The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

1st Mod

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

PeteInCT

#LS-378 - So many Porsche's, so little time....
Connecticut
TK was never about an increase in HP or TQ.; On a road course its very beneficial IMO, on a 1/4 mile it wouldn't provide much benefit.

Justin said:
I am looking to go with an AED tune in the near future as well.
I look forward to reading your impressions on how the AED compares to the other tunes you have.

Boostd4

Relapsed Turbo Addict
In general, NA cars really don't get much of a gain from CAIs or even exhausts for that matter. I'm coming from a world of turbocharged cars that can pick up 40-50whp with no changes other than a $400 tune...so it's hard for me to drop $300+ on an intake that gains maybe 7-10 whp (if that).

The reality is that other than doing FI on NA cars, any other engine mods are just marketing (at least in my eyes). Given the amount of attention Ford gave the new Boss, it would be hard to convince me that they didn't wring out as much performance as they could out of the RoadRunner. Aside from the obvious margin of safety and emissions...this motor is already "optimized". Trust me, my nature is to start to mod any car that I get my hands on. Modding definitely includes suspension though, which can make just as much of a difference...if not more...than power mods.

I'm concentrating on suspension, cooling, and weight reduction to make the car faster. Also...the little subtle mods like the shifter and catch cans to clean up some of the slop.

Justin

Save the dawn for your dishes!!!
Boostd4 said:
In general, NA cars really don't get much of a gain from CAIs or even exhausts for that matter. I'm coming from a world of turbocharged cars that can pick up 40-50whp with no changes other than a $400 tune...so it's hard for me to drop $300+ on an intake that gains maybe 7-10 whp (if that).

The reality is that other than doing FI on NA cars, any other engine mods are just marketing (at least in my eyes). Given the amount of attention Ford gave the new Boss, it would be hard to convince me that they didn't wring out as much performance as they could out of the RoadRunner. Aside from the obvious margin of safety and emissions...this motor is already "optimized". Trust me, my nature is to start to mod any car that I get my hands on. Modding definitely includes suspension though, which can make just as much of a difference...if not more...than power mods.

I'm concentrating on suspension, cooling, and weight reduction to make the car faster. Also...the little subtle mods like the shifter and catch cans to clean up some of the slop.
you are seriouly miss informed. exhaust and CAI on these motors are worth quite a bit. I dont have dyno numbers but I have my cousins and friends GT's to go off of and they went from stock running 12.70's to running 11.6's with nothing more than CAI and full exhaust with a set sticky tires. A tune and CAI on these cars are worth around 20-24rwhp full exhaust is around 30whp. There are a few of us here that have done CAI tunes and exhaust and not a one of them has said it didnt make a big difference. Now if you go with a No tune required CAI then yes you arent going to see any gains. Nor will you see any real gains from an axle back exhaust. the gains in the exhaust are from the mid pipe and headers. There is so much that can be changed in the programming of these cars that ford went conservative with as they have to produce a car that the normal everyday person can drive and not complain about.

But if you are set in your ways and think that a tune and minor bolt ons are not worth power then there is no use in me continuing to try and convince you other wise as there are hundreds and hundreds of before and afters out there to look up that will disprove you time and time again.

Boostd4

Relapsed Turbo Addict
Justin said:
Boostd4 said:

you are seriouly miss informed. exhaust and CAI on these motors are worth quite a bit. I dont have dyno numbers but I have my cousins and friends GT's to go off of and they went from stock running 12.70's to running 11.6's with nothing more than CAI and full exhaust with a set sticky tires. A tune and CAI on these cars are worth around 20-24rwhp full exhaust is around 30whp. There are a few of us here that have done CAI tunes and exhaust and not a one of them has said it didnt make a big difference. Now if you go with a No tune required CAI then yes you arent going to see any gains. Nor will you see any real gains from an axle back exhaust. the gains in the exhaust are from the mid pipe and headers. There is so much that can be changed in the programming of these cars that ford went conservative with as they have to produce a car that the normal everyday person can drive and not complain about.

But if you are set in your ways and think that a tune and minor bolt ons are not worth power then there is no use in me continuing to try and convince you other wise as there are hundreds and hundreds of before and afters out there to look up that will disprove you time and time again.

Oh I'm sure there are gains to be had...don't get me wrong. But as I stated in my post, in my eyes, the money is better spent in other areas. I'll give you an example, with my last car...which was a turbocharged 4 cylinder...I was able to go from 305awhp to about 397whp with a $700 investment (injectors, fuel pump, E85 and a tune). Now, you can lay this over pretty much any type of FI setup and obviously the gains will be dramatic compared to NA cars.

Now, let's take a look at your suggestion. I'm just going to use round numbers for the costs because I'm admittedly new to the Roadrunner motor (but not high compression NA motors). So the average intake system for this car is let's say $300. A full header back exhaust is about $2000 (roughly). Then let's say a tune is $300-400. We're sitting at about $2700 for 50-54whp. That much of a gain is by no means unnoticeable, but is it cost effective? In my opinion, the $2700 would be better spent on suspension and possibly better tires.

