The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

What tires are you running? Recommendations?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Now my pirellis are toast, front left peeled at the track. I ordered MM camber plates today to help but Im debating what tires to get now.

Needs to be for street and track for me as this is my only car.

Thinking of running...

Hankook R-S3 275/35/19 all around..these are the grippiest, around $350 a tire. All the guys I track with been using these and they highly recommend them.

Bridgestone RE-11 285/35/19 and 255/35/19...should be better than stock pirellis and are $339 for rears, fronts a little less. Used these on a mini cooper that was in the family, great stiff sidewall. Good tire!

Nitto NT05 275/35/19 all around - 250 a tire, never used these but had some other shitty lower end nitto I hated

And on a seperate note I just saw the Boss 302R BBS wheels at for racing website....18x9.5 all around @ 20.7lbs...DROOOOOL

You'll want the 302S not R BBS wheels with the stock diameter studs. If you want to run 19" wheels look at Michelin PSS in 265 or 275/35/19 for the front and 295/30/19 for the rear. The wider rears will require a 10" wide wheel though.

oops mean 302s ...

the michelin PSS is a bit more, 450 for a 295 and that size is pushing it for a 9.5 in rim. and almost 100 more per tire. Ive had the PSS on other cars and they are great...but leaning to try the R-S3 all around 275.

DD GT3 RD said:
the michelin PSS is a bit more, 450 for a 295 and that size is pushing it for a 9.5 in rim. and almost 100 more per tire. Ive had the PSS on other cars and they are great...but leaning to try the R-S3 all around 275.
The tread rating on the RS 3 is less than half that of the PSS. So in the long run the PSS is the better value but may not be as sticky. Just depends on which side of the trade off you want to go with.

http://www.caranddriver.com/comparisons/monsters-of-grip-nine-summer-performance-tires-tested-comparison-test

PeteInCT

#LS-378 - So many Porsche's, so little time....
Connecticut
5 DOT 0 said:
DD GT3 RD said:
The tread rating on the RS 3 is less than half that of the PSS. So in the long run the PSS is the better value but may not be as sticky. Just depends on which side of the trade off you want to go with.

http://www.caranddriver.com/comparisons/monsters-of-grip-nine-summer-performance-tires-tested-comparison-test

+1, PSS hands down.

Sesshomurai

In my experience the pirelli pzero corsa's are the best street/track tire you can buy. But at a huge price.

If you're running square 19", I'd go with 19x9.5 wheels and your Hankook R-S3 275/35/19.

I'm running Hankook Ventus V12's now and will get the R-S3's for my square RTR 19x9.5's for next season. Good combo.
They hold up nice on the track, good grip and feedback and I've run them on wet tracks with cars (literally) spinning out in front and behind me over elevation,
and I held on. That's in the boss too...

PeteInCT

Connecticut
darreng505 said:
In my experience the pirelli pzero corsa's are the best street/track tire you can buy. But at a huge price.

IMHO the Corsa'a were a terrible tire, they cannot deal with the weight of the Boss well (I believe the sidewalls are too weak) and they 'chunk' out after only a few hard driven track events. I am not the first driver this has happened to. I know of one very experienced driver (a forum member) who literally tore a set of Corsa's to shreds in one track weekend. To make things worse they are insanely expensive, as you stated.

Have you driven on the track with PSS's ?

IMG_20120409_151819.jpg
IMG_20120409_151814.jpg
IMG_20120409_151809.jpg

PeteInCT said:
darreng505 said:

IMHO the Corsa'a were a terrible tire, they cannot deal with the weight of the Boss well (I believe the sidewalls are too weak) and they 'chunk' out after only a few hard driven track events.
I've seen this in person. But Pete are they fast? ;)

PeteInCT

Connecticut
Compared to what tire? Definitely not as fast an NT-555R-II for sure. I did not run PSS's on the Boss, but my experience with them makes me believe they will outperform the Corsa's even though they are are not R-comps.

Sesshomurai

PeteInCT said:
darreng505 said:

IMHO the Corsa'a were a terrible tire,

Well, the compound is softer, yes. Look at slicks, they last even less and fall apart even faster. But YMMV. So far, my experience with the Corsa's have been a bit different. But its good to hear everyone's experience. The corsa's give great grip, but will last less, true. Interesting thought about the possible weak sidewalls though. I think these tires require higher (cold) tire pressure when used on the boss though, that's what I do.

5 DOT 0 said:
DD GT3 RD said:

Thats true, you make a good point...but i more worried about them holding up on the track...cause if they tear apart/shred then they are worthless...The R-S3 seems to be able to withstand track abuse. I just have to make a decision!

