The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

What did you do to your Boss 302 or S197 today?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TymeSlayer

Tramps like us, Baby we were born to run...
Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
3-5 Years
Brighton, Colorado
Barely pulled 8.4 volts from the old BXT-96R-500. She was dying a slow death. She's gone now but I decided the new OEM BXT-96R-590 in for now. Cost was certainly a consideration since I just bought a new F-150 and I'm trailer shopping. That and the fact the wife decided she wants some Louis Vuitton purse that cost more than four of those Braille Battery set-ups. And before you make the suggestion... She can tell the difference between a fake, even a great one.

Fabman

Dances with Racecars
Exp. Type
W2W Racing
Exp. Level
20+ Years
Pleasanton: 1/2 way between Sonoma and Laguna Seca

ArizonaBOSS

Because racecar.
Arizona, USA
Picked up the car from the Ford paintshop! Feels and looks great! Glad to have the car back, now to put the stickers back on and get back to the track before I freak out.
ALRIIIIGHT! Congrats!

Grant 302

basic and well known psychic
Congrats on getting the car back Hatter!

Cycling on the FakeR battery did nothing and the second 24 hour test just got to the same 12.31V :rolleyes: checked the electrolyte and there was little to no improvement on the two weakest cells at 1.225. While possible to stretch life out a little longer, it's not worth the worry.

Braille B2015 on the way. Second guessing that decision a bit and maybe the B3121 would have been smarter. We'll see.

Grant 302

I have a 2015 Grant. Rock solid.

Thanks for the confirmation! I was even considering the B14115...but I know there are people who found it was not enough capacity even for smaller engines. I figured I should be fine since I would keep it topped off with solar charger(s) or the plug in maintainer when I'm not using it often.

302 Hi Pro

Boss 302 - Racing Legend to Modern Muscle Car
Southeast
Miller Ford replaced the airbag & serviced the Boss. They tested the antifreee & checks ok with test strips, but I’m thinking about flushing the cooling system using OEM fluids.

Detailed engine compartment, clay-bar, DA polish, & glaze.

Next up, remove wheels & full suspension inspection. Prep for changes.

302 Hi Pro

Southeast
Rear suspension inspection required a drop of the rear differential housing. I found 2 wornout Hein Joints, one joint, (very worn) at L/S LCA body mount end, and the other was found at the R/Side of the adjustable KB Panhard Bar.

To my surprise the Steeda adjustable UCA was in excellent condition as well as the Top Differential Housing bushing. (Each with less than 10k in-service miles.)

Replaced both LCA’s with HD adjustable helm joint units and replaced the rear T-Springs with Steeda Boss 302 specific springs. (Note: This change gave me about 0.5” additional ride height clearance.) I spent a lot of time measuring and adjusting the rear axle placement & pinion angle.

Next upgrade will be installation of my Cortex watts Link & a 18mm RSB.

Will continue testing & report on Spring compatibility and handling once weather allows for more Boss time.

Rear suspension inspection required a drop of the rear differential housing. I found 2 wornout Hein Joints, one joint, (very worn) at L/S LCA body mount end, and the other was found at the R/Side of the adjustable KB Panhard Bar.
With the worn Hein joints. Did you have any clunking or noise coming from them?
What do you think caused the wear to happen so fast. Defect or Hole shots :eek:. Just kidding!
What LCA's are you using?

Last edited by a moderator:
Brake ducts, front tow eye, replaced a stripped stud plate on one of the camber plates and new brake pads. I also made up two aluminum panels to cover the front half of the wheel well opening by the suspension instead of cutting the stock plastic part to make room for the left duct. There wasn't one on the right side, so either it didn't have one or a brake/tire shop guy neglected to replace it. I don't think it matters either way, but it was easy and decent practice before I pull the front off again to box the radiator.

302 Hi Pro

Southeast
With the worn Hein joints. Did you have any clunking or noise coming from them?
What do you think caused the wear to happen so fast. Defect or Hole shots :eek:. Just kidding!
What LCA's are you using?

Yes, there were clunks, example: cruising in 3rd gear @ 2,250 rpm with throttle on/off. Then a small noise, (just started) on light body roll.

The LCA joint failed quickly given how little I drove the Boss this year (about 2K). But I installed the KB rear suspension abouk 20k ago, in early 2013 when the T-Springs were first released. So in all fairness, the KB bits did not disappoint. It’s actually a good Mustang setup.

As for the LCA’s I don’t recall the mfg. as I purchased them several years ago from a Forum Member, but they are HD Race spec units. They also make rear axle housing alignment a very easy task.

Testing the Boss this morning was very pleasurable as the Boss hooks up very well during hole shots. (Well, since you asked, I did have to test it right?). Hahaha

Removed the Boss302 H and side pipes. Put on my Bassani X-pipe I took off when I put the Torque arm on. It didn't give enough clearance with the stock cat back exhaust. So I added a MBRP Stainless Steel Race Series Cat-Back Exhaust. Very mean growl !

302 Hi Pro

Southeast
Well I thought that I was going to make a quick adjustment on the front LS Splitter, but no, I was denied!

Found my $398 set of FP Splitter support Rods seized up! Soaking now with penetrating oil.

I think for that kind of money, FP should have used good steel.

Part Deux, Swapped out the Eibach 36mm front sway bar for a Strano 35mm. The Strano is heavier and thicker than the Eibach. The mounting tab is much thicker at the end link. Strano has Hellwig make the sway bars to his spec, so they are not the same as the one Hellwig sells themselves . 250 wall tubing is used. Im guessing Eibach used a thinner steel. The Eibach was binding up, so it didn't move freely. The Strano bar falls over its self, no bind whats so ever. The test drive I also felt the difference, Less body roll and more control on my test corners In Mexico with out giving up front grip. Happy Camper!

Grant 302

^Smart move. That's the only front bar I'd consider upgrading to, as it's one of the few that are an actual upgrade from stock Boss/GT '11+. The rates on the Eibach are good if you need to go softer than stock.

TMO Supporting Vendors

Latest posts

Buy TMO Apparel

Buy TMO Apparel