So seriously misinformed...no. Different focus areas on making a car faster...yes.

Justin

Boostd4 said:
Justin said:
Boostd4 said:

Oh I'm sure there are gains to be had...don't get me wrong. But as I stated in my post, in my eyes, the money is better spent in other areas. I'll give you an example, with my last car...which was a turbocharged 4 cylinder...I was able to go from 305awhp to about 397whp with a $700 investment (injectors, fuel pump, E85 and a tune). Now, you can lay this over pretty much any type of FI setup and obviously the gains will be dramatic compared to NA cars.

Now, let's take a look at your suggestion. I'm just going to use round numbers for the costs because I'm admittedly new to the Roadrunner motor (but not high compression NA motors). So the average intake system for this car is let's say $300. A full header back exhaust is about $2000 (roughly). Then let's say a tune is $300-400. We're sitting at about $2700 for 50-54whp. That much of a gain is by no means unnoticeable, but is it cost effective? In my opinion, the $2700 would be better spent on suspension and possibly better tires.

So seriously misinformed...no. Different focus areas on making a car faster...yes.
well you can get around 150 hp for about 1200 comes in a bottle and comes with a tuner. :)

Boostd4

Relapsed Turbo Addict
Justin said:
Boostd4 said:
Justin said:
Boostd4 said:

well you can get around 150 hp for about 1200 comes in a bottle and comes with a tuner. :)

This is very true. ;)

Hey guys, thanks so much for all your thoughts. I agree that it all depends on what your goal is. Mine is on Drag Racing, but I'm trying to do it in street trim i.e. just like I drive it on the street (no slicks) I know it's harder this way, but I'm focused on making it happen this way. Thanks again

Justin

T1000 said:
Hey guys, thanks so much for all your thoughts. I agree that it all depends on what your goal is. Mine is on Drag Racing, but I'm trying to do it in street trim i.e. just like I drive it on the street (no slicks) I know it's harder this way, but I'm focused on making it happen this way. Thanks again
I would get the suspension in the rear done to start with. UCA and LCA would be a good start

Justin said:
T1000 said:
Thanks for all the suggestions, I have already put in a Barton shifter with the 2 post trans mount. So although I know you all recommend a MGW, I really like the Barton. I do have track key, but am not really feeling much from it, maybe it's just me, but my quarter mile times were identical with each key. I think I'm going to look at air intake and exhaust and see what that does.
so its your second mod then lol

I used to have trackey as well. Went to a Steeda CAI and tune. Wish I would just have skipped the TK and went right with the CAI and tune.

I've been keeping up with your posts because you have been experimenting with various tunes. What makes me think tunes are not worth the effort is your MPH. I could be mistaken, but I think you are running the same MPH with the Steeda tune as when you had the TK. Am I wrong?

Justin

seca954 said:
Justin said:
T1000 said:
Thanks for all the suggestions, I have already put in a Barton shifter with the 2 post trans mount. So although I know you all recommend a MGW, I really like the Barton. I do have track key, but am not really feeling much from it, maybe it's just me, but my quarter mile times were identical with each key. I think I'm going to look at air intake and exhaust and see what that does.
so its your second mod then lol

I used to have trackey as well. Went to a Steeda CAI and tune. Wish I would just have skipped the TK and went right with the CAI and tune.

I've been keeping up with your posts because you have been experimenting with various tunes. What makes me think tunes are not worth the effort is your MPH. I could be mistaken, but I think you are running the same MPH with the Steeda tune as when you had the TK. Am I wrong?
you are correct but the da that day with the tune was 1000ft worse and the humidity was 89% and add to that the almost 2" difference in the et streets and et drags it means there was more power to make the same mph in worse conditions and lower gearing (taller tire is like going to a lower gear like 3.31's as an example). My next tune I am going to try is AED. But for the time I got a clutch issue to deal with before I will go back to the track

[/quote]you are correct but the da that day with the tune was 1000ft worse and the humidity was 89% and add to that the almost 2" difference in the et streets and et drags it means there was more power to make the same mph in worse conditions and lower gearing (taller tire is like going to a lower gear like 3.31's as an example). My next tune I am going to try is AED. But for the time I got a clutch issue to deal with before I will go back to the track
[/quote]

Justin, I don't mean to hijack the thread but I think you had also mentioned that 28" tires killed the car. Do you think 4:10's with the 28" tires would solve your complaint? It's a thought that came to me today and I am just too lazy to search for the original thread.

Justin

yeah I think it would but a gear change is more complicated than just going with a shorter tire. atleast when I go back to street tires its 3.73 and I dont have to give up the extra mpg on the street

TMO Supporting Vendors