The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

What did you do to your Boss 302 or S197 today?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Re: What did you do to your boss today?

Should have gotten 302F.

I put the p zero back yesterday.

I will have to admit, the Blizzak WS80 were more predictable! I know it sounds crazy, but they would breakaway beautifully. With Pirelli P Zeros they grip and once they break, fast they slide.

I literally feel the extra weight of the stock wheels/tires. The car feels heavier at every aspect (acceleration, turning and stopping). It obviously understeers a lot due to the rear 20mm rear sway bar.

To 18 inch wheels will likely go even for DD.

Also did a complete brake job XP12/XP10 with centric premiums. Review to come soon after my first track day on the 25th of April at Grattan raceway.

I had the dealer to do transmission and diff fluids change. I think $250 is not too bad.

302 Hi Pro

Boss 302 - Racing Legend to Modern Muscle Car
Southeast

Grant 302 said:
The Boss and FakeR Boss.

17181961191_c518315ae5_z.jpg

Hi Grant:

Before you do any cutting, could you post a few full view pics of your Kona blue Mustang? I actually think it looks great and really like that splash of red with the blue and white. I'll bet that white hockey stripe looks nice on the Kona blue as well.

Thanks in advance,
Dave
2HP

Grant 302

basic and well known psychic

302 Hi Pro said:
Hi Grant:

Before you do any cutting, could you post a few full view pics of your Kona blue Mustang? I actually think it looks great and really like that splash of red with the blue and white. I'll bet that white hockey stripe looks nice on the Kona blue as well.

Thanks in advance,
Dave
2HP
Dave-
Thanks! Just have some crummy cell phone pics so far:

17182072331_5b741d1eb8_z.jpg

17182773411_ed6dc715db_z.jpg

Exp. Level
10-20 Years
Michigan

NFSBOSS said:
Nice. I look forward to your feedback on this as I made too many changes to my Boss at one time to determine what the watts link added.

Have now spent 2 days at the Track (NCM) with the Cortex Watts link. My car had slight understeer at the limit prior to install, with the thin Watson Rear Sway Bar and the Ford Racing bar set to the middle setting, running staggered tires.

I anticipated that with the additional rear grip with the Watts link, the understeer would increase, so I set the front bar to soft.

Net result the car is now totally balanced. Lap times are tough to judge because NCM is a Track that has on been open 6 months. But there's no doubt my car is now better balanced, even more predictable and easier to drive closer to the limit.

Met Sarkis at Shenandoah and did about 100 laps, I now have a constant feeling of motion. I don't get how race car drivers do it.

Grant 302

basic and well known psychic

NFSBOSS said:
Grant, looking good! My kids want me to peel the plasti dip on my grille and go back to my white "fangs". My daughter says it looks meaner.

Thanks, and I agree with your daughter. :) I was looking for a CJ grille up until I found this white Boss one.

Brandon302 said:
Met Sarkis at Shenandoah and did about 100 laps, I now have a constant feeling of motion. I don't get how race car drivers do it.

It was nice meeting you and your family Brandon. That heat really beat us up pretty well!

Installed MGW race spec shifter. Every mustang owner needs one of these. Huge improvement. On the installation
beware the dust boot. George makes it look a lot easier than it is!!! I am a happy camper.

Silver LS said:
Installed MGW race spec shifter. Every mustang owner needs one of these. Huge improvement. On the installation
beware the dust boot. George makes it look a lot easier than it is!!! I am a happy camper.

Glad that you liked it, but what did exactly improve?

McLeod RST with the light steel flywheel and the CPR are in. Ready to put the trans back in with the Dynotech 1P DS in tomorrow with the BMR front loop.

CF2537ED-3C99-4C35-9AD1-ABAB4663976A_zpstumbf6oa.jpg

TMSBOSS

Spending my pension on car parts and track fees.
Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
10-20 Years
Illinois

further said:
McLeod RST with the light steel flywheel and the CPR are in. Ready to put the trans back in with the Dynotech 1P DS in tomorrow with the BMR front loop.

CF2537ED-3C99-4C35-9AD1-ABAB4663976A_zpstumbf6oa.jpg

Let me know if there was anything "Special" you have to do to install the RST. I will install mine a 10 days.

13Boss said:
Glad that you liked it, but what did exactly improve?
My car had a gen 1 MGW in it when I bought it. The race spec is a lot smoother. The gates seem a little farther apart
so you don't go into an unintended gear. Reverse is first time every time. With the gen 1 it was really hard to get into
reverse. I don't know if this was my shifter or a problem with the gen 1. The installation of the gen 1 was really sloppy.
So I think it was my shifter.

byronj said:
Does dropping it off at the body shop because some B&^T^ decided to drive down the side of my car count as doing something to it? :mad:

No it does not. Thats because you did not do that. It was some B&^T^.
It sucks when chit like this happens. We go that extra mile to take car of our cars only to have some A-Hole screw it up.
I hope the repairs meet your standards.

TMO Supporting Vendors