The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

WTB: Brembo S197 spare tire.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Duane Black

Curbs go brrrppp
Exp. Type
Time Attack
Exp. Level
5-10 Years
Durham, NC
I put the larger s197 brakes on my car (even gt over v6 means the spare wont fit the front) and now my factory v6 wont fit the front wheels, and if i put these gt500 rotors on the back, it wont fit there either.

I honestly dont know if a standard GT car and a Brembo car take the same spare

So does anyone have car they converted to track purposes that could sell me the OEM spare tire?

Grant 302

basic and well known psychic
Brembo equipped cars didn't come with spares. Just the inflator and fix a flat kit. Maybe the older GT500s had one, but Boss/Brembo GT and Track Pack cars 2011+ didn't.

Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
5-10 Years
Philly Metro Area
My car was born with the base GT sliding calipers.. The spare tire it came with fits fine over the upgraded GT500 rear brake assembly. I have a 2 or 2-1/2 inch adapter that will bolt to the front hub with a separate set of lugs and then the spare tire wheel bolt onto that.

You also have the option of carrying an extra scissors jack or 6x6 block of wood and swapping a good rear tire to your front tire and putting spare on the rear.

If you have a Torsen differential there are some additional complexities for a spare on the rear axle but it's enough to get you off the road to a service station.

There is also an alternative of getting a Weld drag wheel and a small tire that will fit in your spare tire well. I don't have that info readily available if you're interested I can dig it up

I will have to get back to you with the exact size of the adapter I use.

Last edited:
Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
5-10 Years
Philly Metro Area
I've heard it mentioned that you should not drive with different diameter tires on the rear axle of a car with a Torsen differential due to the way it operates. I don't recall the difference between my 27" tires and the spare but I don't think it will matter if I drive it at 50-55mph or less to get off the highway or to a service station. I could always let a little air out from the other side to partially compensate.

To avoid that issue, a "full size" spare has been discussed as in full diameter but thin enough it will not poke above the floor cover,

This is the thread I was thinking about:
https://www.allfordmustangs.com/for...011-mustang-gt-brembo-package-full-spare.html

But I found this in the process of searching for the thread:
https://www.automotiveauthorityllc....-2015-2017-ford-mustang-gt-with-brembo-brakes

I can't find the adapter listing but here are pics from the ad that I saved. This allows the 18" spare to fit the 4 pot Brembos. Not sure if it will work for the 6-pot 13-14 GT500 calipers. No way the S550 calipers:
Spare Adapter1.jpgSpare Adapter2.jpg

Last edited:

Duane Black

Curbs go brrrppp
Exp. Type
Time Attack
Exp. Level
5-10 Years
Durham, NC
So then all I would need is a spare...

I do have a T2R on the back so that rear situation is important to me. I had a flat going to Florida and had to run a Hankook for 400 miles to Florida on the front.

TMO Supporting Vendors

Buy TMO Apparel

Buy TMO Apparel