The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

2013 Boss 302 Hood Vents for a 2012?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Here are some photos of the new hood with vents. Notice how the vents are covered and only open from one side. I'm sure this is to keep water from falling directly onto some of the engine parts but you have to wonder how functional they are in their stock configuration. They look to be large enough to provide some heat extraction so it will be interesting to see if the 2013's run much cooler when tracking. I'm also curious if opening up the under hood insulation will enhance the heat extraction.

IMG_0636.jpg
IMG_0637.jpg
IMG_0641.jpg
IMG_0640.jpg
IMG_0642.jpg

After seeing these pictures I really do not think they make a big difference simply cause of the way the air moves to get out but if you are worried of overheating just do a better radiator simple and done if you are wanting that grill look ontop of your hood then good luck with all that work I am more then sure it can be done just is it really worth it?

KYBOSSLS said:
Well... 5 . 0 what do you think about the new Boss, over all thoughts on the color? And the changes..
Well since you asked... ;D

I like the looks of the 2013 and think it's about a wash between the two years. Like many other members I like the front of the 2012 better and like the rear of the 2013 better. The fake driving lights and the snout of the 2013 do not look right to me, looks like a fish, and I think the 2012 looks more like a RCWALP. ;) I really like the looks of the 07-09 GT500's (but not the current model) and that was part of the reason why I added the CJ grille to my Boss instead of the 302S grille. I like the new tail lights a lot and they look much better in person.

The matte stripes look nice but it would have been better if Ford had painted the wheels a matte black to match instead of using the gloss black from 2012. I'm not a fan of SBY but color is a personal choice. There is a CO 2012 Boss sitting right next to this one and IMO the CO looks much better. I don't get what all the fuss is over SBY. Give me a Ferrari Fly Yellow or Porsche Speed Yellow any day.

The hood vents look nice and I wish the 2012's had some similar vents. I was originally not a fan of the contrast painted roofs of the 2012 but I've come to appreciate it and that really sets the 2012 Boss 302's apart from just about anything else on the road outside of a mini.

Ford should have made the LS rear spoiler an option on the Boss and I've complained about this before. You can get it on a V6 but not the Boss??? Makes no sense to me. There should also have been an option package or track pack that has the LS front and rear spoiler along with the cooling ducts and trans scoop. I'm sure the marketing guys had something to do with that. :mad:

Does SBY pop at all irl? It looks kind of flat in the pics.

Vented hoods can make a big difference in temps, depending on how functional they are. My old car had a baffle inside to keep water from going through the hood, with it out the car cooled better at low speeds, but with it closed (hood swap for a sleeper-ish look) they would overheat bad. There is a bunch of pressure built up in there, so even how it is stock I would bet a lot of hot air comes out. And any air coming out of the hood will help keep the car planted, like the higher end porsches (though further front would do more, as would wider opening). Looks like you should be able to pull the baffles out.

Will it make a noticeable difference? Only back to back testing will tell for sure but I suspect it will help with temps and maybe slightly with times if you are at a high speed track especially if you open them up.

I am still not a fan of the white roof, though yours looks WAY better with the white grill and tail. Makes it flow a lot better. The black roof reminds me of M3s and some other hi po cars that have had black roofs, and I like the black better than the visible carbon weave some cars have. I just don't like naked carbon, especially after having a car with some and all the issues people had with the clear coats yellowing.

5 DOT 0 said:
Ford should have made the LS rear spoiler an option on the Boss and I've complained about this before. You can get it on a V6 but not the Boss??? Makes no sense to me.

Rick, What are you talking about, you can't order a V6 with the LS rear spoiler, at least not on a 2011 or 2012. If you recall, I had to add one to my wife's V6, just like I did to my Boss.

SoFlaBoss said:
5 DOT 0 said:
Ford should have made the LS rear spoiler an option on the Boss and I've complained about this before. You can get it on a V6 but not the Boss??? Makes no sense to me.

Rick, What are you talking about, you can't order a V6 with the LS rear spoiler, at least not on a 2011 or 2012. If you recall, I had to add one to my wife's V6, just like I did to my Boss.

That's what I thought as well, but when I was ordering mine the part number also showed up for the V6 with Pony Package. ???

From what I can tell these will be hard to put into a 12 hood. I heard someone is working on a kit to fit these or something styled after it, I will pass on anything I hear.

CIMG2911.png
CIMG2912.png

If they went across and were further forward they would probably help more with fighting lift. Like the better P cars have it. Sort of like the Shelbys

I haven't seen a good cowl hood for the 12s yet, but this one is close. It should just start further back so it kind of looks like a short pro street hood.

http://www.steeda.com/store/steeda-mustang-vented-cowl-hood.html

Have you considered a 2010 Saleen hood? It would be the easiest and cleanest way to get functional vents in a 2012 style hood. I am a painter in a body shop, and it would not be an easy task to modify the original hood.
I am considering doing the Saleen thing. Even though it is the easiest way, it will not be the cheapest, but you can always sell the one of the hoods later and recoupe some of the expense.

I am thinking of a boss 302s hood and fabing up some type of pan so the rain does not get in. Will be a few months though Ive spent enough for this month ;D

Another good choice of replacement hood, would be the 2010+ Steeda. I can't recall were I saw it, but a guy (in a video) was literally pouring water into/onto the hood exhaust vent with a garden hose and the motor was almost completely dry.

I'm still considering the 302S hood and grill combination... I want to keep it all in the family, so to speak.

ArizonaBOSS

Because racecar.
Arizona, USA
Guys, the rain is not going to hurt the engine or electronics, they are called weatherpak connectors for a reason. I wash my engine bay with a hose probably once every 3 months as well.

ArizonaGT said:
Guys, the rain is not going to hurt the engine or electronics, they are called weatherpak connectors for a reason. I wash my engine bay with a hose probably once every 3 months as well.
I've done the same on my various cars for over 20 years too with no ill effects. A clean engine bay is a very happy thing!

The hood vents from the 2013 hood will not fit on the 2012 hood if you wanted to install them in the same location on the '12 as they are on the '13. I have taken a '13 inner panel and stacked it on top of a '12 inner panel, and the character lines for the power dome would be right in the middle of the vent. If you moved the vents outward, then they would be above the shock towers. Moving them inward on the power dome would probably work, but I don't think they would look good that close together. I think the Tiger hood is the best route to go.

NFSBOSS said:
I really want these vents on my 2012 hood. There must be a way to add them and since the led lights made of aluminum that might make it easier to recess the vents like the 2013. Has anyone ever done something like this?

2013-mustang-045.jpg

hello friend were you able to get these vents. I am looking for similar ones so can you tell best source to get these vents?

TMO Supporting Vendors

Buy TMO Apparel

Buy TMO Apparel