The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

Wheel/tire packages for track

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lbp said:
I think your link references the same info contained in the pdf link.
I've sent an email to Jeff Speer at Hoosier for some recommendations on the B302 which I will post when received.
My inquiry with him is specifically in regard to running 315x30x18 all around (requires suspension mods), so his reply may not be 100% relevant to the staggered setup most will be running.

Here is his email: [email protected].

Jeff is a very responsive guy and will be sure to answer any questions you ask...
The PDF shows lower pressures than I referenced. See page 3 of the PDF. For example, on cars 3,000+ lbs, it says 23-29 psi cold and 34-39+ hot.....

Funny, I emailed him on Friday about recommendations on a staggered set of slicks on my Enkeis. What suspension mods are you planning to run those tires?

cloud9 said:
I don't run sensors on my track wheels. I'm almost positive they reset when you put your street wheels back on. I'm only hedging slightly because I have a tool to retrain them, but iirc I haven't needed it on the Boss.

You are 100% correct. (not about being almost positive, about the re-setingly thing :D)

I started thinking twice today about getting these after watching a Porsche lost tire enough pressure in the LR to lose traction. He unfortunately hit the wall with the front and rear and the car is totaled. When I picked up a razor blade at Homestead I was lucky to catch it in the pits. The only downside is with the NT05's I have been running the starting pressure is so low it would set the system off anyways.

cloud9 said:
lbp said:
I think your link references the same info contained in the pdf link.
I've sent an email to Jeff Speer at Hoosier for some recommendations on the B302 which I will post when received.
My inquiry with him is specifically in regard to running 315x30x18 all around (requires suspension mods), so his reply may not be 100% relevant to the staggered setup most will be running.

Here is his email: [email protected].

Jeff is a very responsive guy and will be sure to answer any questions you ask...
The PDF shows lower pressures than I referenced. See page 3 of the PDF. For example, on cars 3,000+ lbs, it says 23-29 psi cold and 34-39+ hot.....

Funny, I emailed him on Friday about recommendations on a staggered set of slicks on my Enkeis. What suspension mods are you planning to run those tires?

Yes, I too noticed the difference in the pressures compared with the pdf...

I've been talking with Filip at Cortex Racing,

http://www.cortexracing.com/store/suspension/2005-2012-mustang/track-package/

- There are quite a few additional options required to make the "package" shown in the above link complete, so if you are interested in what he has, a conversation with him could be helpful to fully understand all that is required; drop links, offset shock mounts, etc., etc., etc. (& more)

I'm also considering an upgrade to Ohlins shocks instead of the ones he shows in the base kit.

I like Filip because he takes some time to talk about getting the setup correct to really button the car down.
Also, it appears his package is being homolgated in SCCA CA for the S197 (not sure for what class(es).

That's a nice looking kit and similar to the Griggs setup I have on my GT500. For now, I'm just looking at the FRPP springs when they become available. I still enjoy driving the Boss on the street too much. Once you go to that level it's great on the track, but gets a little excessive for the street.....especially up here with all our potholes :D

GA
cloud9 said:
1-1-12 said:
Thanks alot. One more question do you run pressure sensors? If not do they reset when you put the street tires back on?

I guess that's two questions, Thanks.
I don't run sensors on my track wheels. I'm almost positive they reset when you put your street wheels back on. I'm only hedging slightly because I have a tool to retrain them, but iirc I haven't needed it on the Boss.

That is correct; if you take the stock wheels off and run track wheels without sensors, the TPMS message should disappear after putting the stock wheels back on and restarting the car. If you put wheels with new sensors on it will probably mess it up. To clear the message you can either take it for a quick trip to the dealer or buy the handheld learning tool for about $40 online and re-set it yourself.

PJWANNABE said:
That is correct; if you take the stock wheels off and run track wheels without sensors, the TPMS message should disappear after putting the stock wheels back on and restarting the car. If you put wheels with new sensors on it will probably mess it up. To clear the message you can either take it for a quick trip to the dealer or buy the handheld learning tool for about $40 online and re-set it yourself.
I have TPMS sensors in my track and street wheels. So you're saying if I have two sets of wheels that have sensors that will throw a code and I'll have to either take my car to the dealer to be reset or but a tool that will clear it?

GA
5 DOT 0 said:
PJWANNABE said:
I have TPMS sensors in my track and street wheels. So you're saying if I have two sets of wheels that have sensors that will throw a code and I'll have to either take my car to the dealer to be reset or but a tool that will clear it?

I'm not 100% sure if just putting on wheels with new or differently trained sensors will mess up the training with the existing wheels, but the system will think there is an error just like putting on wheels without sensors. When you return the wheels with the trained sensors to the vehicle it should start working again. The dealer will use the same tool that you can buy to recalibrate the TPMS.

