The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

Which Quick Release Splitter Brackets & Other Related Questions

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

So I need to take my bumper off again to box in my intercooler and radiator, and I've been wanting to add a splitter for a while. So against my better judgement I think I'm going to do it.

Since nobody makes bolt-on splitter brackets for S550's I've been looking around at some options. I know @boardkat made his own, but I'd rather just make and weld on an attachment point for a pre-made quick release mechanism. Any other blade quick release mechanisms to consider?

The blade will be most likely 1/2" birch ply or 10mm alumalite. I'd like to add diffuser tunnels as well.

The bottom of the splitter will be ~5" off the ground since this car is dual purpose and I still want to enjoy driving it on the street. I'll design the chassis mount for the QR brackets to allow lowering the splitter another 2" in case I decide I want the splitter lower down the road.

Professional Awesome:

Racebred:

My next question is regarding the importance of a wind fence. My current plan is to level out the bottom angle of my current chin spoiler to level it with the ground, fill in the gap between bumper and chin spoiler air tight somehow and snug up the splitter blade under the chin spoiler. So the bumper and chin spoiler will be more or less air tight above the blade, but there will not be a vertical fence. Will the lack of a vertical fence make a big difference in splitter effectiveness in this scenario? Pic of current chin spoiler for reference:

7C1C1259-B352-4716-8B5E-ECCFAB93A42B.jpeg

I'll probably also integrate spats somehow since my front tires are a few inches outside the bottom of the fender well. Should spats be flush with the outboard edge of the tire/wheel or offset inboard or outboard some?

Sorry for all the newb questions, thanks in advance for any and all suggestions and critique.

Last edited:
Since none of us own a wind tunnel, designing aero
devices is a hit and miss. For this reason, I'm a big believer in letting someone else figure it out, then copying them.
Here's the GT4 Mustang'
Don't forget, you will need the rear wing as well as the hood

y1X2H2jl.jpg

4MCGCPrl.jpg

UI3BfnVl.jpg

Bay Area
So I need to take my bumper off again to box in my intercooler and radiator, and I've been wanting to add a splitter for a while. So against my better judgement I think I'm going to do it.

Since nobody makes bolt-on splitter brackets for S550's I've been looking around at some options. I know @boardkat made his own, but I'd rather just make and weld on an attachment point for a pre-made quick release mechanism. Any other blade quick release mechanisms to consider?

The blade will be most likely 1/2" birch ply or 10mm alumalite. I'd like to add diffuser tunnels as well.

The bottom of the splitter will be ~5" off the ground since this car is dual purpose and I still want to enjoy driving it on the street. I'll design the chassis mount for the QR brackets to allow lowering the splitter another 2" in case I decide I want the splitter lower down the road.

Professional Awesome:

Racebred:

My next question is regarding the importance of a wind fence. My current plan is to level out the bottom angle of my current chin spoiler to level it with the ground, fill in the gap between bumper and chin spoiler air tight somehow and snug up the splitter blade under the chin spoiler. So the bumper and chin spoiler will be more or less air tight above the blade, but there will not be a vertical fence. Will the lack of a vertical fence make a big difference in splitter effectiveness in this scenario? Pic of current chin spoiler for reference:

View attachment 63491

I'll probably also integrate spats somehow since my front tires are a few inches outside the bottom of the fender well. Should spats be flush with the outboard edge of the tire/wheel or offset inboard or outboard some?

Sorry for all the newb questions, thanks in advance for any and all suggestions and critique.
Did you ever figure this out? I'm looking and talking to @flyhalf about his but he's been very busy

Exp. Type
Time Attack
Exp. Level
10-20 Years
The PA mounts seem like the best answer, as you can rig cables to the release latch. May have to get creative to bush the brackets together during the mounting process. Thats where the slide together mounts have an advantage.

Yes I did, using the s2k racebred brackets. They fit well with minimal modification. Though getting into the wheel well to reach the brackets to access the keeper pin is challenging with the front wheels on. If I did it again I’d do the PA brackets and rig up the cables. Would have been worth the additional effort.

