your garage???

actually Run the NT-01's for most HPDE events, and the slicks usually save for racing... However, i've chased down most of the 302S's out on the track with my NT-01's.. But, long story short, the two stacks of slicks aren't going anywhere.. lol.. Discount Tire and Tire Rack love me..

buland

One of the rare Boss LS in Switzerland

oh guys, you make me crazy about your cool mods :D
here in switzerland we don't have a track and we can't change so much tings on the car without to have a issue with the police.

if I were born again, I'd live in the USA. :-*

ArizonaBOSS

Because racecar.
Arizona, USA

Watson does indeed make motor mounts--these should be pretty damn impervious to damage as well: http://shop.watsonracing.com/Coyote-Solid-Engine-Mounts-p/wr-coyotesldmnt.htm Maybe I'll get those instead.

Tucson302 said:
Oh and if you are going back to DOT tires what are you going to do with all those slicks in your garage???
Those tires (Conti GTO) are a disappointment. I'll run them throughout the rest of this year but I'm strongly considering going to DOTs for the 2015 season. Might even buy a set of Nittos or Hoosiers before the year is out as well.

Tucson302 said:
Drew my NT01's were 305's on the 18x10 drifts they seemed ok to me

OK, if they mounted up then it shouldn't be any problem!

Today, I bought my 2012 BOSS LS #478 a sister: A 2013 SBY LS # 617 (with less than 1K miles) :)
4865888_1.jpg

It should be delivered in 8 weeks (It is still in the US)...

Fomoco302

Life is short. Live well!

buland said:
oh guys, you make me crazy about your cool mods :D
here in switzerland we don't have a track and we can't change so much tings on the car without to have a issue with the police.

if I were born again, I'd live in the USA. :-*

I'm happy to live in the USA, wouldn't change it, but I've driven your roads, Germany, Austria and Northern Italy and we don't have anything comparable here in Texas. The "grass is always greener" as the saying goes. 8)

ArizonaBOSS said:
Watson does indeed make motor mounts--these should be pretty damn impervious to damage as well: http://shop.watsonracing.com/Coyote-Solid-Engine-Mounts-p/wr-coyotesldmnt.htm Maybe I'll get those instead.
Those tires (Conti GTO) are a disappointment. I'll run them throughout the rest of this year but I'm strongly considering going to DOTs for the 2015 season. Might even buy a set of Nittos or Hoosiers before the year is out as well.

i agree, i'm not a fan of the conti slicks.. Hoosier R6's are a MUCH better tire, but they are expensive and wear quickly even with meticulous rotations (every session)..

This is why i run the Nitto NT-01's about 80% of the time.. great tire, wear, and traction on the track for the price!

buland

One of the rare Boss LS in Switzerland

perfect, congrat Patrick!!!!!!
We made a meet with all the LS and Boss;-)

patrickshelby said:
Today, I bought my 2012 BOSS LS #478 a sister: A 2013 SBY LS # 617 (with less than 1K miles) :)
4865888_1.jpg

It should be delivered in 8 weeks (It is still in the US)...

ArizonaBOSS

Because racecar.
Arizona, USA

ArizonaBOSS said:
Outstanding.

Hey Neema those Weld wheels look great...

Thanks Drew! I'm eager to mount them up.

FYI, below is a comparison of the 305/35/18 nt01 on a 10.5" vs 12" wheel.

hezuda6a.jpg

by4u8eha.jpg

4upa7u8y.jpg

u8yny7ej.jpg

ArizonaBOSS

Because racecar.
Arizona, USA

I really like the F14s; trying not to buy any new wheels if I can avoid it, however. $1300 would go a lot better as a big chunk of a set of MCS doubles or JRi doubles...or 1/3 of the way to Multimatic triples..................................

First World Problems :eek:

Those must be the F14 of the Porsche!?
How does your Boss compare to it on the track?
(Given that both of you are equivalent drivers)

12 inch wheel is just too wide for a 305 tire in my opinion.. it balloons out too much for our bosses/S197s.. it definitely wears a little better and more evenly, but i have a set of 315 NT-01's that i'm thinking bout squeezing onto my 10.5 inch PF01's if i can't get another set of 305's by august for the Barber Track Event.

NFSBOSS said:
Wow that's quite a difference. Those are Forgestsrs? What width do you have up front?

Yep, Forgestar F14s. They're the track wheels for the Porsche, not my car. 18x9s in the front with 245s.

patrickshelby said:
Those must be the F14 of the Porsche!?
How does your Boss compare to it on the track?
(Given that both of you are equivalent drivers)

The wanna-be-Boss puts down faster lap times, but the Porsche has fantastic feel--especially in its steering. The brakes are super awesome, but it has terrible understeer. It could probably make up a lot of ground if I had more control of chassis rotation with the throttle. You must be pointed almost straight before adding any throttle input, otherwise... you keep going straight (it's the polar opposite of our cars, or Z/28s for that matter). It's related to the GT3, so I know it has potential. Coughing up money for Porsche parts is astronomically expensive though.

SC BOSS said:
Replaced the stock boss struts/shocks with yellow Koni sports.
Wow, I think you have done the most to a Boss in the shotest amount of time than just about anybody. I really enjoy reading all your changes you made. Have you driven the car sense you had the K-member out with all those changes.

TymeSlayer

Tramps like us, Baby we were born to run...
Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
3-5 Years
Brighton, Colorado

SC BOSS said:
Replaced the stock boss struts/shocks with yellow Koni sports.

Looking forward to your feedback on the Konis. Mine sit here awaiting the tyme to get them and my MM caster/camber plates installed. (Probably sometyme in Late August)
Any feedback you share would be greatly appreciated.

installed adjustable panhard bar and centered rear from P-springs. Was only off by 3/16" but felt it needed it to be perfect.

steveespo

Lord knows I'm a Voodoo Child
Exp. Type
W2W Racing
Exp. Level
10-20 Years
Cookeville TN

I also installed Ford Racing adjustable Panhard Bar
photo212_zpsc5e7fbc1.jpg
photo111_zps78729e73.jpg

Beside that, I am doing post event teardown, starting with the rear I found this carnage;
photo112_zps87febabe.jpg
Replaced rotor and then on the left side found this!!
photo213_zpsf209f6b2.jpg

Very strange, must have flat spotted it during one of my last 2 sessions at Summit, I experienced corner exit wheel spin a couple of times and noticed lap times were going up ( when you saw me give Sako the point by in his video) but did not feel any strange vibrations. Anyway will have to use another set, these had 9 1/2 hours on track so for $80 each I think I got my money's worth. May buy a set of Nitto NT-01 for Watkins Glen so Pete and I are on the same tire, no potential bitchin' there.
Steve

TMO Supporting Vendors

Latest posts

Buy TMO Apparel

Buy TMO Apparel