The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

What did you do to your Boss 302 or S197 today?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Just went a little crazy on black friday car parts:

-Personal trophy, black alcantera, red stitch steering wheel.
-Works Bell rapfix II black quick release.
-Works Bell rapfix II quick release flipper.
-MOMO s197 steering wheel hub.

Eyeballing a driveshaft shop aluminum driveshaft for $647 shipped, and an exedy hyper single clutch w/ARP flywheel bolts for $1,050...waiting for friday to get the deals.

TymeSlayer

Tramps like us, Baby we were born to run...
Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
3-5 Years
Brighton, Colorado
It had been on a tender for three weeks and died while being serviced. Tried a quick start charged but nothing but clicking. Tried jump starting with the F-150 and nothing. Braille is looking better every day. Maybe find a black Friday sale somewhere.

As I mentioned before the OEM battery in my Crown Vic was over 7 yrs old and still going strong. I replaced it out of guilt..thinking I was on borrowed tyme....I'm starting to think a garage kept car's battery will last longer than one kept outside, especially in a winter environment....or maybe I've been extremely lucky & Blessed?...Never playing the radio may have also helped....:D

Grant 302

basic and well known psychic
FakeR was sloooow to crank this morning. I guess just 7 years on this battery. On one of the plug-in chargers now. I'll check the cells with the hydrometer this afternoon.

Grant 302

Readings and electrolyte levels were all over the place. Luckily, most higher/normal readings came from the low electrolyte cells and nothing was reading in the 'red' with lowest at ~1.22. Should take a charge okay overnight on the 1.1A charger (as opposed to the other one at 7.2A). I guess I've been a little lax on battery maintenance this summer. I'll check again in a day or two and see if everything looks closer to normal for all six cells.

Also did more wet sanding on the passenger side upper surfaces.

TMSBOSS

Spending my pension on car parts and track fees.
Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
10-20 Years
Illinois
Battery in my Boss lasted just over 5 years. Battery Maintenance? Yeah, not so good.
My previous experience with Ford batteries was fantastic. I swapped out the two batteries on my 2003 F-250 diesel after 10 years. Nothing wrong with them, cranked strong even below zero. Just was not comfortable leaving a vehicle for the wife to drive with 10 year old batteries.

End of season oil/filter change last weekend (11 qts of M1 5w-50). Last drive of season today. Poured in Stabil & topped off fuel tank on way home, pulled in garage & parked it, hooked up batt tender, aired up tires to 44 psi, tossed some desiccant inside, sealed it up for the long winter's nap.

JDee

Ancient Racer
Exp. Type
W2W Racing
Exp. Level
20+ Years
5 miles from Mosport
End of season oil/filter change last weekend (11 qts of M1 5w-50). Last drive of season today. Poured in Stabil & topped off fuel tank on way home, pulled in garage & parked it, hooked up batt tender, aired up tires to 44 psi, tossed some desiccant inside, sealed it up for the long winter's nap.

That's pretty much my routine with the addition of a car cover. But this year I got some ultrasonic pest repellent units, have had continual problems with spiders in the light fixtures crapping on the car, and the odd mouse. Plugged these units in two months ago and within a week or two the spiders had vacated the premises. No sign of any rodents either. Fingers crossed this will continue to work, cheap fix to an annoying problem.

Grant 302

Adding distilled water to the cells is about all you do on the inside. Keeping the outside clean, posts and clamps clean and tight. A light coat of an anti-corrosion spray on the terminals can also be helpful

That's about it for most normal people! ;)

We all know I don't meet *those* specs. :D Some of us just gotta tinker...even with stuff that ain't broken.

Bad news on my battery is that after a round of charging and driving the car yesterday, after leaving the car to sit 24.2 hours, the voltage was only 12.31V. Certainly not good and maybe the two weakest cells can't be brought up to the others. 'Cycling' the battery now starting with a discharge using lights and fans to take town to 11.5V under load (about 12.0V after rest). And now recharging using the 7.2A charger set to cold/AGM to 'push' it a little harder using slightly higher voltage charge algorithms. As long as it doesn't 'top off' too fast (indicating more of a surface charge), I'll try to float it from there and hopefully equalize the charge between cells.

Fabman

Dances with Racecars
Exp. Type
W2W Racing
Exp. Level
20+ Years
Pleasanton: 1/2 way between Sonoma and Laguna Seca
Flogged mine again at Laguna Seca.
Unfortunately while I was able to match my 1.39 from last time out, I was unable to better it. Something has to change, so I'm going back to my original 500# front spring setup.
I know others have been able to run 600's or even 800's but so far it just isn't working out for me. Hopefully this is the magic bullet and I can get my previously neutral handling car back to where it was before...only faster. Stay tuned. o_O

Fabman

Dances with Racecars
Exp. Type
W2W Racing
Exp. Level
20+ Years
Pleasanton: 1/2 way between Sonoma and Laguna Seca
Fabman, once you get that car dialed in like you want it, you're gonna be a happy camper & so will your car!
Yeah, I'm just a little frustrated that I was going 1.44 and it handled perfect, now I'm going 5 full seconds faster and handles like poop. That's just wrong. There's a lot more speed on the table here if I can just get there. I wish I had more time to test, but I only got 3 sessions and while I made changes every session, I'm limited to what I can accomplish at the track in a short time frame and none of them made the car any faster. Time for a front spring change.

Grant 302

That's about it for most normal people! ;)

We all know I don't meet *those* specs. :D Some of us just gotta tinker...even with stuff that ain't broken.

Bad news on my battery is that after a round of charging and driving the car yesterday, after leaving the car to sit 24.2 hours, the voltage was only 12.31V. Certainly not good and maybe the two weakest cells can't be brought up to the others. 'Cycling' the battery now starting with a discharge using lights and fans to take town to 11.5V under load (about 12.0V after rest). And now recharging using the 7.2A charger set to cold/AGM to 'push' it a little harder using slightly higher voltage charge algorithms. As long as it doesn't 'top off' too fast (indicating more of a surface charge), I'll try to float it from there and hopefully equalize the charge between cells.

Seems like the effort to equalize the cells and cycling the battery are working. Nearly 24 hours later and it's still taking a float charge of 1.65A at ~13.2V. I'll probably have to take hydrometer readings again later today and again tomorrow to see if anything is actually better.

TMO Supporting Vendors

Buy TMO Apparel

Buy TMO Apparel