2C555A6D-15A9-4D24-9DB6-EB2D37EC4613.jpeg
18A0D5F3-5A14-450A-B373-12B7C39239A1.jpeg
3DBD523E-DAF0-4C22-BD04-154B1E2E5C02.jpeg

The PA mounts are great, and I ended up copying my strategy off of their setup for the most part, but with the GT350 there were cooler lines on both sides that directly interfered with the PA mounts so had to design my own to allow them to clear. These aren't "quick release", but each bracket uses bolts that pass through the factory undertray to attach. The trick was makign the mounts functional without having to remove the lines or coolers. By using all the factory splitter attachment points as well as the chassis mounts and splitter rods I can stand on the splitter and bounce on it without issue at almost 220lbs.

52703093549_4a05afd76c_o.jpg
52703327813_9e4114f3f6_o.jpg
52703198143_53d5e78f30_o.jpg

Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
Under 3 Years
Bay Area
Yes I did, using the s2k racebred brackets. They fit well with minimal modification. Though getting into the wheel well to reach the brackets to access the keeper pin is challenging with the front wheels on. If I did it again I’d do the PA brackets and rig up the cables. Would have been worth the additional effort.

View attachment 85797
View attachment 85798
View attachment 85799
The splitter looks awesome! Would you be willing to share the template you used to make this? I'm trying to plan out a good aero package upgrade for the car :)

Exp. Level
Under 3 Years
San Diego
The PA mounts are great, and I ended up copying my strategy off of their setup for the most part, but with the GT350 there were cooler lines on both sides that directly interfered with the PA mounts so had to design my own to allow them to clear. These aren't "quick release", but each bracket uses bolts that pass through the factory undertray to attach. The trick was makign the mounts functional without having to remove the lines or coolers. By using all the factory splitter attachment points as well as the chassis mounts and splitter rods I can stand on the splitter and bounce on it without issue at almost 220lbs.

View attachment 85810
View attachment 85811
View attachment 85812
Mavisky, I’m really interested in this setup. Do you have any more suggestions for mounting and dealing with the cooler lines? Looks like maybe you have some edge protection on the inside of the PA brackets? My splitter dropped on me (read: was bashed against the track multiple times this weekend) and a more robust mounting solution is in order!

Mavisky, I’m really interested in this setup. Do you have any more suggestions for mounting and dealing with the cooler lines? Looks like maybe you have some edge protection on the inside of the PA brackets? My splitter dropped on me (read: was bashed against the track multiple times this weekend) and a more robust mounting solution is in order!
My units are not actual PA mounts but rather fully custom built in my garage. There is rubber hose that's been split to line the opening to prevent unwanted chafing.

steveespo

Lord knows I'm a Voodoo Child
Exp. Type
W2W Racing
Exp. Level
10-20 Years
Cookeville TN

Professional Awesome:

Racebred:

View attachment 63491

I have a pair of the professional awesome brackets available, they are the universal length that can be cut or bet to suit. $100 shipped for the pair. Steve

Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
Under 3 Years
MD

Contact @flyhalf for more info if needed

Last edited:

Contact @flyhalf for more info if needed
Flyhalf's solution seems to be a great one for and he mounts the splitter mounts more inboard than my setup does. This may be why he also suggests outer support rods along with forward support rods similar to AJ Hartman's configuration. On a GT350 though it almost looks like Seed Italia's setup may be right in the way of the factory brake ducting if that's a concern for @Voodoo Stoned though.

When you factor in the GT350's mounting locations, brake ducts, oil and trans cooler lines, and oil and trans cooler ducts. There's not a ton of space to put a mounting solution in there.

Verus and AJ Hartman have the cleanest GT350 specific mounting solutions in my opinion and I know that Verus will sell you their mounting solution as a standalone unit if you reach out to them directly, or at least they quoted me a very reasonable price on it before I decided to go with my own solution for the hell of it.

Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
Under 3 Years
MD
Flyhalf's solution seems to be a great one for and he mounts the splitter mounts more inboard than my setup does. This may be why he also suggests outer support rods along with forward support rods similar to AJ Hartman's configuration. On a GT350 though it almost looks like Seed Italia's setup may be right in the way of the factory brake ducting if that's a concern for @Voodoo Stoned though.

