The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

Winter mods

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Gary your car looks great. It looks like you got your wife to wax it for you too. ;)

Steve, how's the Wood Brothers theme coming along? When's the 302S hood going to be finished? What did you use to make the headlight covers?

302BOB said:
Gary, You've had your car for almost a year & it still looks like brand new! I'm impressed...Mine's coming up on 4 month's old (3500 miles) & still looks brand new But I have a long ways to go to catch up to you.
Thanks. I have about 6800 miles on it and 2000 of those are on the track. I take good care of it but tracking it is pretty hard on the front. The front clip's pretty pitted and the windshield is completely hailed. I'll be replacing the windshield this summer at some point, but I'll wait for the next big rock chip first ;D The clear bra definitely helps the fender and front of the hood. I'll be putting it on the front of the Tiger hood after the paint cures.

steveespo

Lord knows I'm a Voodoo Child
Exp. Type
W2W Racing
Exp. Level
10-20 Years
Cookeville TN
Rick
I made the covers out of .020 aluminum, primed and then painted Wood Brothers Race Red. Decal is from NASCAR shop. I used 3M 1/2" wide grip it ez pass style Velcro to hold them, about 12" total on each, the area at the fender actually tucks up under to lock it in. Have to test at speed, I think it looks better than blue tape though.
I did this today, my 302S hood is just waiting for my painter to get some free time, he does me favors so I have to go by his schedule, probably next week.
Steve

Steve
Wow the car is looking great, nice work. Looking forward to pics of the finished project.

Gary
What was the name of the rubber remover spray that was posted a while back? Does it just clean or is it also like a wax? Any downsides like build up over time?

drano38

Wayne
Gary,
Quit posting pics of the hood!
I don't have that mod on this winter's budget. :mad:
Sure looks nice though - and I bet you got rid of most of that snow in today's heat wave.
Maybe we can get some track action shots this summer.

60 degrees in Ny today and tomorrow. I couldn't resist. I took her out! Here's a pic of a "winter mod", if you can call this winter, I'm working on
This is the back panel from my rear seat delete.
IMAG0126.png
IMAG0125-1.png

Does it require new holes on the Boss? It says it does for the V6/GT spoiler swap.

Also anyone who has one, the transmission scoop, how far does it hang below the brace? I'd like to get one but I don't want to bottom out. Is it lower than the exhaust?

CaliMR said:
Does it require new holes on the Boss? It says it does for the V6/GT spoiler swap.
Yes it uses the four existing holes and then you drill four additional holes. The GT500 rear spoiler is a direct bolt-on and has slightly less downforce. Stick with OEM on either spoiler. ;)

For a really cool look try the TruCarbon CF GT500 spoiler.

http://www.trucarbon.net/Trucarbon_Mustang_Carbon_Fiber_GT500_Spoiler_p/tc10025-dca42kr.htm

drano38

Wayne
Finished FRPP/ARP stud swap. Got them from CJ Pony for about $185. They don't keep them in stock, but shipped 6 days after I ordered.

Hardware store trip for sacrificial nut and lug nut. Spun nut on w/in ~1/2" of hub, put on sacrificial lug nut, grabbed 3 lb dead blow BFH, and smacked them out. Most popped out with 1 or 2 strikes. Some took more. The rear stud heads are much closer to the ABS ring than fronts, so adjust stop nut accordingly.
Here's pics:
20120128141629.jpg

Front stud out.
20120128141809.jpg

To pull new studs in, I went to the hardware store and got a 5/8" inside diameter by 1" long steel collar and a washer (1" long water pipe nipple may work also). Slid those over the stud, then used the impact to pull them in. I don't have a long impact socket, so I used a spark plug socket, and needed the steel collar for the long studs.
Here's the rear hub showing collar, washer, nut:
20120131193807.jpg

Done:
20120131193914.jpg

Yep, look like everyone's photos
20120131201649.jpg

drano38 said:
Finished FRPP/ARP stud swap. Got them from CJ Pony for about $185. They don't keep them in stock, but shipped 6 days after I ordered.

Hardware store trip for sacrificial nut and lug nut. Spun nut on w/in ~1/2" of hub, put on sacrificial lug nut, grabbed 3 lb dead blow BFH, and smacked them out. Most popped out with 1 or 2 strikes. Some took more. The rear stud heads are much closer to the ABS ring than fronts, so adjust stop nut accordingly.

Good job and nice pics.

TMO Supporting Vendors

Buy TMO Apparel

Buy TMO Apparel