The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

What did you do to your Boss 302 or S197 today?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Re: What did you do to your boss today?

Nothing special about the grommet so stop by your local auto parts store and find one that fits. Yes the 3/4" discs are the perfect sound if you're not running wide open. They are the most popular size I sell for a good reason.

BigTaco said:
Installed my "3/4 exhaust discs today. Along with the GT500 mufflers, man, this is how it should have come from the factory. Going to install my Watson/ Peterson breather kit tomorrow. I have not wrenched on a car in years. Feels good to get back into it :D.

Anyone know of an oem ford part number for a firewall plug/grommet that will work for deleting the sound tube? I don't want to use just anything. I want it to look factory. Did the V6 cars come with a plug? That might work?

Auto zone has it in the HELP section and its called a brake plug or something like that, get the one for a Ford and it fits perfect.

Chipping away at the long laundry list: changed to the OEM 18mm sway bar from the stock GT 24mm bar, and dropped the watts link prop/roll center adjustment in the rear. Thanks to (I think) @nfsboss for the tip--the swaybar was a cheap find on Amazon.

38f29cdfbe9a80d499586ef82911a49d.jpg

e5e62bcf2b15341af5e25d17de9cd46d.jpg

a74d8f4e66aa2f67116b0841c8abf23c.jpg

ArizonaBOSS

Because racecar.
Arizona, USA

You should be able to get on the throttle sooner and harder coming out of the corner now. Proceed with caution as you ramp it up :)

Grant 302

basic and well known psychic

neema said:
Chipping away at the long laundry list: changed to the OEM 18mm sway bar from the stock GT 24mm bar, and dropped the watts link prop/roll center adjustment in the rear. Thanks to (I think) @nfsboss for the tip--the swaybar was a cheap find on Amazon.

38f29cdfbe9a80d499586ef82911a49d.jpg

e5e62bcf2b15341af5e25d17de9cd46d.jpg

a74d8f4e66aa2f67116b0841c8abf23c.jpg

That just means you don't hang out here often enough!! ;)

Just bought a tune and tuner from AED, hopefully it will be going in Monday, off road H will be going on shortly after.

302 Hi Pro

Boss 302 - Racing Legend to Modern Muscle Car
Southeast

Black Boss said:
Wrapped the Headers. Will start install later today....

IMG_1041_zpsgcqxsxqs.jpg

Very nice, so when you wrap the headers, it appears as though yo begin by wrapping each header tube from the cylinder head flange down to the collector then once each tube is wrapped, you then wrap the collector area?

Next, what brand of header wrap do you use?

Thanks,
Dave
2HP

Grant what was your gain from the R? It is the most menacing sound so it most have been quite a bit.

Exp. Level
10-20 Years
Michigan

302 Hi Pro said:
Very nice, so when you wrap the headers, it appears as though yo begin by wrapping each header tube from the cylinder head flange down to the collector then once each tube is wrapped, you then wrap the collector area?

Next, what brand of header wrap do you use?

Thanks,
Dave
2HP

Dave,

I used DEI's Titanium wrap, and followed their online instructions: https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=sT6JnrncUSI

Start with Individual tubes at the Collector, and Finish with any combined tubes and the Collector, again starting at the Collector. The last wrap goes all the way from the collector, via any combined tunes to the last single tube at the Cylinder head flange.

Black Boss said:
Wrapped the Headers. Will start install later today....

IMG_1041_zpsgcqxsxqs.jpg

Keep us posted on the install! I'm anxious to see how it goes. These are high on my priority list!

Dropping k-member to install? Last time I dropped mine for 302R rack and oil pan, I told myself may be easiest way to install headers when time comes.

Luke

Grant 302

basic and well known psychic

Brandon302 said:
Grant what was your gain from the R? It is the most menacing sound so it most have been quite a bit.

At least +5 sticka powah. ;)

The unintended effect from the graphics is popularity with neighborhood teens. :(

Exp. Level
10-20 Years
Michigan

SC BOSS said:
Keep us posted on the install! I'm anxious to see how it goes. These are high on my priority list!

Dropping k-member to install? Last time I dropped mine for 302R rack and oil pan, I told myself may be easiest way to install headers when time comes.

Luke

Luke,

Yep, I did the Steering Rack without dropping the K-Member. Not this time! It's coming out today -- removed the braces, Steering ball joints, Howe Joints, Starter Motor and lifted the Engine a bit yesterday, along with the rear K-member bolts. Just got the forward 4 nuts to remove today and then I'll start removing the Stock Headers.

I'm also installing the Watson Racing Solid Engine Mounts while I've got the mounts off.

Black Boss said:
Luke,

Yep, I did the Steering Rack without dropping the K-Member. Not this time! It's coming out today -- removed the braces, Steering ball joints, Howe Joints, Starter Motor and lifted the Engine a bit yesterday, along with the rear K-member bolts. Just got the forward 4 nuts to remove today and then I'll start removing the Stock Headers.

I'm also installing the Watson Racing Solid Engine Mounts while I've got the mounts off.
Awesome! K-member removal isn't bad! Take some pics of the headers installed and the toro mounts! Both on my list of mods!

Changed brake fluids, installed carbotech ax6 brake pads, oil change and took off the mud flaps collecting rocks at the rear wheels.

TMO Supporting Vendors

Buy TMO Apparel

Buy TMO Apparel