The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

What did you do to your Boss 302 or S197 today?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Took out the Boss to stretch out her legs today. Had to run some errands for the wife so I decided to take the long way there ;) For those in the east bay (CA), you likely know these roads. These were my old stomping grounds back in my motorcycle days.

I also had the chance to try out the different TC settings. First with all Nannies off (held down TC button for ~7 secs), next in sport mode, then with all nannies on. I felt like the rearend was dancing quite a bit with everything off. Maybe due to the rough roads and various elevation changes? Next, in Sport mode, it felt a bit better, but I did feel the brakes engaging on some cambered turns that had rough surface. With all nannies on, I did feel a bit more confident since the rear felt more planted to the ground, but the brakes engaging during certain turns was a bit of a nuisance...ill have to test out the different settings on smoother roads.

_DSC0093_zpszorzuepc.jpg

_DSC0082_zps4p8g6tkk.jpg

ArizonaBOSS

Because racecar.
Arizona, USA
On Saturday I deleted my stock oil-to-water cooler, installed a GT lower radiator hose, and removed the Setrab 925 oil-to-air cooler. Today I got the 948 mounted up using @Black Boss' methods and am going to fab a duct box for it this week. I made a few templates yesterday that I need to transfer to posterboard before I start cutting/bending metal.

kJmSaKF.png

QFsHwjM.png

Unfortunately I am feeling lazy tonight, so I will not be cutting new -10AN lines to feed the cooler due to the new routing necessitated w/ this new setup. That will come later this week :)

ArizonaBOSS

Because racecar.
Arizona, USA
CrossBoss said:
Have you considered the WR radiator box?

My car is a 2012, so unfortunately that is not really an option. I am going to do a couple modifications to the existing plastic/rubber radiator side-shrouding (again, similar to @Black Boss' work) to more effectively channel air to the radiator at speed.

Also this is a fun little fab project :) My actual fabricator buddy (that did @captdistraction's cage) let me borrow a small metal brake so I can bend all the forms as-needed. This is pretty low-level stuff but it's interesting.

Fabman

Dances with Racecars
Exp. Type
W2W Racing
Exp. Level
20+ Years
Pleasanton: 1/2 way between Sonoma and Laguna Seca
ArizonaBOSS said:
My car is a 2012, so unfortunately that is not really an option. I am going to do a couple modifications to the existing plastic/rubber radiator side-shrouding (again, similar to @Black Boss' work) to more effectively channel air to the radiator at speed.

Also this is a fun little fab project :) My actual fabricator buddy (that did @captdistraction's cage) let me borrow a small metal brake so I can bend all the forms as-needed. This is pretty low-level stuff but it's interesting.
Nothing more satisfying than doing it yourself. :)

ArizonaBOSS said:

I apologize for oversight. I forgot when I bought it for my car it is 13/14 only. I saw your car apart and thought it would be a wonderful addition while you have the front off.

ArizonaBOSS said:
No need for apology, it's a great suggestion. I'd have done that and "taken the easy way out" if it were an option.

I was talking to Filip from Cortex about this type of mod. I had the Watson kit installed on my 2013 in addition to the FRPP air to air oil cooler. I was surprised at how noticeable the difference it made. Filip told me that it's worth a solid 20F drop in oil temps......

By the way, your oil cooler can beat up everyone else's.....

Cobrarob said:
Test fit MM rollbar and cut rear panels yesterday. Tomoro have it welded then drop off to
get powdercoated. Hopefully get back by Friday and installed by weekend
image.jpg1_30.jpg
image.jpg2_19.jpg

Looking good! Any particular reason why you decided on an MM setup rather than a Watson? Trust me, I love MM products, just wondering because most people seem to be running the Watson setup in their Boss/GT350.

cobrarob

11 Shelby GT500
new york
Sydewaysix said:
Looking good! Any particular reason why you decided on an MM setup rather than a Watson? Trust me, I love MM products, just wondering because most people seem to be running the Watson setup in their Boss/GT350.
[/quote

Thanks.
They're all beautiful bars,guess it just came down to the guys I was dealing with. Vorshlag runs it in their car
and like their design,and I've been dealing with Sam Strano for the last couple years and also likes the MM product.Pretty easy install,everything lined up good. Guess the welding of the rear bars is an extra step but
all good.