Check out the tool and instructions here:
http://www.latemodelrestoration.com/item/TPMS19/Mustang-Tpms-Sensor-Training-Tool

5 DOT 0 said:
steveespo said:
I have run multiple wheel sets with different sensors and each time I swap the car reads them correctly with no resetting or tools. My experience your mileage may vary.
Steve
Thanks.
I had to reset them each time I swapped wheels on my GT500 (with sensors on my track wheels) and used the same tool Ken referenced. Now they have redesigned the TPMS sensors from what they ran on the '07s, so hopefully it's not necessary anymore.

cloud9 said:
That's a nice looking kit and similar to the Griggs setup I have on my GT500. For now, I'm just looking at the FRPP springs when they become available. I still enjoy driving the Boss on the street too much. Once you go to that level it's great on the track, but gets a little excessive for the street.....especially up here with all our potholes :D

Yes, I agree.
I originally bought the 302 as a nice daily driver, something to use instead of a Porsche GT3RS I'd prefer not to rack miles upon whenever I want to go for a spin.
Well, now I'm figuring out how to save the B302LS for the track :D
- This car took me totally by surprise!
Having said that, I like it enough to make it a semi-dedicated track unit which will see limited street use. It will probably end up lower & stiffer.
Cage & brakes later; after warranty maybe take a look at that power unit.
The smarter thing might be to get a 302S & just enjoy this nice car as is...

lbp said:
I thought the same thing after a few track days in the Boss, but now I've gone far enough down the road to a 302S that I'll probably just continue.....it's just a matter of the rate of metamorphosis :D

lbp said:
cloud9 said:

Yes, I agree.
I originally bought the 302 as a nice daily driver, something to use instead of a Porsche GT3RS I'd prefer not to rack miles upon whenever I want to go for a spin.
Having said that, I like it enough to make it a semi-dedicated track unit which will see limited street use. It will probably end up lower & stiffer.
Do you still have the GT3 RS? Can you please compare the GT3 RS to your Boss on the track?

cloud9 said:
lbp said:
I thought the same thing after a few track days in the Boss, but now I've gone far enough down the road to a 302S that I'll probably just continue.....it's just a matter of the rate of metamorphosis :D

Yup.. :D

5 DOT 0 said:
lbp said:
cloud9 said:

Yes, I agree.
Do you still have the GT3 RS? Can you please compare the GT3 RS to your Boss on the track?

Not yet, got the 302 in September & haven't been to the track with it yet.
On the street, the 302 in it's current (original) state is more comfortable; able to soak up pavement divots, etc. better then the GT3. It is also less tiring on long-ish drives.
I will definitely not miss the Porsche-priced visits to the dealer for routine maintenance!
For now, my other impression comparison-wise is that if the Porsche were a scalpel, the 302 would be a machete.
OK, I'm exaggerating :D, and I have no real clue what the 302 will be like at speed on the track.
...Over the years I have seen how quickly, unexpectedly and easily it all goes bad on the track, - where things are relatively under control & safe. As a result of this experience I try to drive the speed limits and otherwise behave on public venues, where here in NJ anything that can will happen. - Not that the Boss makes any of that easy! So for now, other guys who have driven against GT3s will have a better impression, track-side.
Power-wise, I think the cars are close, Porsche may have a little more up top, Boss more low/mid range - again, others may have track experience & can report more accurately on this.
The transmission & clutch on the Porsche are much more business-like and GT3 feels more buttoned down, but again, I think the Boss only needs a little help suspension-wise (& lowered) to make it really comp-worthy. Not sure about those brakes, though...
Overall, the Boss being bigger & heavier is obviously not as immediately responsive to input, but in my opinion, it does have the right DNA and just needs to be sharpened up a bit per suspension & probably then brakes as noted.
Definitely want to get the battery into the truck & can't stand that so much power-on traction is lacking due to 55% of its weight being hung off the front end, although, having said that, the car does feel well-balanced.
I will report back once I have some real-world impressions..
PS - The GT3RS is a 2007 3.6L 415hp/280tq weight is 3031 lbs.

I've run against several Porsches....GT3s and RSs along with Cayman S etc. Your assessment is similar to mine. I run toe to toe with GT3s but give up some power and handling to the GT3RSs (although that hasn't kept me from passing some :D)

You'll need some track pads, fluid and preferably 2-piece rotors, otherwise I think the brakes may surprise you and be better than you expect. If I upgrade the springs, I think I'll be happy (for now) with the competitiveness of the Boss versus the GT3.

As an aside, the stock battery only weighs 30 lbs. I know it's up high in the engine bay, but will require additional wiring that will add some weight. Given the Boss curb weight (mine's down to around 3530, vs stock 3630), that 30lbs is relatively minor IMO (<0.1%).

cloud9 said:
I've run against several Porsches....GT3s and RSs along with Cayman S etc. Your assessment is similar to mine. I run toe to toe with GT3s but give up some power and handling to the GT3RSs (although that hasn't kept me from passing some :D)

You'll need some track pads, fluid and preferably 2-piece rotors, otherwise I think the brakes may surprise you and be better than you expect. If I upgrade the springs, I think I'll be happy (for now) with the competitiveness of the Boss versus the GT3.

As an aside, the stock battery only weighs 30 lbs. I know it's up high in the engine bay, but will require additional wiring that will add some weight. Given the Boss curb weight (mine's down to around 3530, vs stock 3630), that 30lbs is relatively minor IMO (<0.1%).

I agree with your comments about the battery cables, etc.
Might try the 13lb Odyssey bat.. ;D - although some say it cannot handle a full electrical system.

5 DOT 0 said:
lbp said:
I will definitely not miss the Porsche-priced visits to the dealer for routine maintenance!
No doubt. ;D I think the Boss is going to deliver a lot of the fun/rewards of a GT3 at a fraction of the price. I look forward to reading your impressions after you track the Boss.

Cant' wait for sure ;D

lbp said:
5 DOT 0 said:
lbp said:
No doubt. ;D I think the Boss is going to deliver a lot of the fun/rewards of a GT3 at a fraction of the price. I look forward to reading your impressions after you track the Boss.

Cant' wait for sure ;D
Can you make it to Limerock on 5/31? There's a bunch of other Bosses coming out that day

TMO Supporting Vendors