The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

What did you do to your Boss 302 or S197 today?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Exp. Level
10-20 Years
Michigan
Re: What did you do to your boss today?

Got the car back from the shop with a new Trans and Slave earlier this week following the clutch failure that took out the Trans :mad:. Today, adjusted toe, washed it and loaded up for a day and a half at Grattan, and then Monday at Road America. :)

Black Boss said:
Got the car back from the shop with a new Trans and Slave earlier this week following the clutch failure that took out the Trans :mad:. Today, adjusted toe, washed it and loaded up for a day and a half at Grattan, and then Monday at Road America. :)

Another MT82 or Magnum XL?

Mad Hatter

Gotta go Faster
Santiago, Chile

Tucson 302

2013 Black LS #439

Received my Chinese IDS knock off and performed the Misfire Monitor Neutral Profile Relearn no more P030X codes ;D

And damn its loud with those Kooks headers!

Will get it on the dyno soon and hopefully back on track next month, its been too long

In prep for my first track day ever, put in Dot 4 fluid, SS clutch line, torqued lugs, checked exhaust clamps (new exhaust), trans fluid swap to Redline MTL. Will check air pressure, top off fluids and empty oil catch can tomorrow as needed. Anything else? This is just novice runs at Gingerman for SCCA Track Night in America. Not too serious yet, lol.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

TMSBOSS

Spending my pension on car parts and track fees.
Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
10-20 Years
Illinois

max5ive0 said:
In prep for my first track day ever, put in Dot 4 fluid, SS clutch line, torqued lugs, checked exhaust clamps (new exhaust), trans fluid swap to Redline MTL. Will check air pressure, top off fluids and empty oil catch can tomorrow as needed. Anything else? This is just novice runs at Gingerman for SCCA Track Night in America. Not too serious yet, lol.

Tire pressures, helmet SA2005 or better check with track.

Remove everything from the car which is not needed. Floor mats, trunk content etc..

Take your torque wrench and socket with you. Re torque after first session.

Relax and enjoy. Listen to the instructor and go no faster than you are comfortable with.

302 Hi Pro

Boss 302 - Racing Legend to Modern Muscle Car
Southeast

Kooks Super Street Headers and Jacking Plates installed last week. Blowfish front tow hook and Boss 302 Splitter install planned for this week. Very happy with results and performance.

302 Hi Pro

TMSBOSS said:
Tire pressures, helmet SA2005 or better check with track.

Remove everything from the car which is not needed. Floor mats, trunk content etc..

Take your torque wrench and socket with you. Re torque after first session.

Relax and enjoy. Listen to the instructor and go no faster than you are comfortable with.
thank you! I cannot wait. I have been ashamed that I have not yet driven this car on a track where it belongs.

Finally got the front GT500 15" 6 piston Brembo installed. Very easy to do and the first thing people notice on the car now. Stopping power is increased and really fills the wheel now. I will try to get a shot with the Boss wheel, as soon as I get one of them out of storage. I would think that the stock Boss wheel will fit, but I will try one to confirm, unless someone on BMO can confirm.

105.jpg

142.jpg

302 Hi Pro said:
Kooks Super Street Headers and Jacking Plates installed last week. Blowfish front tow hook and Boss 302 Splitter install planned for this week. Very happy with results and performance.

302 Hi Pro
The Kooks Super Streets do sound and feel different, don't they? The lopey idle is also a lot more pronounced, IMO.

Exp. Level
10-20 Years
Michigan

Just got back from 3 enjoyable but challenging days at the track.

Recently I've had a run of transmission issues -- Slave Cylinder failed at Watkins Glen, in the morning of Day 2 in May. Ran Mid Ohio over Labor Day with Steve, no issues. The following week in June at VIR the Clutch went out, after we replaced it we found that it had also taken out 3rd gear in the Transmission.

