The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

Wheel fitment question for SN95

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Hey I have a chance to grab a set of Forgestar 18x10 +22mm locally for a great price, require some clean up (plastidip) but if they check out they're a great price. I'm curious what everyone thinks of the fitment of these on a stock 96 Cobra vert, that is being built for HPDE and later ST3.
What tires? I was looking at 265/35 Federal 595's for HPDE. Opinions are welcome.

Bill Pemberton

0ld Ford Automotive Racing Terror
Exp. Type
Time Attack
Exp. Level
20+ Years
Blair, Nebraska
To be honest have never even heard of Federals, so looked up a little info. Surprised at how inexpensive they were and too bad they don't have more sizes , though I would move to a 275 on your car, over a 265. Frankly both are a bit too thin ( width wise ) in my mind, but at the price point it is worth checking them out and we will look forward to hearing from you when you can give your assessment?

Federals worry me because they are too inexpensive, I haven't the gut to try them in any meaningful way. I have tried Kumhos, however , and was very happy with their DOT slick for road racing.

Bill Pemberton

Exp. Type
Time Attack
Exp. Level
20+ Years
Blair, Nebraska
Will agree with Blacksheep as I tend to go with tires that are tried and true. Can give strong comments on Hoosiers, Michelins , and even Bridgestone and Toyo. All will run more ( price wise ) , and there is also another option out there if you trailer the car -- get a set of used World Challenge Series Pirelli slicks. Usually they are around 125-150 per tire and they stick great and you don't feel bad if you trash one, ha. I know a lot of guys who drive to the track ( road course or autocross ) and the Bridgestone RE-71Rs are quite popular as are the Toyo R888rs. Michelin Sport Cups are quicker than each of those on a road course, though they won't heat up as quick as the Bridgestones on an Autocross course. Compromises with many , and the fast rubber will be the Hoosiers or a set of used Pirelli slicks.

Last edited:

JDee

Ancient Racer
Exp. Type
W2W Racing
Exp. Level
20+ Years
5 miles from Mosport
There was a discussion on another forum (one that has a lot of drama on it, hint hint) about Federal tires and there was a fair bit of positive comment on them. Some photos of a right front tire off a set that was used on a track that was famous for wear and they looked like they took the abuse quite well. The problem, as was pointed out, is sizing though the 275 is supposedly 10.2" tread width, which is pretty decent I think for HPDE type things and would work great on 10" square rims, which I am seriously angling towards.

I'm not looking to set any lap records, and so if being able to buy, say, 2 sets of tires for the price of 1 at a cost of throwing away a couple of seconds a lap on a 2 minute track, I would likely take that deal. For me it's all about enjoying the car and the track, the seconds a lap takes are secondary to just being out there having fun with my car.

There's more to consider than just price. NASA classifying penalizes you for having tires wider than 267mm it also penalizes you for having non-DOT tires. The RS-RR's in 265 are the widest I can get away with. Doing a 275 non DOT tire would move me up a class and well lets face it a 20 year old cobra ain't keeping up with the new Coyotes or detuned camaro's and c6/c7 Corvettes, 911's, and so on.

In any case the Forgestar wheels got sold to the first guy in line.

Eventually I'll get to the point where I'm trailering the car, and move to a better tire but ive heard good things from another SN95 driver here in NASA about those tires and I'm comfortable with them because it'll get me more track time, and more seat time will make me faster than tires at this point.

Bill Pemberton

Exp. Type
Time Attack
Exp. Level
20+ Years
Blair, Nebraska
Sounds like you have a great attitude as the best drivers I know work on getting track time, technique, etc. first and speed comes later. Having fun is the main focus and it is surprising how many forget that is the reason most of us do this !! Keep us informed and there are some other rims out there that are quite reasonable and will stand up to the rigors of track use ------ feel free to call me if you want some ideas on those ( no worries I am not selling any of the recommendations).

Bill Pemberton
402-677-5864 cell

TMO Supporting Vendors