The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

2012 Boss 302 LS vs. Camaro ZL1 in March MT

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Another review of the ZL1.

http://www.motorauthority.com/news/1072064_2012-chevrolet-camaro-zl1-first-drive

Car and Driver review. My favorite quote:

"That the ZL1 is the best Camaro ever is perhaps not a huge surprise. That it’s a damned fine all-around GT car is a little more shocking. But let’s face it: The big whoa here is the one the boys in Dearborn sprung, in the form of a Mustang with the world’s most powerful production V-8. Is it any fairer to judge the ZL1 on its 12-percent peak-horsepower deficit than to assume that the 2013 GT500 is a 12-percent-better car? Of course not. Still, the big fish eat the little ones.  And war ain’t fair."

http://www.caranddriver.com/reviews/2012-chevrolet-camaro-zl1-test-review

Yeah I hear the claim they make of being faster but seem as I remember my title to MY boss does not have Obama on it ;D Anyone puts a supercharger on a Boss and that camaro would get waxed:)

BLAZN BOSS

jeepinocala said:
Yeah I hear the claim they make of being faster but seem as I remember my title to MY boss does not have Obama on it ;D Anyone puts a supercharger on a Boss and that camaro would get waxed:)
I believe its lethal performance has supercharged their white boss 302 ..........839 RWHP.............ZL1 my a$$!

98RedGT

2012 #552
nice video, sounds like they like ZL1 but too bad it's production is stopped :eek: due to quality issue

Justin

Save the dawn for your dishes!!!
I sure hope the ZL1 would best it with the money you spend on it. I would expect more of a gap. and as far as the 1/4 mile times....those guys cant drag a car if there life depended upon it

BLAZN BOSS said:
CaliMR said:
I want the red LS accents on my PW Boss

That would look awesome!........expensive but awesome!

If the decals ever go bad and need to be replaced, I'm sure I could have that guy from the other threads whip up a set of red and just paint the grill surround and wing to match. Maybe vinyl wrap the roof, depending how it looks with the black one. I think it would look really good (and I am not a red kind of guy normally) but I wouldn't do it unless it needed new stripes anyways. If I get the GT500 wing, I may do the gurney flap in red. Not sure how it would look with it being the only red on the car, but I can always respray it black.

So a friend of mine brought over his new ZL-1 today. I am by no means a camaro guy, but I think GM did it right with the Zl-1. Yes it's a heavy boat, but they seem to have put a lot into this car. I like the carbon fiber functional hood vent. Also, you can see they at least were thinking about engine temp, almost the entire front grill is open for air flow. Top and bottom. Anyway, it's a really nice car. I would never buy one, but I guess credit is due. They made an over 2 ton car out handle a Boss.

BLAZN BOSS

Tflong24 said:
So a friend of mine brought over his new ZL-1 today. I am by no means a camaro guy, but I think GM did it right with the Zl-1. Yes it's a heavy boat, but they seem to have put a lot into this car. I like the carbon fiber functional hood vent. Also, you can see they at least were thinking about engine temp, almost the entire front grill is open for air flow. Top and bottom. Anyway, it's a really nice car. I would never buy one, but I guess credit is due. They made an over 2 ton car out handle a Boss.
Not that I am bias....well yeah i am.........If Ford waited for Gm to make a ZL-1 BEFORE they created the Boss.......they could have disected it and realized what it would take to beat it in every way............Dont let that pile of _ _ _ t fool you. It grabbed all kinds of piece parts from Caddy and created something....some thing..........Yep spent gobs of GOVT bail out money and saw the level of the bar that the Boss set and BARELY topped it.........and at the end of the day ............if you own a ZL-1, you still own garbage that GM has built. It's been that way since 1967.............GM still hasn't built the better pony car.........never will.

BLAZN BOSS said:
Tflong24 said:
Not that I am bias....well yeah i am.........If Ford waited for Gm to make a ZL-1 BEFORE they created the Boss.......they could have disected it and realized what it would take to beat it in every way............Dont let that pile of _ _ _ t fool you. It grabbed all kinds of piece parts from Caddy and created something....some thing..........Yep spent gobs of GOVT bail out money and saw the level of the bar that the Boss set and BARELY topped it.........and at the end of the day ............if you own a ZL-1, you still own garbage that GM has built. It's been that way since 1967.............GM still hasn't built the better pony car.........never will.

Oh, like I said, I would never buy one. They basically copied what the cts-v is......a overly heavy barge that actually performs. I have never understood why Gm makes their cars so heavy. Minus the vette of course. If they took 400 pounds off the SS camaro it might be a nice car. They are huge cars. It does suck my friend can talk a lot of smack for now. You are correct, Gm built this car after the Boss was released. Let's just hope and hope the 13 GT500 whips the ZL-1s ASS!!!!

Justin

Save the dawn for your dishes!!!
CaliMR said:
If it can hook up and doesn't heat soak.

The Boss is a bit of a pig too, as far as sporty cars go.
now I would love to shoe horn the roadrunner engine in a 1991 rx7....that thing would be wicked. I used to own two rx7's a 1990 GXL and a 1991 Turbo II. very light very nimble cars just needs oh say another 200 hp

TMO Supporting Vendors