Replaced the Transmission and went to Grattan and Road America this weekend. Transmission spilt fluid onto the exhaust causing smoke at Grattan, but it was minor -- ran OK. Assumed that it was due to the Trans being in storage and condensation/soaked loctite from assembly causing frothing. Skipped a session and went to buy fluid and a pump, drained the fluid and replaced it at the track. First session after refill no issue, but second session (Trans was still hot and ambient temps went up), a little more smoke. Called Steve to check fluid fill quantity (couldn't access manuals on iPhone) and found that although I'd slightly overfilled, the fluid was a little low.

There was no reduction in fluid level during the 2 morning sessions on Sunday as as the car was running good with no shift issues I decided to go to RA for Monday.

RA is faster and was hotter. More smoke and a Meatball. Just got 2-3 sessions in :(

Spent lunchtime yesterday diagnosing the issue. Turns out that early build Transmissions had a breather issue. Seems like I picked up an un-used Trans with the old breather.

Today I lowered the Engine and Trans about an inch and removed the breather. Unfortunately the insert is also different with a larger diameter port -- will remove the Intake Manifold tomorrow to attempt to change that .

Here is a picture of the new insert and breather and the old style breather:

IMG_1157%202_zpsxcx0hxos.jpg

302 Hi Pro

Boss 302 - Racing Legend to Modern Muscle Car
Southeast

Fiddler49 said:
The Kooks Super Streets do sound and feel different, don't they? The lopey idle is also a lot more pronounced, IMO.

Fiddler49:

Yes they do and in fact I was a little surprised at the difference. TracKey idle is much improved. I did notice the OEM Tri-Y's had a fair amount of weld material around the inner circumference of each primary tube at the mounting flange and the Kooks headers are smooth bored in the same location.

Also had mine Silver Ceramic Coated and the temps are running cooler on the primary tubes. Need further temp testing to see the the true temp reduction. Heat has been moved down to the OEM Cats and I suspect they will light off sooner now.

It was a big job for me in my garage, but well worth the effort. Really like that I'm able to keep my factory Street and Red Key tunes.

Regards,
Dave
2HP

302 Hi Pro said:
Fiddler49:

Yes they do and in fact I was a little surprised at the difference. TracKey idle is much improved. I did notice the OEM Tri-Y's had a fair amount of weld material around the inner circumference of each primary tube at the mounting flange and the Kooks headers are smooth bored in the same location.

Also had mine Silver Ceramic Coated and the temps are running cooler on the primary tubes. Need further temp testing to see the the true temp reduction. Heat has been moved down to the OEM Cats and I suspect they will light off sooner now.

It was a big job for me in my garage, but we'll worth the effort. Really like that I'm able to keep my factory Street and Red Key tunes.

Regards,
Dave
2HP

im located in NJ and have a set of Kooks in my garage for 2 years now. where did you send your headers to be coated and what kind of cost is it to have them done. Is it well worth the money for the coating.

Exp. Level
10-20 Years
Michigan

Removed the Intake Manifold to get to the Transmission Breather:

IMG_1160_zpsntt5sard.jpg

Although the Breather is visible, I also had to remove the Rear Trans mount and lower the K-Member and Engine about an inch to get access:

IMG_1158_zpss0qol1w9.jpg

Pulled the Breather and compared the old version (on the right) to the new:

IMG_1162_zpskg3cgjy6.jpg

The bad news is that the old version was a push fit into a 8mm hole, the new is 10mm, so the upgrade requires the Trans to be dropped to drill an enlarged hole....

Have used Permatex to re-install the old breather pipe in the top of the Trans and will run a tube to a breather on the firewall....

Drive the piss out of it today at Gingerman! I learned that its not the car, but the Driver, since I had a hell of a time keeping up with a 15 Ecoboost. He had a couple sessions of seat time. But that car is no slouch! Respect!

Tucson 302

2013 Black LS #439

Put the new motor on a Mustang Dynamometer yesterday, best pull was 443 HP and 341 Torque I think once the motor gets fully broken in those will improve

TMO Supporting Vendors