The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

  • Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

Which polisher are you guys using?

Justin

Save the dawn for your dishes!!!
Most will say a porter cable.....I say skip it it takes forever and is quickly out grown. Go with either a flex or rupes 21

Having seen both in action I would go with the rupes
http://www.autogeek.net/rupes-lhr-21es-big-foot-polisher.html

Here is the flex its what I have now

http://www.autogeek.net/flex-orbital-polisher.html

Now is a good time to buy as all buffers are 25% off on auto geek
 
Justin is practically a pro, so it might make sense for him to drop 3-4 Bills on a polisher. I am a novice and I am quite happy with my PorterCable. I also have received very complimentary remarks about the shine of my car from a Very highly respected detailer, so I guess it worked for me.
 
Thanks for the suggestions Justin. I didn't realize they were that high in price.
I think those are a little out of my budget though.



max50- which model do you have?
 

Justin

Save the dawn for your dishes!!!
max5ive0 said:
Justin is practically a pro, so it might make sense for him to drop 3-4 Bills on a polisher. I am a novice and I am quite happy with my PorterCable. I also have received very complimentary remarks about the shine of my car from a Very highly respected detailer, so I guess it worked for me.
lol not quiet but the polisher I have does make it easy. Not saying you can't get results with the porter cable because you can. But it takes a quarter of the time to get the same results or better with a flex. So what would take you a day would take you three or more with a porter cable. To me that's worth the extra money. Another thing to note is the porter cable is really really loud! The flex isn't as loud. The rupes is very quiet you can speak normally and have a conversation with someone. Forceofwill has a rupes. He used to have a porter cable. So you should pm him for his opinion in the two cause he has done full cars with both. And he too just recently started doing his cars and with the rupes it turns a novice into pro.

I saw him first hand spend an entire day on his hood with a porter cable and hardly accomplished anything. Same hood with a rupes was done in less then an hour.
 

Justin

Save the dawn for your dishes!!!
colticus said:
Thanks for the suggestions Justin. I didn't realize they were that high in price.
I think those are a little out of my budget though.



max50- which model do you have?
there is really only one model porter cable people use
http://www.autogeek.net/porter-cable-7424xp.html
 

Justin

Save the dawn for your dishes!!!
The best polish I have used to far is meguiars 205 and 105 makes it quick and easy I coupled it with lake county CCS pads.

So if you go with a porter cable this is a good kit to get you started.

http://www.autogeek.net/porter-cable-meguiars-kit.html

If you want to step it up with a flex go with this one
http://www.autogeek.net/flex-meguiars-polish-kit.html

There are kits to mix and match pads and products if you know what you are looking for.

My number ne recommendation to go with is the rupes 21
http://www.autogeek.net/rupes-lhr-21es-big-foot-polisher.html

This six pack three orange two black and one red
http://www.autogeek.net/lake-country-ccs-6pack.html

Then the meguiars 105 for use on the orange pads and the 205 for use on the black pads. Another great pad to try later after you have some practice is the meguiars microfiber pads

http://www.autogeek.net/meguiars-mirror-glaze-105-ultra-cut-compound.html

http://www.autogeek.net/meguiars-finishing-polish.html
 
Justin said:
Most will say a porter cable.....I say skip it it takes forever and is quickly out grown. Go with either a flex or rupes 21

Having seen both in action I would go with the rupes
http://www.autogeek.net/rupes-lhr-21es-big-foot-polisher.html

Here is the flex its what I have now

http://www.autogeek.net/flex-orbital-polisher.html

Now is a good time to buy as all buffers are 25% off on auto geek
You mean I have to upgrade already? :p I went with the Flex on Justin's recommendation and for a beginner I was amazed how easy it was to use and with the results from my first time polishing my car.
 

Justin

Save the dawn for your dishes!!!
NFSBOSS said:
You mean I have to upgrade already? :p I went with the Flex on Justin's recommendation and for a beginner I was amazed how easy it was to use and with the results from my first time polishing my car.
the difference between the flex and rupes isn't worth the switch if you already have one. So you are good Rick lol. If you have neither then just get the rupes.

Me I plan to get one next season. And keep the flex for back up....wife said I can only have two polishers...already sold the griots garage one lol.
 

Justin

Save the dawn for your dishes!!!
max5ive0 said:
Damn, now I guess I need to start saving some cash. ThAnks a lot Justin!
you will thank me in the long run trust me. It's like hoping out of a Chevy chevette and getting into a f40. Both cars will get you where you need to go but the f40 will get you there faster...easiest terms I can put them in lol.
 