Sydewaysix said:

Most people run the Watson because they think it's much easier to install. The reality is that it's a little easier to install.

I, and most shops with engineers prefer the Maximum Motorsport setup because it mounts to the chassis in such a way that the bar is better supported. The front mounts are very nice. The MM bar is pushed out a little more, which give you a little more protection. FWIW, we were going to make our own rollbars. And I started looking to see what issues people had, so I could correct them in our design. After looking at the MM pieces I realized that it would be difficult, and much more expensive to build a better rollbar than what they offered, so we have been using their bars in many of the cars we do. We still build cages from scratch, and some rollbars for other models, but for the Mustangs, the MM bar is what we choose.

BigTaco said:
I was talking to Filip from Cortex about this type of mod. I had the Watson kit installed on my 2013 in addition to the FRPP air to air oil cooler. I was surprised at how noticeable the difference it made. Filip told me that it's worth a solid 20F drop in oil temps......

By the way, your oil cooler can beat up everyone else's.....

I'm going with a 934. BTW they make a fan assembly for the 948 & 634.

7500RPM_Ben

TMO Clueless
I bought 9 quarts of Motorcraft Full Synthetic 5w-50 and an FL500-S oil filter. I put 1000 miles on her in two days and a couple hundred in a week and a half, when I bought her I knew an oil change was due just about. My next oil change may consist of different oil from reading what people say on forums.

Been slowly doing some upkeep on the Boss the last few days. I dropped in a K&N air filter on Saturday and finally lifted the car up for the first time today. After discussing with @BigTaco, I ended up doing an oil change using Driven FR50 5w-50 motor oil and the recommended Motorcraft oil filter, FL500-S. Thanks again Ron for the tip on the oil and filters ;)

Being that this was the first time I put the car in the air, I was pleasantly greeted by a Laguna Seca transmission cooling scoop! I was unaware that the car had this when I bought it. The previous owner did not mention anything about it, nor was I given any receipts or paperwork for it. I can't complain - I love good surprises like this ;D

4535B871-264B-4D28-8622-B4F35E398982_zpsadgk5twx.jpg

7500RPM_Ben

TMO Clueless
Sydewaysix said:
Been slowly doing some upkeep on the Boss the last few days. I dropped in a K&N air filter on Saturday and finally lifted the car up for the first time today. After discussing with @BigTaco, I ended up doing an oil change using Driven FR50 5w-50 motor oil and the recommended Motorcraft oil filter, FL500-S. Thanks again Ron for the tip on the oil and filters ;)

Being that this was the first time I put the car in the air, I was pleasantly greeted by a Laguna Seca transmission cooling scoop! I was unaware that the car had this when I bought it. The previous owner did not mention anything about it, nor was I given any receipts or paperwork for it. I can't complain - I love good surprises like this ;D

4535B871-264B-4D28-8622-B4F35E398982_zpsadgk5twx.jpg

I looked into the Driven oil, would it void warranty if something were to happen? I picked up Ford Motorcraft Full Synthetic 5w-50 for my first oil change.

7500RPM_Ben said:
I looked into the Driven oil, would it void warranty if something were to happen? I picked up Ford Motorcraft Full Synthetic 5w-50 for my first oil change.

Honestly, I'm not sure whether the oil will affect warranty or not. Many people run Mobile 1 which is not the factory recommended oil either. Maybe @VoodooBOSS can chime in about his experience getting his motor replaced under warranty.

One other thing I did today. I received my Boss 302 Registry certificate and decal in the mail and slapped it on the car after she got washed. I haven't seen a thread on TMO regarding this registry, but I believe it just recently opened up sometime in August. For all the current BOSS 302 owners, I'd recommend registering your car! Even if you decide to sell it later down the line, your name will always be tied to the car which makes for good history/traceability for future owners :)

One thing I don't care too much for is that the decal has your registry number (#0065), whereas I think it would be better if it had the Boss ID # instead. Oh well! :p

1410E578-852C-49CC-BE07-ED7AAB3FC2C0_zpsrxerbrqe.jpg

59802E7E-2B0F-4C77-8922-94966626FE99_zps6kclgpzk.jpg

TMO Supporting Vendors

Latest posts

Buy TMO Apparel

Buy TMO Apparel