The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

What did you do to your Boss 302 or S197 today?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Re: What did you do to your boss today?

Washed and put away for the winter. Really extended the driving season in Massachusetts. Summer tires were not happy so it is time to store.

Tip for washing....open the trunk when drying...lots of water stays in the drains

Looking for a tip. I have garage space, but that means scrapping the daily driver each morning. I have the BOSS cover. Sacrilege, I know, but how does a covered car fare in outdoor winter storage? I know garage is best, but is it night and day or just preferred?

My wife wants the garage back for the same reason. Lucky for me ( sort of ) she doesn't have a job. I say get some deicer for the DD and keep the boss inside. At least you can still admire it or listen to that awesome stereo system. :)

600 miles after installing my JLT oil separator, I decided to check the can. Was surprised to see so much oil only after 600 miles. Should I be concerned or is this common for the 5.0?

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Boss1601 said:
Washed and put away for the winter. Really extended the driving season in Massachusetts. Summer tires were not happy so it is time to store.

Tip for washing....open the trunk when drying...lots of water stays in the drains

Looking for a tip. I have garage space, but that means scrapping the daily driver each morning. I have the BOSS cover. Sacrilege, I know, but how does a covered car fare in outdoor winter storage? I know garage is best, but is it night and day or just preferred?

I used to keep my Cobra outside and covered over the winter, before I had a garage. I never had an issue, but I made sure I had the best outdoor cover I could find.

Yesterday morning I drove around with my windows rolled down. In was 42 degrees outside. ;D

NFSBOSS said:
Yesterday morning I drove around with my windows rolled down. In was 42 degrees outside. ;D
Driving home from Green Bay this afternoon it was sunny and 7. I wasn't driving the Boss and the windows weren't down ; D

Sesshomurai

Dyno tuned it. See Technical forum for details...

drano38

Wayne

cloud9 said:
Driving home from Green Bay this afternoon it was sunny and 7. I wasn't driving the Boss and the windows weren't down ; D

-8 F this morning when I went out to blow the knee-deep snow off the driveway. Luckily the Deere garden tractor with heated cab and snow blower made it a 1/2 hr job compared to 2+ hours with the walk behind blower from previous years.

Back on topic, I looked at the Boss as I got in the Deere sitting beside it, remembering how much fun all of those track days were last summer.

Ordered new wheels from forgestar 18x9.5 and 18x11. I'm thinking of nitto NT01 for some track day rubber. Any one have some recommendations?

http://www.forgestar.com/v2/wheelscf5.php

I ordered some suspension components.
Ford Racing P Springs
Ford Racing Adjustable Panhard Bar w/ Urethane Bushing
Ford Racing Rear Lower Control Arms With Urethane Bushings Kit
Ford Racing Boss 302S Lower Control Arm Relocation Brackets
Ford Racing Jounce Bumper Kit
Eibach Pro-Alignment Camber Adjustment Bolts

Basically copied several of you guys. I just hope I'm satisfied with the drop and handling.

colticus said:
Ford Racing P Springs

Basically copied several of you guys. I just hope I'm satisfied with the drop and handling.
Cool let us know what you think when it's done!

Ordered Kooks 1-7/8" Swaintech ceramic coated LT headers, O/R H-pipe with side pipe delete and a tune from VMP. Also ordered Prothane Urethane motor mounts from LMR.

I just ordered steeda motor mounts and should be able to put them on next week. The stock ones were leaking fluid by ~5000 miles and there was an increasing amount of slop in the engine response. Hard to think that engine mounts as maintenance items since I never worried about them before. I don't think these mounts are designed to withstand "aggressive" driving. Hopefully they will help with 2-3 missed gearshift. Another benefit of the mounts is that you can lower the height of the engine 0"-3/4" so if you lower the engine 1/2" you can lower the center of gravity a tenth of an inch for the front. Every little bit helps.

loco pantelonez said:
I just ordered steeda motor mounts and should be able to put them on next week. The stock ones were leaking fluid by ~5000 miles and there was an increasing amount of slop in the engine response. Hard to think that engine mounts as maintenance items since I never worried about them before. I don't think these mounts are designed to withstand "aggressive" driving. Hopefully they will help with 2-3 missed gearshift. Another benefit of the mounts is that you can lower the height of the engine 0"-3/4" so if you lower the engine 1/2" you can lower the center of gravity a tenth of an inch for the front. Every little bit helps.
That's my hope as well on the occasional 3-4 and 4-5 issues I have had on track. Would be nice if that's the case as it might help solve the shifting issues.

I was amazed, on my last track car, after changing engine / tranny mounts to something stiffer, how much better the shifting was...AND, how much more direct and communicative the car was on turn-in. it made a huge difference there.

colticus said:
Ford Racing P Springs

No camber plates? ???

fuhrius said:
I was amazed, on my last track car, after changing engine / tranny mounts to something stiffer, how much better the shifting was...AND, how much more direct and communicative the car was on turn-in. it made a huge difference there.
Good to hear. This is the first car where I've done this so am anxious to see how it feels. I have a sense it's going to feel a lot like racecar ;D

TMSBOSS said:
Fuhrius

Any change in noise and or vibration with the stiffer mounts?
A friend of mine installed these on his 2011 Mustang GT and said no additional noise, but you can feel more vibration in the steering wheel at idle.

TMO Supporting Vendors