The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

which brake pads do you guys prefer?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

PeteInCT

#LS-378 - So many Porsche's, so little time....
Connecticut
batman48195 said:
How are these with dust and squealing? Does it matter what Rotors you run them on? My car is stock right now and I might do 1 to 2 track days a year.

Thanks,
Brian

The RST-2's are race pads with significant stopping power and heat management capabilities, so there is no guarantee that they will be 100% quiet on the street. Unless you do mostly track driving and only occasional street driving you would probably be more geared towards the RS-29 endurance compound. They are also true race pads (Audi has used them to win LeMans multiple times) but they are less aggressive than the RST-2's and tend to be a quieter under colder street temps.

As for brake dust, if you are showing your car mostly I'd suggest looking towards a ceramic (non-race) pad. All race pads make dust, let no one fool you. Some brands (Hawk is one of them) leave dust that tends to bake on and is very difficult if not impossible to remove if you track your car. Pagid pads (as well as some other brands) clean up easily, but they do leave dust.

-Pete

batman48195

I never get tired of driving it!
PeteInCT said:
The RST-2's are race pads with significant stopping power and heat management capabilities, so there is no guarantee that they will be 100% quiet on the street. Unless you do mostly track driving and only occasional street driving you would probably be more geared towards the RS-29 endurance compound. They are also true race pads (Audi has used them to win LeMans multiple times) but they are less aggressive than the RST-2's and tend to be a quieter under colder street temps.

As for brake dust, if you are showing your car mostly I'd suggest looking towards a ceramic (non-race) pad. All race pads make dust, let no one fool you. Some brands (Hawk is one of them) leave dust that tends to bake on and is very difficult if not impossible to remove if you track your car. Pagid pads (as well as some other brands) clean up easily, but they do leave dust.

-Pete

Thanks Pete. Good info. Just what I was looking for!

Brian

PeteInCT

Connecticut
batman48195 said:
Thanks Pete. Good info. Just what I was looking for!

Brian

Your welcome ! We are still running our Spring Special great discount plus free shipping !

-Pete

PeteInCT

Connecticut
13Boss#3328 said:
Pete, wouldn't ABS be an annoyance with those pads?

Only if you are tracking the car with tires that brake pedal forcehave insufficient grip AND you don't modulate your braking correctly. If anything, once you get dialed into these pads you end up using less brake pedal force and you can actually modulate the brakes more precisely then when you have to lean on them hard to get the car to slow down enough in the break box.

-Pete

13Boss#3328 said:
A little bit off topic here, but what psi you run on Motive Bleeder when bleeding your brakes?

I ran 10psi and even that turned some of the brake fluid housing to turn white from the pressure.

TMO Supporting Vendors

Buy TMO Apparel

Buy TMO Apparel