The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

What did you do to your Boss 302 or S197 today?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Re: What did you do to your boss today?

max5ive0 said:
Before:a7u6a8uv.jpg
After:
dejeqeqe.jpg
On T springs. I love the stance. But I am already very weary of the Plastidip on my front end and wheels. But, I am going to keep it as my sacrificial layer until after the MustangsAcrossAmerica trip.
What are those (nice) wheels?
Shelby's?
Does the Plastidip offer enough protection when tracking a car?

Justin

Save the dawn for your dishes!!!

rpm3dinc said:
All Dyno runs that this company does are STD Mode runs... I assume they can get the SAE Numbers from a STD run? Not very knowledgeable about how well the software converts (if it even does from STD to SAE after the run).

In any case, regardless of STD or SAE, I need to definitely reset my PCM and relearn idle prior to the next run (This weekend). With the Red Key ONLY right? Now, the question is, do I need to let the car engage in Lopey Idle Prior to the run? Or just put in the track key and let her rip?

And to "Reset" I unhook the Black Battery Cable for 5 minutes, reconnect it, Using only the Black Key I start the car and let idle for 5 minutes and then I should be good to go right? Just don't use the Red key until Dyno time... (gota drive there, but I can use the Black Key for that I guess (Normally only use Red Key)
no
Disconnect battery touch disconnected leads together or disconnect leads and let sit for 20 mins with headlight switch on and a few taps of the brake pedal.

Then connect battery. Start car do not touch gas pedal
Let idle for ten to fifteen mins

Turn on ac high for one min then turn off.

Go drive car normally for 10-12 miles.

Kam clear and idle rest complete.

Useless to do if you still are running shiznit gas. Run some of the torco fuel additive to be sure gas is up to snuff. Or run unleaded race fuel.

Sae gives you a correction for an identical atmosphere. Uncorrected gives you what it made as is with no correction for atmosphere. Std gives you big numbers and is widely not used by most dyno places.

Sae is what you want if it's a hot day and humid it corrects for that data. So next time it should give you the same numbers same car same dyno regardless of weather.

Where their weather station is mounted also is important. It has been done to make big big numbers with a dyno just to get a graph or cheat a customer is to place a damp towel over the weather station and heat with a hair dryer or heat gun. This is why you want to see the weather data as well. All this is easy to produce with the dyno jet software if they won't give you what you want find a different dyno.

Wow, didn't know you had to do all that to reset, the instructions I heard was disconnect negative terminal, then reconnect, idle for 5 min and turn off, then your good to go.

I guess it will be difficult to do a reset like that before a Dyno run.
But I don't have to have the red key go into Lopey idle for the Dyno run do I?

Justin

rpm3dinc said:
Wow, didn't know you had to do all that to reset, the instructions I heard was disconnect negative terminal, then reconnect, idle for 5 min and turn off, then your good to go.

I guess it will be difficult to do a reset like that before a Dyno run.
But I don't have to have the red key go into Lopey idle for the Dyno run do I?
no you don't

Justin

Fomoco302 said:
IMO I would think you'd want the engine fully up to operating temps before subjecting to a high rpm run, thus lopey idle would be kicked in.
true me and some of my friends with newer stangs find they get best 1/4 mile times if it just comes up to temp for the fan just kicking on. now the lopey idle has a timer it uses regardless of temp so on a dyno there is no reason to wait the five something mins for it to engage.

patrickshelby said:
What are those (nice) wheels?
Shelby's?
Does the Plastidip offer enough protection when tracking a car?

They are the Boss stock wheels with gold Plastidip. Just having a little fun with it since I got a sprayer. I can't answer your second question, as I have not YET tracked the car.

patrickshelby said:
NICE!
Looking for the exact same wheels...(or both in 19")
I suppose BFG Rivals in 295/35/18 & 315/30/18
Do you "see" the difference in height (because the rears are a bit smaller in diameter...)?
Did you track those tires?
Looking for same Bilstein combo (from Vorshlag as well)...
What do yo think about them with the K springs?
Why did you not opt for the Bilstein springs?
More pics pls.! :)
Check out the frt rubbing when you have a chance...
Sorry, lots of questions but dead on the set-up I am about to get.
THX

I do see a small difference in the wheel to fender gap front to back with more being in the back. Not sure if this is from the tires or just how the springs sit.

So far I like the Bilsteins and the k springs. I went K because I wanted more drop than the Bilsteins and also Jason at vorshlag recommended them over the P for autox which is what I primarily do. He said the p's are a little more balanced for the track if I recall correctly. I can certainly tell the car is a lot more composed I guess with the stiffer shocks and springs. The ride is maybe a little worse on the street but not much and more consistent I think.

Do you have anything specific you want pics of? I can get some more overall pics this weekend, I park in a parking structure or carport during the week and can't get great pics.

Scott

DailyDrivenBoss said:
I do see a small difference in the wheel to fender gap front to back with more being in the back. Not sure if this is from the tires or just how the springs sit.
So far I like the Bilsteins and the k springs. I went K because I wanted more drop than the Bilsteins and also Jason at vorshlag recommended them over the P for autox which is what I primarily do. He said the p's are a little more balanced for the track if I recall correctly. I can certainly tell the car is a lot more composed I guess with the stiffer shocks and springs. The ride is maybe a little worse on the street but not much and more consistent I think.
Do you have anything specific you want pics of? I can get some more overall pics this weekend, I park in a parking structure or carport during the week and can't get great pics.
Scott
Hi Scott,
Thank you for your reply!
Some pictures with the light (sun or artificial) on the side of the car to see the wheels, the tires, the fender gaps, the sticking out (or not) and the bulge of the tires vs the rims.
Hem...but that could all be seen in two shots, in direct sunlight.
One perpendicular to the side + one from behind / or from the front looking at the side of the vehicle.
THANK YOU AGAIN!
Patrick

TMO Supporting Vendors

Latest posts

Buy TMO Apparel

Buy TMO Apparel