The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

What did you do to your Boss 302 or S197 today?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Re: What did you do to your boss today?

Kurt and I went swimming today, after my grandpa and dad worked with the car it is running once again.

four-walling

Kerry, San Diego

NFSBOSS said:
Detailed my Boss in preparation for Snakes at the Lake @ Lake Tahoe next Saturday. My son helped me and can now do most of the detail work so that was a nice Father's Day present. ;D

When he can reach the pedals and see over the steering wheel I know what he will want for his birthday!

;)

four-walling said:
When he can reach the pedals and see over the steering wheel I know what he will want for his birthday!

;)
Ha he's 13 and 5'8". He can already do that but he's going to have to wait until he's 16.

TMSBOSS said:
That makes me think of the line from Risky Business. "Who's the U-boat commander.

Hope the Boss is OK!!
Surprisingly runs just fine, water in the oil and only a little residual moisture in the heads which I will be keeping an eye on. Thankfully it has been so damn hot here recently that I can leave the filler cap open and allow it to dry out.

Grant 302 said:
^Eesh. :eek: *My* Boss only gets deionized water. :p ;)

After her 7th bath.
18940541830_3b1b23096d.jpg
Very nice, love the gloss !

I got board, needed something to do. So I pulled out my front Koni/MM spring and reinstalled my Roush/KW front coilovers and rear shocks, left in the MM rear springs. Pulled the 18mm rear sway bar and reinstalled my Kenny Brown Roll-Center Relocation Kit. Holy crap! I should have tried that before. I reset the front sway bar to the middle (stiffer front springs) It feels like the Koni/MM set up but with more control and much less brake dive.

The ride is smoother over rough bumps, the housings are shorter on the KW struts and shock than the Koni's and have more travel. Setting the shocks stiffer didn't change the ride. It was just firmer not rougher. I can still get on the power earlier as before and the back end sticks. Turn in is quick with no push, Mid corn on a tight 180 turn just has enough push that the tires howl just a tad but never give up grip. Over all, I may keep this set up. I like the ride and not giving anything up in handling. Ride height is 27" from the ground to fender lip. Rear control arms are level with the rake of the body, panhard bar is level with the ground at ride height.

Grant 302 said:
^Eesh. :eek: *My* Boss only gets deionized water. :p ;)

After her 7th bath.
18940541830_3b1b23096d.jpg

Good DIW is definitely not a good idea. It might be OK for the paint (not sure about that, though), but it will rust any exposed metal VERY fast since it will be looking for ions. Even good stainless, of which there is probably none on a car nowadays... Distilled and a chamois should be pure enough if you are just trying to avoid water spots.

Grant 302

basic and well known psychic

That's all good to point out...I just wouldn't leave it on for long or use it in humid areas where evaporation rates are low. I'm not worried about that here in SoCal, where water dries faster than I want it to anyway. I wouldn't use chemically pure DI water either way, or under the hood because of all the bare metal parts for that matter.

steveespo

Lord knows I'm a Voodoo Child
Exp. Type
W2W Racing
Exp. Level
10-20 Years
Cookeville TN

Spent the day at the shop tearing down the drive train to begin repair on Throwout bearing and clutch master cylinder. Was hoping the clutch was OK but you know how that goes......

IMG_1805_zpslttrc0pv.jpg
IMG_1806_zpscf1lzbiv.jpg
IMG_1807_zpsb40x7saq.jpg
IMG_1809_zpsjyjsogwk.jpg
IMG_1810_zpsqthiqdy5.jpg
IMG_1811_zpsqqm2ixq2.jpg
IMG_1812_zpsrthd4aub.jpg
IMG_1813_zpshfzvyuz5.jpg
IMG_1814_zpshorjq1zi.jpg
IMG_1815_zps4mixeneh.jpg
IMG_1816_zpsefeupdus.jpg
IMG_1817_zpsrdikgzql.jpg
Pulled the exhaust, took out the pedal assembly to change clutch cylinder and put a braided clutch line in. Pulled the trans to verify problem with throw out bearing which had weeped and fell apart when I touched it. Then figured I better check the clutch, at first it looked fine but after unbolting the pressure plate found that one mounting tab was broken off. Broke it down to the flywheel and all the discs, the floater, pressure plate and flywheel surfaces are in excellent condition. Just ordered a replacement RST kit, (can't afford the Exedy dual disc right now) from American Muscle, will be here Tuesday. I have the clutch cylinder and small parts arriving tomorrow and the NOS trans I picked up should arrive Tuesday as well. Car should be back together and ready to race by next Saturday. Kicked my ass today, thanks to my friend Chris Numme of Numme's Auto body for giving me a lift and shop space so I didn't have to do this job laying on my back again.
Steve

This thread makes me sad :(

Although I did finish hacking up my Boss 302S grill, hopefully it will aid a bit more in cooling.

302 Hi Pro

Boss 302 - Racing Legend to Modern Muscle Car
Southeast

I am surprised to see the pressure plate housing stress fractured at one of the mounting tabs. That should not have happened and and i suspect it is from the use of cheap roll steel used in the stamping process. Shame to see you have to go through this.

Good Luck with your repairs.
Dave
302 HP

Picked up my 2013 from the dealer's shop today after blowing up the clutch at Laguna Seca last week. I had them install a RST clutch & flywheel, exedy TOB slave, CPR and a one piece drive shaft while they had everything apart. Stock clutch Failed on track at 13,800 miles with 28 track days on it (total lockup into the corkscrew)

I had all the driveline parts at home ready to be installed - only timed the replacent wrong by one track day resulting in a tow to the dealer.

Unless others get more use with the RST's, I'm planning on replacing at 30 track days....before failure.

Steve

TMO Supporting Vendors

Latest posts

Buy TMO Apparel

Buy TMO Apparel