When you factor in the GT350's mounting locations, brake ducts, oil and trans cooler lines, and oil and trans cooler ducts. There's not a ton of space to put a mounting solution in there.

Verus and AJ Hartman have the cleanest GT350 specific mounting solutions in my opinion and I know that Verus will sell you their mounting solution as a standalone unit if you reach out to them directly, or at least they quoted me a very reasonable price on it before I decided to go with my own solution for the hell of it.
I want one from AJ. I’ll give myself one chance with CF splitter. If I go off and damage it then good ol wood it is lol. Verus option looks more like a splitter extension than a splitter blade. But I know they have the data to back it up.

I want one from AJ. I’ll give myself one chance with CF splitter. If I go off and damage it then good ol wood it is lol. Verus option looks more like a splitter extension than a splitter blade. But I know they have the data to back it up.
Agreed. AJ's is about the only 3D front splitter out there. The rest are flat and maybe include tunnels. I'm relying on the factory GT350 underbody tunnels as they're bigger than I'd be allowed in my class so my setup if just a large front splitter extension essentially.

Bay Area

There is a solution for that. Look at how MAVISKY cut holes in the crash bar and put the splitter rods more in the center. I have on the Ale's systems and I am making adjustment for it to fit my GT350 without removing ducts and stuff. We already tried it out and I want to keep what the Ford Engineers put there. I put mine back together for the time being until I have my new blade made

There is a solution for that. Look at how MAVISKY cut holes in the crash bar and put the splitter rods more in the center. I have on the Ale's systems and I am making adjustment for it to fit my GT350 without removing ducts and stuff. We already tried it out and I want to keep what the Ford Engineers put there. I put mine back together for the time being until I have my new blade made
Are you replying to my comment and suggesting I look at the way I setup my splitter for an answer to the problem? LOL. My primary concern was the location of the primary mounts compared to mine and how that may interfere with the brake ducts. Even with where my primary mounts are situated, I had to notch the brake ducts to get them to line up to the bumper corrrectly. Moving them more towards the center would put them square in the middle of the brake ducts on a stock GT350. You'd have to move them a few inches towards the center and try to split the slim gap between the radiator duct and the brake duct. It may clear, but based on initial observations I have some concerns as Speed Italia's setup is based on a GT front bumper and ducting.

Exp. Level
Under 3 Years
San Diego
Are you replying to my comment and suggesting I look at the way I setup my splitter for an answer to the problem? LOL. My primary concern was the location of the primary mounts compared to mine and how that may interfere with the brake ducts. Even with where my primary mounts are situated, I had to notch the brake ducts to get them to line up to the bumper corrrectly. Moving them more towards the center would put them square in the middle of the brake ducts on a stock GT350. You'd have to move them a few inches towards the center and try to split the slim gap between the radiator duct and the brake duct. It may clear, but based on initial observations I have some concerns as Speed Italia's setup is based on a GT front bumper and ducting.
I am glad you said this, because this was exactly my concern - I’d still have to try and wedge everything in. The brake ducts are the big obstacle to try and work around. I sat on the garage floor for two hours last night with various pieces of sheet metal and tubing and whatnot to try and mock something workable up. Ended up spending more time staring and stumped than wrenching.

Exp. Level
Under 3 Years
San Diego
I am glad you said this, because this was exactly my concern - I’d still have to try and wedge everything in. The brake ducts are the big obstacle to try and work around. I sat on the garage floor for two hours last night with various pieces of sheet metal and tubing and whatnot to try and mock something workable up. Ended up spending more time staring and stumped than wrenching.

PS - thank you for the lead on the Verus stuff.

Bay Area
I was replying to you. You can drill some holes, preferably in the rear of the crash bar for access. Then drill two holes in the bottom. (where you want the support rods to mount) then put them in and run the same way as a Mustang w/out the GT350 ducts. I hope this was clear to you. If not maybe ill post pics when I get to mine in when I have my blade made.

TMO Supporting Vendors

Buy TMO Apparel

Buy TMO Apparel