The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

What did you do to your Boss 302 or S197 today?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Yeah, I'm running Magnaflow Comp catbacks. Unfortunately, spring options are limited due to using KW V3's. At this point I'm going to try and ride it out for the rest of the season and get Stainless Works to install a setup that works. The are right up the road from where I work.

ArizonaBOSS

Because racecar.
Arizona, USA
Pulled the trans (again) to install the slave spacer I forgot to put on the first time...oops. Had help from a good friend with his lift and expertise.

13754136_10101285383548064_4972105680522360546_n.jpg

Fabman

Dances with Racecars
Exp. Type
W2W Racing
Exp. Level
20+ Years
Pleasanton: 1/2 way between Sonoma and Laguna Seca
ArizonaBOSS said:
Pulled the trans (again) to install the slave spacer I forgot to put on the first time...oops. Had help from a good friend with his lift and expertise.

13754136_10101285383548064_4972105680522360546_n.jpg
dang, some people get all the fun jobs....

Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
10-20 Years
Texas
I had a steel braided clutch line (McLeod Steel Braided) installed when I changed the clutch and it leaked on me a few days after the install. Got in the car after it sat over the weekend and the pedal just went to the floor. Pulled the line and saw that the rubber o-ring was crushed and deformed. Also, there is a little bit of slack at the top of the clutch pedal travel. I'd say it's about 1/2" - 1". What I mean by this is there is 1" of free play at the top of the pedal travel. You can grab the pedal and move it up and down until there is pressure. I'm wondering if this has to do with removing the assist spring because normally the assist spring would hold it down and take this slop out? What do you guys think?

302 Hi Pro

Boss 302 - Racing Legend to Modern Muscle Car
Southeast
This is a normal condition on my clutch pedal. I just went out there to check the free play and I see that I have a good 1/2" and maybe 3/4" of free play at the very top of the clutch pedal.

I have had the V6 / GT clutch pedal assist spring removed since day 2 of ownership on my Boss so can't comment on if the free play is a result of its removal.

My set up is FRPP SS Clutch Line, OEM replacement clutch assy., dedicated clutch fluid reservoir. MGW Race Spec Gen 1 shifter.

There is no bleeder on the clutch fluid circuit so once the o-ring is repaired, you'll have to pump the clutch pedal 50 times (or so), to work the air out of the fluid circuit.

Hope this helps, and all the best,
302 Hi Pro

I got the free play in the clutch pedal after removing the helper spring.
I went with the JPC line based on a shops recommendation, because they knew JPC changed their o-ring sizes long ago, when they also had similar leakage problems on their first batch... or so i was told.

I got the graphics for my RTR panel ;D Now, to just figure out its placement haha

28376806516_095bf20361_c.jpg

F.D. Sako said:
I got the free play in the clutch pedal after removing the helper spring.
I went with the JPC line based on a shops recommendation, because they knew JPC changed their o-ring sizes long ago, when they also had similar leakage problems on their first batch... or so i was told.

That is who I went with as well, although I can't comment on the leaking part as I haven't had the chance to drive it yet.

I also have the free play after removal of the clutch pedal spring.

Those that have upgraded from plastic clutch lines, are you experiencing better feedback?

Fabman

Dances with Racecars
Exp. Type
W2W Racing
Exp. Level
20+ Years
Fresh Hoosiers and a 18mm rear sway bar....stay tuned.

12472486_10154354648438535_6420507114204113469_n.jpg

Fabman

Dances with Racecars
Exp. Type
W2W Racing
Exp. Level
20+ Years
Thought this was the "what did you do to your car today" thread.
My mistake.

Grant 302

basic and well known psychic
Fabman said:
Thought this was the "what did you do to your car today" thread.
My mistake.

You're not mistaken. I just mean that I would also follow a build thread if you started one. My other post wasn't well written. :( Sorry about that and any confusion I've caused.

Installed the 302S off road H-pipe from Watson, Lethal performance over axle pipes and a AED tune.

Shaved 36.5 lbs off the car with the exhaust. I already had Roush axlebacks, I'm willing to bet those saved another 15-20 lbs at the time I did that install. Plenty of weight to lose on the stock exhaust on this car.

Fabman

Dances with Racecars
Exp. Type
W2W Racing
Exp. Level
20+ Years
Grant 302 said:
You're not mistaken. I just mean that I would also follow a build thread if you started one. My other post wasn't well written. :( Sorry about that and any confusion I've caused.
The car is basically built, all that's left is upgrades.
Not sure that warrants a whole build thread...but if that's the right thing to do I can do it retrospectively.

Fabman

Dances with Racecars
Exp. Type
W2W Racing
Exp. Level
20+ Years
But as long as I'm already here....lol.

Today I fabbed up a quickie rear end breather tank and gave it a half ass polish job.
...because polished aluminum always looks better than raw scratched up aluminum. :)
13882692_10154357952033535_3957837908353042410_n.jpg

Yeah, that dink in the upper right hand corner is where the buffer grabbed my part and shot it across the shop. Nobody's perfect. :-\

drano38

Wayne
Today is my Boss's 5th birthday. Wow, what a great 5 years we've had together.
Gave her a wash, clay, and wax--its been a couple years since a wax, so well deserved.
Happy birthday Boss #510!

TMO Supporting Vendors