The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

What did you do to your Boss 302 or S197 today?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Fabman

Dances with Racecars
Exp. Type
W2W Racing
Exp. Level
20+ Years
Pleasanton: 1/2 way between Sonoma and Laguna Seca
What did you do to your Boss 302 or S197 today?

I flogged it. ;)

GBMA2549 - Copy.JPG

Fabman

Dances with Racecars
Exp. Type
W2W Racing
Exp. Level
20+ Years
@Fabman did everything feel right this time???
Much better...I just went back to my old settings but left the 600's in and it was fine.
Not perfect, but fine. Good enough to finally get some seat time. The brakes worked excellent for once. Didn't really know what to do with all that stopping power.
Didn't crash, nothing broke and I drove it in the trailer. Winning! :D

Fabman

Dances with Racecars
Exp. Type
W2W Racing
Exp. Level
20+ Years
Of course, no track day is complete without a talking to about aggressive driving...

@Fabman I forgot to ask you about the brakes. Sounds like they worked very well. Glad to hear you can move onto other mods and you were flying out there. The other car is @FR500S-44, Cliff.

Fabman

Dances with Racecars
Exp. Type
W2W Racing
Exp. Level
20+ Years
Fabman

Great to hear she held up.

Curious. Where you giving the Talk on aggressive driving??
Funny.
Alec in the white BMW and I were blowing through traffic and apparently somebody didn’t like it. Seems some folks situational awareness isn’t sufficient enough to keep them from cutting down on a car that is right next to them or squeezing them off the track . Then they cry to the steward and the steward has to remind me that even though it’s open passing, some guys aren’t mentally ready for someone to blow by when they least expect it. I guess they don’t teach watching your mirrors in wanna be race car school. Fortunately this time around I didn’t have to say much as Alec who is a very fast and experienced road racer and open tracker (runs 1:36’s) did most of the talking and it was determined that some folks just don’t belong in that class but register for it anyway. There were several cars that we lapped over and over and over. It was nice hearing someone else state the case without me having to say a word for a change. I just have to remember that HPDE is like going back to hobby stocks where some guys just don’t know wtf they are doing and will run you over and then blame you for it. I’ve only received the talk twice personally but have witnessed it in videos and in forums and it just blows me away how someone on the extreme right side of the track can cut across 20 feet of asphalt and nail a guy who is all the way against the left berm and then blame him for it. SMH. Amateurs.

Last edited:

Fabman

Dances with Racecars
Exp. Type
W2W Racing
Exp. Level
20+ Years
@Fabman I forgot to ask you about the brakes. Sounds like they worked very well. Glad to hear you can move onto other mods and you were flying out there. The other car is @FR500S-44, Cliff.

Brakes worked flawlessly. My son looked at the pads on the right front and said they still looked good so that’s something I haven’t experienced before. I’ll tear everything apart and do a complete inspection this coming week and see what we see.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Fabman

Dances with Racecars
Exp. Type
W2W Racing
Exp. Level
20+ Years
Fabman, you need to keep a supply of diapers handy for the next whiner you might encounter....it's not their fault they need changing......I hope............:rolleyes:

Well, when in Rome do as the romans do, I need to remember not everyone has the same level of experience. I’ve been really careful and stayed out of trouble but like I said, every time I see this topic in a post or video I take it personally.

Fabman

Dances with Racecars
Exp. Type
W2W Racing
Exp. Level
20+ Years
When I'm in Rome if I ever get there, I'll be looking for a good pizza joint..;)

I have a feeling when you get to Rome you won’t have to look far.

I may just stay here. "They" say New Haven pizza ( A pizza stone away from me) is the best you can find. Others may argue but Pepe's, Sally's and Modern can't be beat ( all coal or wood fired ovens..no electric!)...........I'm getting hungry............

Fabman

Dances with Racecars
Exp. Type
W2W Racing
Exp. Level
20+ Years
Fabman, you are in one piece and you are right. Ignore the drama and be proud of putting that white b___h together...glad you have good brakes and went fast! Nice!

PS. Who gets mad at faster cars?
I have a saying:
A lifetime in racing and business has taught me this:
There will always be those who find fault in your success.
To hell with them.
~Sal Molinare

TMO Supporting Vendors