The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

  • Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

1st Mod

Looking to do a 1st mod to my 12 Boss, seems most suggest a CAI and Tune. My question is do you really need the CAI? I have read that Ford did a good job with the factory airbox. If the factory airbox flows as good or close, I was thinking about putting the money from the CAI into an X pipe. Any info on this combo (X pipe and tune)would be appreciated.
 
Great question and I suspect all the CAI manufacturers will say yes. What's interesting is member Shaun from AED was able to break into the 10's with the stock CAI. Here you go:

https://trackmustangsonline.com/boss-302-racing/bolt-on-all-motor-aed-gt-goes-10's/
 

SteedaBrandon

T1000 said:
Looking to do a 1st mod to my 12 Boss, seems most suggest a CAI and Tune. My question is do you really need the CAI? I have read that Ford did a good job with the factory airbox. If the factory airbox flows as good or close, I was thinking about putting the money from the CAI into an X pipe. Any info on this combo (X pipe and tune)would be appreciated.
We've seen peak-to-peak gains of up to 28 HP & 22 ft/lbs TQ to the wheels with our Boss CAI and Steeda custom tune. And point-to-point gains of up to 32 HP & 25 ft/lbs TQ to the wheels.

The stock airbox is decent, but our's is better and does make more power.
 
Mgw and make sure to get the heat shield it's worth every cent so far the mgw has been the best/most needed mod to me for this car.
 

PeteInCT

#LS-378 - So many Porsche's, so little time....
Moderator
2,848
14
Connecticut
Leave the engine alone brother, trust me. Do suspension, shifter, pads/lines, maybe some Aero, weight loss changes. Unless you are dragging your Boss I'd leave that Coyote engine right where it is - at least for a little while. This engine/tranny/rear combo is very new and there are still some gremlins to be worked out. Guys who track their cars heavily (like myself) have seen this first hand.
 

jec246

I did the sound tube delete first. MGW is next. Still waiting for it...
 

Sesshomurai

PeteInCT said:
Leave the engine alone brother, trust me. Do suspension, shifter, pads/lines, maybe some Aero, weight loss changes. Unless you are dragging your Boss I'd leave that Coyote engine right where it is - at least for a little while. This engine/tranny/rear combo is very new and there are still some gremlins to be worked out. Guys who track their cars heavily (like myself) have seen this first hand.

Agree 100%. I'd add to the above list maybe exhaust (mufflers mainly), tires, and wheels as other not obtrusive mods that can be reversed if need be but provide some value add.
 
+1 on the MGW shifter, I recieved my in the mail this week, have'nt installed it yet tho.. I got mine for 390.00 w/heat shield + shipping. They told me that's the way they were going to start selling them in a package together.
 

ace72ace

Zaino, I put that $hit on everything
1,242
71
+1 on the MGW w/heat shield, Cooltech sound tube delete, and 5/8 or 3/4 restrictor plates w/GT500 mufflers. ;D
 
SteedaBrandon said:
T1000 said:
Looking to do a 1st mod to my 12 Boss, seems most suggest a CAI and Tune. My question is do you really need the CAI? I have read that Ford did a good job with the factory airbox. If the factory airbox flows as good or close, I was thinking about putting the money from the CAI into an X pipe. Any info on this combo (X pipe and tune)would be appreciated.
We've seen peak-to-peak gains of up to 28 HP & 22 ft/lbs TQ to the wheels with our Boss CAI and Steeda custom tune. And point-to-point gains of up to 32 HP & 25 ft/lbs TQ to the wheels.

The stock airbox is decent, but our's is better and does make more power.

28 WHEEL hp from a CAI and tune????? riiiiiiiiiiiiiight. funny how most all numbers I have seen with a CAI and tune are more REALISTICALLY around 12-15 WHEEL hp.. please show me a bone stock dyno run, let the car cool down for a bit, put your CAI and tune on it and make 28 more WHEEL hp..
 

Justin

Save the dawn for your dishes!!!
RSKtakR said:
SteedaBrandon said:
T1000 said:
Looking to do a 1st mod to my 12 Boss, seems most suggest a CAI and Tune. My question is do you really need the CAI? I have read that Ford did a good job with the factory airbox. If the factory airbox flows as good or close, I was thinking about putting the money from the CAI into an X pipe. Any info on this combo (X pipe and tune)would be appreciated.
We've seen peak-to-peak gains of up to 28 HP & 22 ft/lbs TQ to the wheels with our Boss CAI and Steeda custom tune. And point-to-point gains of up to 32 HP & 25 ft/lbs TQ to the wheels.

The stock airbox is decent, but our's is better and does make more power.

28 WHEEL hp from a CAI and tune????? riiiiiiiiiiiiiight. funny how most all numbers I have seen with a CAI and tune are more REALISTICALLY around 12-15 WHEEL hp.. please show me a bone stock dyno run, let the car cool down for a bit, put your CAI and tune on it and make 28 more WHEEL hp..
I have the CAI and tune and it sure does feel like it gained that much.
 
I put my car on the dyno bone stock, then put the CAI on while it was on the dyno, loaded the tune, and the car made 12 more rwhp... A 28 wheel hp gain from just a tune and CAI is just a bit far fetched. LT's only gain 15-25whp. a CAI and tune ADD 28 whp?? LAFF I would have to see the before and after dyno sheets with a date and time stamp to believe that.
 

Bill Pemberton

0ld Ford Automotive Racing Terror
6,409
5,298
Exp. Type
W2W Racing
Exp. Level
20+ Years
Blair, Nebraska
MGW first and foremost like so many others have said. Do you have a Trackey? If so leave those other things out and leave the engine stock. Heck, you can get a Trackey and still get a Ford Extended Warranty. Obviously out of the picture once you start doing custom tunes.
 
Thanks for all the suggestions, I have already put in a Barton shifter with the 2 post trans mount. So although I know you all recommend a MGW, I really like the Barton. I do have track key, but am not really feeling much from it, maybe it's just me, but my quarter mile times were identical with each key. I think I'm going to look at air intake and exhaust and see what that does.
 

Justin

Save the dawn for your dishes!!!
T1000 said:
Thanks for all the suggestions, I have already put in a Barton shifter with the 2 post trans mount. So although I know you all recommend a MGW, I really like the Barton. I do have track key, but am not really feeling much from it, maybe it's just me, but my quarter mile times were identical with each key. I think I'm going to look at air intake and exhaust and see what that does.
so its your second mod then lol

I used to have trackey as well. Went to a Steeda CAI and tune. Wish I would just have skipped the TK and went right with the CAI and tune.
 
Good Point Justin, I guess it is my second mod!! I'm going to go with the Airaid CAI and I'm looking at going with an AED tune. In talking with Shaun at AED he seem to be really on his game. I'm also going to go with the cat delete pipes keeping the balance of the factory exhaust.
 

TMO Supporting Vendors

Top