The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

What did you do to your Boss 302 or S197 today?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

302 Hi Pro

Boss 302 - Racing Legend to Modern Muscle Car
Southeast
Re: What did you do to your boss today?

cloud9 said:
My old wheels look better than they did when they were new! 8)

Hi C9:

I would have to agree, great color selection choice and they remind me of my old Porsche wheel color. I also think this color would look great on a Grabber Blue color Boss, reminiscent of the old Gulf GT40's of the 60's.

Very nice aggressive look that will instill fear in the Camaro drivers that wonder "what just passed me?"

Have a fun and successful day at the Track.
Dave

Tulsa, OK

jhayes84 said:
I finally installed my custom front splitter on my 2012 GT front fascia. It's made out of ABS plastic and weighs 23lbs. I have 7 points of contact with the front of the car and the sub-frame. I like how it turned out.

18749327246_b5640a3ea6_z.jpg
https://farm1.staticflickr.com/522/18749327246_3683d162cf_o.jpg
18775629615_1d43df765b_z.jpg
https://farm1.staticflickr.com/440/18775629615_39385d0af8_o.jpg
18154949673_f0b2b013cc_z.jpg
https://farm1.staticflickr.com/427/18154949673_8fb3c80ebf_o.jpg

Wow that looks great. Any other pictures of splitter construction? Maybe some from underneath the car?

Tulsa, OK

Thanks Gary!

302 Hi Pro said:
Hi C9:

I would have to agree, great color selection choice and they remind me of my old Porsche wheel color. I also think this color would look great on a Grabber Blue color Boss, reminiscent of the old Gulf GT40's of the 60's.

Very nice aggressive look that will instill fear in the Camaro drivers that wonder "what just passed me?"

Dave

Thanks Dave. I think the orange looks great on blue, too. I took a plunge with the color on these but it turned out OK!

jhayes84 said:
I finally installed my custom front splitter on my 2012 GT front fascia. It's made out of ABS plastic and weighs 23lbs. I have 7 points of contact with the front of the car and the sub-frame. I like how it turned out.

18749327246_b5640a3ea6_z.jpg
https://farm1.staticflickr.com/522/18749327246_3683d162cf_o.jpg
18775629615_1d43df765b_z.jpg
https://farm1.staticflickr.com/440/18775629615_39385d0af8_o.jpg
18154949673_f0b2b013cc_z.jpg
https://farm1.staticflickr.com/427/18154949673_8fb3c80ebf_o.jpg

Just my opion and you know what they say about that. ::)
Your support rod should angle not out like that. You loose the support that your trying to achive. Your support rods should be straight as possiable for the strongest function. If your support rods were to long to keep them straight, you could always cut them down. I cut mine down with a tubing cutter about 3/4" on each end just so they would be straight with my new splitter. High speeds will cause alot of stress on the front of that splitter. You dont need something flying off the car at high speeds and causing damage to your car.
Otherwise you did a very nice job on making your own splitter.
But then again its your car.

roadhouse said:
Mounted my 18x10.5 Enkei PF01s with 315/680/18 Pirelli slicks square. These tires are FAT! And the wheels are bright LOL

92F4995B-E1E1-4579-A080-C085646F4B9C_zpsqhe9x0f7.jpg

E3C50A08-5BD8-40BD-B6E0-494FF21AD6E4_zpskbalhucx.jpg

I like the orange wheels. You need to now change the decals on the glass to orange to carry the color. maybe even an orange spolier an mirrors. Nice job in steeping out of the box!!

superhero said:
I like the orange wheels. You need to now change the decals on the glass to orange to carry the color. maybe even an orange spolier an mirrors. Nice job in steeping out of the box!!
I agree and Logan the wheels look terrific. I wanted to paint my Enkei's safety orange and change the color of my BMO sticker on my windshield to the same orange but my pit crew (son) vetoed me on that. ::)

roadhouse said:
Wow that looks great. Any other pictures of splitter construction? Maybe some from underneath the car?

Here are two more pictures. The first is the overall shape of it. The other shows the main five support bolts with three of them connecting to where the oil filter cover used to exist, and the front two are on the bumper itself.
18782314935_a12c82c663_z.jpg
https://farm1.staticflickr.com/368/18782314935_5d3096fc1a_o.jpg
18161633393_8776b0cdfc_z.jpg

Superhero, I originally wanted the support brackets to go straight but yes there were just too long. I talked with my brother about this and he gave me some advice on it saying that it should be ok as long as I have them snug at both mounting points. My brother worked on the new Viper ACR front splitter when they were having vibration problems around 130-150 mph and he was tasked to fix it. Needless to say he and his team fixed the problem. I think that they really stabilize the corner sections of the splitter section that doesn't have a mounting point near by. But if I notice any vibrations I might just buy a shorter set and re-mount them. If you haven't seen the new ACR splitter here I what I was referring to why I think my setup will work.
2016-dodge-viper-acr-03-1.jpg
Of course though, I'm not an engineer like my brother but he did a good job explaining things to me over the phone to get my setup close enough.

