The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

What did you do to your Boss 302 or S197 today?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Grant 302

basic and well known psychic
Re: What did you do to your boss today?

ArizonaBOSS said:
Steve:

Make sure you use the compressed air in the cylinder trick when you're doing the valvesprings.

I didn't have to worry about dropping a valve into the cylinder when doing the springs since the heads were off the car.

Based on a previous discussion, I think he's putting the cylinder being worked on at TDC to prevent valve drop. Personally, I wouldn't trust using only air pressure.

ArizonaBOSS

Because racecar.
Arizona, USA

Grant 302 said:
Based on a previous discussion, I think he's putting the cylinder being worked on at TDC to prevent valve drop. Personally, I wouldn't trust using only air pressure.

Each cylinder needs to be at TDC even with the air method, because otherwise the air pressure will escape through the (partially) open valves and you will not have resistance.

One other thing I've heard of was slipping a coil of nylon rope in through the spark plug hole. to provide physical resistance.

Grant 302

basic and well known psychic

ArizonaBOSS said:
Each cylinder needs to be at TDC even with the air method, because otherwise the air pressure will escape through the (partially) open valves and you will not have resistance.

One other thing I've heard of was slipping a coil of nylon rope in through the spark plug hole. to provide physical resistance.

That makes sense. I've always ASSumed that people using the air method just turned the crank until they saw the valves on that cylinder closed. Heard of the rope trick, but never tried it myself...not really a fan of putting anything solid in there and it seems to be low on the benefit/time.

steveespo

Lord knows I'm a Voodoo Child
Exp. Type
W2W Racing
Exp. Level
10-20 Years
Cookeville TN

Will be using TDC and air methods as needed. I am not removing cams to change the springs. To do this you need to lift the finger follower off of the valve tip and rotate it out of the way 90 degrees. To do this you have to push the valve down about 1/4". I am using the Freedom racing tool. I have tested this method on the new Boss heads I have with cams installed, It's tedious but I would rather not remove the front cover , cams and chains if I don't have too. Just installing Boss 302 valve springs, no need for anything more with stock GT cams.
Steve

steveespo said:
Just installing Boss 302 valve springs, no need for anything more with stock GT cams.
Steve
Has anyone looked at the Roush Yates valve springs? Are they the same as the Ford Racing springs?

https://www.fordracingparts.com/parts/part_details.asp?PartKeyField=12906

ArizonaBOSS

Because racecar.
Arizona, USA

I couldn't find any info on them when I was looking to do my build; I just went with the FRPP/stock stuff.

By today I have spent $4400 in gas since owning the Boss on March 2013.
But $1000000 worth of fun using it!

ArizonaBOSS

Because racecar.
Arizona, USA

Ordered a Dynotech Aluminum DS from Lethal Performance. Ordered from Blowfish originally but they are no longer a dealer :(

Drove it down to Vancouver Island and left it there while I pack and move the rest of my stuff. Had a brand new Jag follow me through the canyon and found out Michelin PSS are fantastic in the rain. Signed up for my first auto x for this Sunday too. My BOSS will be my DD from now on as we don't get snow on the island!!!!

My KNS DBA T3 ClubSpec 4000 Series Slotted Rotor arrived and will be installed as soon as this white stuff they call SNOW is gone. Should have them installed by this week.

FYI....Ken at KNS took real good care of me. Very happy with them!!!

Picked up my car from Cortex on Friday; they did a fantastic job. Oil cooler, radiator, mufflers, gt500 fan, and 302s grille installed. Filip and Trent were the coolest. The install like factory; no traces of them ever touching the car. I'm a very satisfied customer.

BigTaco said:
Picked up my car from Cortex on Friday; they did a fantastic job. Oil cooler, radiator, mufflers, gt500 fan, and 302s grille installed. Filip and Trent were the coolest. The install like factory; no traces of them ever touching the car. I'm a very satisfied customer.
Trent's the man! Which oil cooler did you install?

NFSBOSS said:
Trent's the man! Which oil cooler did you install?
I was able to track down a discontinued FRPP/Watson unit. I wish I could take pictures without removing the bumper...

Trent routed all of the hoses nice and clean inside of the frame. Nothing is hanging under the car. He even made holes in the drivers side radiator enclosure/foam for the two hoses to pass through. No BS, it looks like it rolled out of the factory with this cooler installed. Coretex should sell a revised version of this kit with revised instructions and mounting hardware. He added a hose divider thingy as well. Really cool stuff...

buland

One of the rare Boss LS in Switzerland

finished the fog lights installation. installed led pulps for better match to the led day running lights and xenon lights.

P1020031_zpslacao2eh.jpg
P1020030_zps9azq9nmb.jpg
P1020028_zpsgm3j5aj0.jpg
P1020026_zpsiq9otn0j.jpg
P1020025_zpsndrv0yg2.jpg

and, off course, cleaned and prepared for season 2015. but now it starts to rain :mad:

TMO Supporting Vendors