The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

What did you do to your Boss 302 or S197 today?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

I just got back for my first try at the Big Bend Open Road Race. It is a pretty cool event. It is near Big Bend national park. Other than the unlimited class it is a high speed TSD rally. It has tremendous community support. I have never been in a parade before, we there candy to literally hundreds of kids. It is put on by locals and gives a lot to local charities. www.bborr.com
Next year, a faster class, a navigator, & my old calculator.

carver

breaker of wrenches
ontario
Well ...I'm probably goin to get some haters for this one. So today I removed the side pipes on the Boss to see what was in there.The restricter plate had a small hole ( 1/4 inch ) so I figured it wasn't doing much. I fabricated a couple of cover plates and did a side exhaust delete. Took the side pipes off. All try it for a bit and see if there is any change in performance. I also have to mention that the previous owner put some Ford Racing mufflers on ...and it is still loud!!! :rolleyes:

That's crazytalk, carver!! Ban him, Rick!!! Sidepipes 4EVUR!!!

In all seriousness, I love the sound of my sidepipes wide open. I have used them with GT500 mufflers (sounded great), FRPP/Borla Tourings (sounded even better), and now Borla S-Types (PURFEK!!). The sidepipes are one of the car's signature features so I love them. With the right axlebacks (all 3 that I have used), there is zero drone at any revs and the exhaust is not bothersome even on long trips at high speeds.

What FRPP mufflers are on it after all?

By the way, good to see you are over here from the FoRS forum!

John

carver

breaker of wrenches
ontario
That's crazytalk, carver!! Ban him, Rick!!! Sidepipes 4EVUR!!!

In all seriousness, I love the sound of my sidepipes wide open. I have used them with GT500 mufflers (sounded great), FRPP/Borla Tourings (sounded even better), and now Borla S-Types (PURFEK!!). The sidepipes are one of the car's signature features so I love them. With the right axlebacks (all 3 that I have used), there is zero drone at any revs and the exhaust is not bothersome even on long trips at high speeds.

What FRPP mufflers are on it after all?

By the way, good to see you are over here from the FoRS forum!

John

I think they are the FRPP/Borla Tourings but not sure yet. they have "Ford Racing" stamped on top of each tip . They do sound great!!

Don't ban me yet...I'm just gettin started!!!

Haha welcome aboard!

You really owe it to yourself to try the sidepipes with the discs that VoodooBoss sells or with the pipes wide open. The car sounds so great.

carver

breaker of wrenches
ontario
Haha welcome aboard!

You really owe it to yourself to try the sidepipes with the discs that VoodooBoss sells or with the pipes wide open. The car sounds so great.

Thanks , You still have the RS ?

I was at the mall on Monday and when I fired up the Boss some dudes car alarm went off ...
I'm pretty sure that it was me that triggered it!!! Yikes , I don't think I want it any louder!!

Honestly opening the side pipes doesn't make the car any louder - the noise coming out of the sidepipes takes some of the volume away from the rear exhaust. At least that's how my delusional mind works!

Yes still have my RS. I love rowdy, crazy cars and the RS and Boss are both lunatics!

TymeSlayer

Tramps like us, Baby we were born to run...
Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
3-5 Years
Brighton, Colorado
I'm in for the ban too! ;)

I can't count how many tymes I've bottomed out on my Kooks Boss 302 side pipes and have had to re-tighten the bolts that hold them on to stop the rattle. Whereas the OEM ones were a bit harder to spot, people DO notice the Kooks. With the cutouts wide open and no baffles, I can't hear the rear anyway. :D

I love the way those Kooks sidepipes look but I have always wondered if they scrape. You have answered my question, Tyme!

While not the most exciting. I pulled the transmission (on my own on jack stands), and got the pilot out, and the new one installed. New Spec Billet Flywheel mounted/torqued. Also got the upper control arm, and mount in. Also installed a separate reservoir for the clutch fluid. Will wait a while for the blue loctite to setup on the flywheel bolts, and then put on the new Slave/TOB, then proceed to mount the clutch. And then reinstall the tranny(yay).

SZDdqKI.jpg

qitwNg0.jpg

gq2eJuf.jpg

o643w9Q.jpg

0BZc1AC.jpg

FbJuq5N.jpg

I'm in for the ban too! ;)

I can't count how many tymes I've bottomed out on my Kooks Boss 302 side pipes and have had to re-tighten the bolts that hold them on to stop the rattle. Whereas the OEM ones were a bit harder to spot, people DO notice the Kooks. With the cutouts wide open and no baffles, I can't hear the rear anyway. :D
Different subject: Do you run a full long tube Kooks system? Did you dyno it back to back?

TymeSlayer

Tramps like us, Baby we were born to run...
Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
3-5 Years
Brighton, Colorado
Different subject: Do you run a full long tube Kooks system? Did you dyno it back to back?

I have Kook shorties and sides, Borla O/As and ATAKs and MRT H-pipe. The only OEM part left in the exhaust are the Cats. I do have a couple of dyno's but not before and after. Too many mods for any clear comparison.

After a very long hibernation handling some medical issues. I got "The biznitch" as the wife calls her all cleaned up tore up a few back roads, hit a car show and took the better half out on the town this last weekend. While she is almost 8 years old (7/2011 build) it still does it for me and so glad I didn't upgrade when I had the chance.

MM

b302 5.jpgConcorso Pic Boss 302.jpg

Attachments

• b302 4.jpg
    6.2 MB · Views: 102

TMO Supporting Vendors