302 Hi Pro said:
Hi C9:

I would have to agree, great color selection choice and they remind me of my old Porsche wheel color. I also think this color would look great on a Grabber Blue color Boss, reminiscent of the old Gulf GT40's of the 60's
Agreed. 8)

Wingrider

'11 GT500, 99% Track Car. Lots of mods & I coach

roadhouse said:
Mounted my 18x10.5 Enkei PF01s with 315/680/18 Pirelli slicks square. These tires are FAT! And the wheels are bright LOL

Wow those look good. I didn't think you could get a 315/680/18 on 10.5's and fit up front…

Do you have offset front struts and can you post more pictures?

I bow to your traction superiority!! 8)

Finally installed my Blowfish Gen 2 shifter bracket. WOW, what a differnce. 2-3 nibble gone, totally gone. Shifts are crisp and just snap into postion.

Now just need to install the 15" GT500 front Brembos and that is it for mods, at least my wife hope so.

Also, worked on BMO member James' 2012 YB GT. Installed his Blowfish Gen 2 and Boss 302 front splitter. James' car looks great with black 2012 Boss 302 stripes, LS wheels, Boss LS coil springs, LS rear swaybar and standard Boss 302 front splitter. I will get him to post pics soon.

Tulsa, OK

Thanks all. Definitely need some orange accents now. My old roll bar was safety orange and would have been awesome with these!

Wingrider said:
Wow those look good. I didn't think you could get a 315/680/18 on 10.5's and fit up front…

Do you have offset front struts and can you post more pictures?

I bow to your traction superiority!! 8)

Ha! Nope, no offset struts. My car has H&R race springs and Koni adjustable shocks/struts. And lots of camber :)

I need to get out and take some better pictures and show front strut clearance. I'll post some up here soon.

RR2334 said:
Finally installed my Blowfish Gen 2 shifter bracket. WOW, what a differnce. 2-3 nibble gone, totally gone. Shifts are crisp and just snap into postion.

Now just need to install the 15" GT500 front Brembos and that is it for mods, at least my wife hope so.

Also, worked on BMO member James' 2012 YB GT. Installed his Blowfish Gen 2 and Boss 302 front splitter. James' car looks great with black 2012 Boss 302 stripes, LS wheels, Boss LS coil springs, LS rear swaybar and standard Boss 302 front splitter. I will get him to post pics soon.
I'm about to pull the trigger on this right now(FRPP 15"/13.8" brake kit). Goodridge is working up a set of brake lines for me to go with it. These will be dot legal/tested pre-production so I may be the first to try them out for this type of application.

steveespo said:
Changed front rotors and pads, swapped tires and did some graphics updates for Road America trip.

016754f20fa1679f7a18b2bd9b975956e4c0f8_zpszjer2pju.jpg

Need to let Gary and John see me as they come up to pass.
8) 8) 8) Looking good. Just go by me slow enough that I can get a good look at them ;D

Wingrider

'11 GT500, 99% Track Car. Lots of mods & I coach

roadhouse said:
Thanks all. Definitely need some orange accents now. My old roll bar was safety orange and would have been awesome with these!

Ha! Nope, no offset struts. My car has H&R race springs and Koni adjustable shocks/struts. And lots of camber :)

I need to get out and take some better pictures and show front strut clearance. I'll post some up here soon.

Thank you! I'lll be on the lookout.

Grant 302

basic and well known psychic

superhero said:
Just my opion and you know what they say about that. ::)
Your support rod should angle not out like that. You loose the support that your trying to achive. Your support rods should be straight as possiable for the strongest function. If your support rods were to long to keep them straight, you could always cut them down. I cut mine down with a tubing cutter about 3/4" on each end just so they would be straight with my new splitter. High speeds will cause alot of stress on the front of that splitter. You dont need something flying off the car at high speeds and causing damage to your car.
Otherwise you did a very nice job on making your own splitter.
But then again its your car.

I disagree with your assessment/concern. The stock 14" spread is too narrow for any really large splitter. Structurally, I think it's best out to the corners like on Viper pic.

TMO Supporting Vendors

Latest posts

Buy TMO Apparel

Buy TMO Apparel