The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

What did you do to your Boss 302 or S197 today?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

drano38

Wayne
Good ideas, but. Try not to swap fluids. If you use it for gear oil stay with gear oil. Cross contamination can be brutal. I will be buying a few HD specials, tube and fittings soon.
TS and I had a lovely time putting gear oil in the diff of my Boss at the round up last year. Don't want to repeat that.

Good thing my pic had the label showing. $9 beats $40! Just make sure the big hose diameter goes to the bottom of the jug. Most lawn sprayers have ~1/16" tube inside the tank.
I do clean mine out good with a splash of aviation fuel and a squirt of brake cleaner, then upside down to dry. Then its ready for the other fluid. But for $9, I can have another one.

TymeSlayer

Tramps like us, Baby we were born to run...
Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
3-5 Years
Brighton, Colorado
Sometymes the most obvious solution is right there in front of me but I just don't see it.

I'm gonna try this Carbyne syringe I have used for removing excess fluid from the brake bleeding. I'll just attach a longer hose to reach the differential port. I'll clean it out like drano38 did and although i'll have to refill it, it should be better that my old way.

61j-hoClsKL._SL1500_.jpg

TymeSlayer

Tramps like us, Baby we were born to run...
Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
3-5 Years
Brighton, Colorado
file-4.jpeg Excellent choice. I went with what I had and it worked fine except it could only handle a little over a quart at a tyme. Nonetheless, it worked just fine.

Attachments

• file-4.jpeg
    file-4.jpeg
    786.3 KB · Views: 85

Fabman

Dances with Racecars
Exp. Type
W2W Racing
Exp. Level
20+ Years
Pleasanton: 1/2 way between Sonoma and Laguna Seca

Fabman

Dances with Racecars
Exp. Type
W2W Racing
Exp. Level
20+ Years

Fabman

Dances with Racecars
Exp. Type
W2W Racing
Exp. Level
20+ Years
Damn. Sorry to see that.

Rebuild plans?
Currently mulling over my options.
So, how much does a pint of blood go for these days....anybody know?
On the up side, the camera angle was perfect.

TMSBOSS

Spending my pension on car parts and track fees.
Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
10-20 Years
Illinois
This will be a hard call. If the top end is good, valves still point the same direction as before the smoke screen. You may get away with a new bottom end. The power you were making is hard to walk away from.
Swapping in a coyote sounds exciting. Until you figure in the new fuel system, electrical system, ECU etc.
I usually wait for the hangover to subside and then figure out the next step.
Good luck.
Blood by the pint? Depending upon the type, is about the same as Motorcraft full synthetic at full retail.

Fabman

Dances with Racecars
Exp. Type
W2W Racing
Exp. Level
20+ Years
This will be a hard call. If the top end is good, valves still point the same direction as before the smoke screen. You may get away with a new bottom end. The power you were making is hard to walk away from.
Swapping in a coyote sounds exciting. Until you figure in the new fuel system, electrical system, ECU etc.
I usually wait for the hangover to subside and then figure out the next step.
Good luck.
Blood by the pint? Depending upon the type, is about the same as Motorcraft full synthetic at full retail.
Hangover currently subsiding....stay tuned.

Fabman

Dances with Racecars
Exp. Type
W2W Racing
Exp. Level
20+ Years

Bill Pemberton

0ld Ford Automotive Racing Terror
Exp. Type
Time Attack
Exp. Level
20+ Years
Blair, Nebraska
From one White Stang to another, I feel your pain. Had the same thing happen years back with a different car, and with the replacement motor came back even faster! Know you will do the same , as you have the passion , the sickness, the love of the track like so many of us do!!

Fabman

Dances with Racecars
Exp. Type
W2W Racing
Exp. Level
20+ Years
From one White Stang to another, I feel your pain. Had the same thing happen years back with a different car, and with the replacement motor came back even faster! Know you will do the same , as you have the passion , the sickness, the love of the track like so many of us do!!
Yap....unfortunately I don't have the budget for it at the moment, so it's going to have to be cheap or its going to sit. :(

TMO Supporting Vendors