38
0
Justin said:
you will thank me in the long run trust me. It's like hoping out of a Chevy chevette and getting into a f40. Both cars will get you where you need to go but the f40 will get you there faster...easiest terms I can put them in lol.

Justin:
The Griots garage one is idiot proof (which is perfect for me) and I've never burned paint but I understand that it probably does not work as well as a higher end unit. I have no problem springing for one of the two you mention above but what type of precautions do I need to take? I'm assuming they are a lot more powerful then the Griot's unit (which I think is a rebranded Porter Cable) or can I safely use them without fear of burning paint and/or creating problems in the paint rather then making things look great. the Griot's unit has worked well for me as my paint is in good shape but I can tell it could be better.
 

Justin

Save the dawn for your dishes!!!
Twins said:
Justin:
The Griots garage one is idiot proof (which is perfect for me) and I've never burned paint but I understand that it probably does not work as well as a higher end unit. I have no problem springing for one of the two you mention above but what type of precautions do I need to take? I'm assuming they are a lot more powerful then the Griot's unit (which I think is a rebranded Porter Cable) or can I safely use them without fear of burning paint and/or creating problems in the paint rather then making things look great. the Griot's unit has worked well for me as my paint is in good shape but I can tell it could be better.
you would have to focus on a very small area for a few mins to burn through the clear. if you have the technic down with the griots you should have no problem stepping up to the flex or rupes.
 
38
0
Justin said:
you would have to focus on a very small area for a few mins to burn through the clear. if you have the technic down with the griots you should have no problem stepping up to the flex or rupes.

Good to hear. I assumed that they would be more powerful and burn through rather quickly. If that is not the case, what is it that makes them perform better.
I will of course take a practice run on my 9 year old van before ever touching the Boss with the polisher.
Looking at the site I see that they recommend using their brand of pads (of course) how seriously do I have to take that as I have plenty of pads in great shape and can I use my polish of choice?
thanks Justin.
 

Justin

Save the dawn for your dishes!!!
Twins said:
Good to hear. I assumed that they would be more powerful and burn through rather quickly. If that is not the case, what is it that makes them perform better.
I will of course take a practice run on my 9 year old van before ever touching the Boss with the polisher.
its the forced rotation for the flex
for the rupes the the throw of the orbit it being 21mm the porter cable is like 1mm (exaggeration but I know its no more then 6-9mm)

Give these videos a watch
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=jM55kroCAAs[/youtube]
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VTzQLeJOelg[/youtube]
this one shows what throw looks like between the two
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P7q-a9P7xZg[/youtube]

pc vs flex (using the old adams polishes takes forever with their old polishes....)
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ir8mA4vbgoI[/youtube]

here is what makes the flex different
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EAmojb8XIuk[/youtube]

junkman on speed of polishing (he is long winded)
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8ou4slueGVU[/youtube]

as you can see there are lots of information out there. having used all three I would choose the rupes 21 or the flex and us a PC as a paper weight (lol)
 

BLAZN BOSS

I use the one my Mom & Dad made 53 years ago, there's a left hand one and a right hand one. Runs off water or gatorade and always leaves an excellet shine everytime and without swirls! 8), I dont think you can find one in the stores, I'd let you use mine but they only work for me!
 

Justin

Save the dawn for your dishes!!!
BLAZN BOSS said:
I use the one my Mom & Dad made 53 years ago, there's a left hand one and a right hand one. Runs off water or gatorade and always leaves an excellet shine everytime and without swirls! 8), I dont think you can find one in the stores, I'd let you use mine but they only work for me!
lol I promise you you wont get the results that you will with a machine.
 

BLAZN BOSS

yeah your right, swirls, burnt paint, clearcoat mars............My first place trophies prove my elbow grease works. BUT to each his own.
 

Justin

Save the dawn for your dishes!!!
BLAZN BOSS said:
yeah your right, swirls, burnt paint, clearcoat mars............My first place trophies prove my elbow grease works. BUT to each his own.
are you trying to say a DA causes these? DA's are used to remove swirls not create them. the other two are pretty well impossible to do unless you just turn it on and let it sit in one spot for half an hour....

not saying you cant win tropies if you dont use a machine but you just cant replicate what a machine can do its humanly impossible.

please watch the first video of adams I think you are full of mis information about polishers confusing them with rotary buffers.
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=jM55kroCAAs[/youtube]
 
Justin said:
not saying you cant win tropies if you dont use a machine but you just cant replicate what a machine can do its humanly impossible.

This.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk 2
 

TMO Supporting Vendors

Top