Also here are my Pirellis...lol..all the outside peeled off

-97B4-441C-8170-8EB00F808DB4-4653-00000332B968D203.jpg
-4643-4448-AE99-E5B05B1EAE74-4653-00000332BD88D831.jpg

Sesshomurai

DD GT3 RD said:
5 DOT 0 said:
DD GT3 RD said:

Thats true, you make a good point...but i more worried about them holding up on the track...cause if they tear apart/shred then they are worthless...The R-S3 seems to be able to withstand track abuse. I just have to make a decision!

-97B4-441C-8170-8EB00F808DB4-4653-00000332B968D203.jpg
-4643-4448-AE99-E5B05B1EAE74-4653-00000332BD88D831.jpg

What's ironic about the tire wear (and opinions will vary) is that when you see strong wear like that, its actually good because it means the tire is absorbing the friction into itself (and dissipating it) rather than just flat out losing traction and throwing you into a spin....as always, YMMV!

PeteInCT

Connecticut
That's just wear. If you were pushing the car harder on a hot track you would see chunks coming off well before the tires wear down. Good R-Comps will just wear down to the inner ply. Nittos do, Hoosiers do, etc.

Un-shaved tires will chunk, even with r-comps, in my experience when run hard. 888s do it unless you cycle them a bunch of times to harden them up before running them aggressively...but that defeats the purpose of having r-comps. My first set which were unshaved chunked a bit the first couple days then settled down, they eventually delaminated before the tread was all gone (other than the outer edge but it had plenty of usable rubber there). I would not use un-shaved 888s on the track anymore, though my current RA1s are full tread because I needed them on the spot at the track due to forgetting to check my old tires before heading to the track :p Part of what is nice about r-comps is that they usually have a lot of rubber left after shaving the tread, as opposed to street tires that don't usually have much good rubber under the tread. This is on a 150 hp 2800 lb E30, I imagine the issues are worse with the Boss but I have not run it that hard yet. My guess is the tread allows more wiggle thus more heat which over-heats the tires.

Do any of you guys shave your tires? If so has it helped?

zzyzx

Steve
I went with the PSS in 275/40F, 295/35R on stock wheels.

As to fitment, no issues at all - both front & rear are fine on the stock wheels.

The PSS is the darling of the One Lap crowd, but more for the fact that they work in all conditions (wet/dry/hot/cold) better than anything else out there.

As to wear, they apparently have a different compound on the outside of the tire, and many have reported that they wear very quickly on the outside, particularly if you don't have enough camber.

I dialed in -2.6F camber with the FRPP crash bolts prior to mounting up the PSSs.

On a high speed concrete autox, the grip was a huge jump over the Pirellis. Understeer was noticeably reduced, but I expected that with the additional camber either way.

IMO, you can't go wrong with the RS-3s and I honestly doubt they'll wear out faster than the PSSs. My guess is that they'll end up lasting longer. They are the "hot" tire in the street tire based autox classes and handle heat really well. They can heat cycle out grip wise, but not nearly as quickly as the Yoko Advan Neova, for instance.

I think my next set of tires will be the RS-3s in 305/30-19 on a square setup.

GA
I dunno - I have put 10K miles and run 5 track days on my P Zero tires and they are worn more on the corners but nothing like that. I probably have a another couple of thousand miles left on them. Checking your tire pressures on track days frequently, and rotating them afterwards, is key.

PJWANNABE said:
I dunno - I have put 10K miles and run 5 track days on my P Zero tires and they are worn more on the corners but nothing like that. I probably have a another couple of thousand miles left on them. Checking your tire pressures on track days frequently, and rotating them afterwards, is key.

thats crazy...10k and 5 track day?! I dont know any tire that lasts that long! been driving in the rain?

I start them at 29/30 psi when I arrive at the track

Sesshomurai

DD GT3 RD said:
I start them at 29/30 psi when I arrive at the track

I vary/adjust the cold psi depending on the temp, altitude, weather, track temp, heat cycles, etc. It's an art!!

DD GT3 RD said:
You need new tires AND camber plates. LOL

I have 7,000 miles and five track days on my stock Pirelli's and expect to get one more track day out of them this week before I mount a set of PSS tires. Since the rears still have a fair amount of rubber on them I plan to practice my best John Force imitation before the new tires go on. ;D

5 DOT 0 said:
DD GT3 RD said:
You need new tires AND camber plates. LOL

I have 7,000 miles and five track days on my stock Pirelli's and expect to get one more track day out of them this week before I mount a set of PSS tires. Since the rears still have a fair amount of rubber on them I plan to practice my best John Force imitation before the new tires go on. ;D

Ordered MM camber plates today!

TMO Supporting Vendors